News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Converting a Fosmon bike alarm from an AAA into 18650 battery. 4.5v vs 5.0v

Started by Naranja_CT5+, February 17, 2024, 09:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Naranja_CT5+

First of all, it doesn?t escape me that I am most likely overthinking this issue.
Having said that. Since the bike alarm is going to be hidden. I don?t want the inconvenience of having to pull out the AAA batteries inside the case of the alarm often therefore I want to convert it to a USB.

my concern is the type of battery I should be using. This is my thinking.
A single 18650 battery is safer because the max output is 4.2v. As compared to using a powerbank which I assumed output 5v.

The Fosmon bike alarm is not a sensitive piece of electronic therefore I think either way is fine but I will go ahead and use just a single 18650 battery.

The new battery will no longer inside the bike alarm.

Your thoughts?
In Canada it's called ehBike

John Rose

What plan do you have for recharging the single 18650 battery?

QuoteThe new battery will no longer inside the bike alarm.
If you have a cord hanging out of the alarm case, then how difficult would it be for a would-be thief to unplug it first?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: John Rose on February 17, 2024, 06:30:04 PM
What plan do you have for recharging the single 18650 battery?
Both alarm unit and battery case are totally hidden but the battery case is magnetic therefore it can easily attached /reattached for charging.

Of course once the alarm is triggered. It?s a dead giveaway of its location.

In my opinion alarms are not theft deterrent. It just buys you time to get your?s or someone else?s attentions.

John Rose

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on February 18, 2024, 01:38:12 PM
Both alarm unit and battery case are totally hidden but the battery case is magnetic ...
Hmm ? If you can find a suitable bike part that is not aluminum to stick it to. Maybe the saddle springs?
Quotetherefore it can easily attached /reattached for charging.
What I meant was "what kind of charger?"

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: John Rose on February 18, 2024, 06:52:19 PM
What I meant was "what kind of charger?"
I?m sorry for misunderstanding. I have a Nitecore 4port charger but I am thinking of upgrading to a newer more up to date chargers.
My thought is that a 18650 battery without a USB charging input probably has an output of 3.7v-4.2v whereas a single 18650 with charging unit most likely output 5.0v due to the nature of it being a powerbank charger.

Therefore I am using a single 18650 the needs to be recharged from time to time as well but not as often as 3-AAA batteries.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I may be overthinking this. Maybe a half a volt difference is not going to make a difference to ruin the Fosmon alarm.

It?s still winter where I am and my mind comes up with these kind of silly things while cooped up indoors.

John Rose

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on February 18, 2024, 08:23:44 PM
As I mentioned in the beginning, I may be overthinking this. Maybe a half a volt difference is not going to make a difference to ruin the Fosmon alarm.
Sounds like a plan. I imagine that in the worst case it would be having like a run-down AAA battery supply.

QuoteIt's still winter where I am and my mind comes up with these kind of silly things while cooped up indoors.
Same here. I'm spending a lot of time bookmarking (and sometimes buying) accessories. Today I'm supposed to have an LCD upgrade, folding pedals, and a spare inner tube delivered. Also thinking up a DIY repair stand.