News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadExpand 5 bike repair stand?

Started by Frank J Benison, February 18, 2024, 11:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Frank J Benison

What repair stand works for the Rad Expand 5?

John Rose

I've been wondering about that myself, for a RadExpand 5 and a RadMini ST 2.
A lot of the budget stands on Amazon top out at 60-ish pounds capacity, which is just under the weight of the RadExpand 5 (62.5 lbs.) and the Rad Mini ST2 (69 lbs.)

Above that range the price pretty much doubles, and those still get enough bad ratings to cause concern.

I've been thinking about a DIY solution just to get the rear wheel off the floor, like two A-frames and a bar that slides through just under the rear rack. The design is still simmering in the back of my brain.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

handlebar

I have three approaches. One is to get the stuff on the handlebar out of the way and turn a bike over. Another is to put the center stand on a cement block.

The third is a quarter-ton chain hoist, which I bought 6 months ago to put a riding mower on blocks for under-deck maintenance. I put a massive eye bolt through a 4 x 4, which I rested across rungs of a Little Giant ladder set up as an 11-foot a-frame. I weighed an ebike that way. For maintenance, it might work better to hang the hoist from a rafter or a board across rafters. Ropes could prevent unwanted swinging.

John Rose

Quote from: handlebar on February 19, 2024, 05:29:37 AM
I have three approaches. One is to get the stuff on the handlebar out of the way and turn a bike over.
I used to do that for my acoustic bikes, but now I have all this ... furniture on my e-bike handlebars that add to the time and effort.
A pair of handlebar jack stands would solve that, but then you still have to flip it over. Also, most of them look rather short.

QuoteAnother is to put the center stand on a cement block.
I thought about that too, but it seemed precarious.

QuoteThe third is a quarter-ton chain hoist, which I bought 6 months ago to put a riding mower on blocks for under-deck maintenance. I put a massive eye bolt through a 4 x 4, which I rested across rungs of a Little Giant ladder set up as an 11-foot a-frame. I weighed an ebike that way.
"Go big or go home", right?

QuoteFor maintenance, it might work better to hang the hoist from a rafter or a board across rafters. Ropes could prevent unwanted swinging.
I tried that too, hanging from the joists in my basement. Trying to get rid of the swinging was a big production.

My latest "thought experiment" is something like this motorcycle stand ...

... but taller (to support it by a bar under the rear rack) and backwards, so as not to get in the way of adjustments to the derailleur or brakes. Wheels are not necessary. And make it out of scrap plywood and lumber I already have in the basement.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

handlebar

Quote from: John Rose on February 19, 2024, 10:44:18 AM
Quote from: handlebar on February 19, 2024, 05:29:37 AM

QuoteAnother is to put the center stand on a cement block.
I thought about that too, but it seemed precarious.

I know. I tried it to change my back tire on my Abound. The axle resisted being shoved back into the dropouts, and I pushed the bike off the stand. Lashing the front brake would have prevented that, but I learned it's better to invert the bike. When it's upright, you can't see both dropouts at once, and you're fighting gravity.

I like to check tire pressure with the valve at 6 o'clock, where I get the most clearance and pushing the valve open won't roll the bike. This entails getting down on my knees and getting back up. So far I don't have an elevated surface for pressure checks

SemperVee

JimInPT

I use this one for my (similar) MiniST2:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R452R8K

Goes on sale now and then, and used ones are often available (with return options if you don't like it).  There's a good demo video on that linked page.  Works well, very strong (my Mini is about 90 lbs with battery and all locks/accessories), solid metal where it needs to be, legs that don't get in the way unlike simple tripods, clamp rotates/tilts to various angles - just make sure you have a place to grab the bike near its C.G.; not so easy on some folders.  I have a removable crossbar that goes between the handlebar stem and seatpost for carrying it on a car rack, so that works for me.

I think the best way to get it onto the rack, especially for us old people, is to set the grabbing mechanism where it needs to be and make sure its wide open, then stand on a box or stepladder and deadlift the bike straight up a few inches to drop it into place.  The first couple times, you'll probably have to fiddle with height and fore/aft positioning for best balance and access.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.