News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Controller or screen. Where is the actual parameter programming.

Started by ChrisB, January 23, 2024, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ChrisB

I am the mostly happy owner of a RadCity5, but I live in Canada and our bikes are limited to 500W (I know how to get into the advanced settings and ours here don't give you the 750W option. Just 250W and 500W). I talked to the founder of the company when I was in Seattle a few years ago and was told that the bikes are set to the market they are sold in. I would like to get the US speck power of 750W if I can, and I have found controllers for sale. My only concern is if I purchase the controller, it might be exactly the same as the one I have now (the controller is to much of a pain to remove to look at the label, I only want to do it once).  Does anyone know for sure what is actually holds the program, the controller or the display? 

inoxa

That is a GOOD question. 

I would expect it is the display. 

Maybe you can ask the question on the part number of the controller vs your part number. 

It would be software that controls it and that would still go through the display. 

Why not just buy the upgraded controller and display.  It is about $200 US for both.  Then you have a color display which is easier to read and navigate through.

DickB

The controllers are different with different part numbers. Someone posted (on Facebook?) a comparison photo of USA and Canadian labels. The difference in power output is in the controller. I don't see why there would be different part numbers for the display.

Ddaybc

DickB, nice picture. Unfortunately my Canadian RW4 controller doesn't have the same information. I took a picture of the underside of mine while it was still on the bike. It's too blurry so I won't post it but it just says it's a controller for a brushless motor. The label doesn't say how much minimum or maximum amps the controller is rated for, throttle information etc. It just has a serial number and what bike it's for. Nothing about the specs. It's disappointing. Oh well, I'll keep on carrying on until something breaks/wears out etc and then I will bite the bullet and upgrade.
I also suspect the display doesn't actually control the controller or the wattage sent to the motor. I believe the controller does that but I think software for the controller and the display are written in the same computer language and neither one of them can talk to anything not written in the same language. Thus the need to change the display when one changes the controller.

John Rose

FWIW, I'm considering getting the LCD Display Upgrade for my RadExpand 5, which has 4 levels of PAS (5, if you count zero). It looks the same as the one on my wife's RadMini ST2, which has 5 levels of PAS

I asked the Rad Support online Chat person if the LCD Display Upgrade would magically give me 5 levels of PAS on my Rad Expand 5, and the answer (after a long pause) was no, it would not. I would still have only 4. Not that it's a big deal.

So to me that means the controller has the programming, and the screen just tells you what it's doing.

My reasons for getting the LCD display:

• USB charging port for my phone, which will often be running a GPS tracking app. Or sending music to a bluetooth speaker.
  • Odometer - so I can schedule periodic maintenance, and not have to run the GPS app to track trip distance if I don't feel like it.
  • The two rows of LEDs are rather bright, they look like dashboard fault lights, and I have to think too much to figure out which is PAS level and which is battery level.
  • A more detailed battery power level
  • Watt meter
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

DickB

I posted that photo on Facebook. Someone responded that the labels are just to satisfy local requirements, and in fact the controllers are capable of 25A, and that an EggRider display can "unlock" more power.

Ddaybc

DickB I've been contemplating either an upgraded controller and display or simply get the EggRider. I'm going to make my final decision if/when I have to. For my purposes the stock motor is enough but I want more hill climbing ability, especially when loaded with cargo.

inoxa

Quote from: Ddaybc on February 17, 2024, 01:06:58 PM
DickB I've been contemplating either an upgraded controller and display or simply get the EggRider. I'm going to make my final decision if/when I have to. For my purposes the stock motor is enough but I want more hill climbing ability, especially when loaded with cargo.

This video may help you make that decision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By9bQH4eMdA