News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

What settings are you using on your Bolton controller?

Started by Traildad, February 25, 2024, 03:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Traildad

I went on my first real ride today since I upgraded my controller to an Area 13 controller on my Rad 6+. The delay for pedal assist seemed to be a problem as I started off from a stop. It?s ok if I use the hand throttle from a stop and let the pedal assist take over. I?m thinking I want to reduce or eliminate the delay. I?m wondering how everyone has set all the different settings on their Bolton controllers and why they chose what they did.

John Rose

I always use the throttle to get going from a stop anyway, and that seems to be the advice that most instructional videos give. I like having a few seconds to get my feet off the ground and settled onto the pedals.

On my unmodified RadExpand 5 the PAS delay is about 1/3 of a pedal turn, and even then it ramps up. I think it's meant as a safety feature so that it doesn't take off if you merely look real hard at the pedals.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

JimInPT

Here are my settings, along with some older ones (latest stable settings are on the left; haven't felt the need to tweak further is almost 2 years).  Note that these are for a 2021 MiniST2 with 20" rims - YMMV depending on bike model:
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Traildad

Quote from: John Rose on February 26, 2024, 02:40:04 AM
I always use the throttle to get going from a stop anyway, and that seems to be the advice that most instructional videos give. I like having a few seconds to get my feet off the ground and settled onto the pedals.

On my unmodified RadExpand 5 the PAS delay is about 1/3 of a pedal turn, and even then it ramps up. I think it's meant as a safety feature so that it doesn't take off if you merely look real hard at the pedals.
I think I?m getting closer to 360 degrees of rotation or more. I didn?t pay close attention to how much it was, but it?s more than I want.

Traildad

Quote from: JimInPT on February 26, 2024, 12:25:46 PM
Here are my settings, along with some older ones (latest stable settings are on the left; haven't felt the need to tweak further is almost 2 years).  Note that these are for a 2021 MiniST2 with 20" rims - YMMV depending on bike model:
Thanks, I?ll check it out.