News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Bike died after a quick flash from the lights. Now dead. I have pictures here...

Started by RadMagnus, January 19, 2024, 01:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadMagnus

Hi all! First post here. I have gotten a reply from Rad that I will have to replace the motor plug after the reviewed the picture sent here. Can that really be the case? I need my bike so bad so a week or two without it feels like months...

It is a 3 year old Radmission 1. I have used the eggrider for 1 of these 3 years and hence increased the speed from 25km/h (15mph) to 35km/h (22mph).

Any DIY tips and tricks appreciated :) Thanks!

Actions already taken:
I have checked both fuses and even changed them.

I have tried with my spare battery.

I have measured the voltage with a meter.

I have unplugged all wires and plugged them back together.

I have cleaned the battery connector. It was a lot of green (I suppose corrosion?).

I have tried with both the stock controller and an aftermarket (eggrider) controller.

Questions:
Do I need to change the battery connector since it has the corrosion (however, now gone)?
Should I try to order a wiring harness directly? Aftermarket ok?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to save the picture (new user here). Now it should be up.

John Rose

Quote from: RadMagnus on January 19, 2024, 01:38:01 AM
... I have tried with my spare battery. ...
Well, that rules out issues with the keyswitch.

"Pictures here"? What pictures? [edit - I see it now, thanks.]
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

inoxa

Have you disconnected the headlight and tail light and seeing it will run disconnected? 

Have you installed an aftermarket headlight?  These have caused an overload of the controller. 

My problem was the battery cradle connection melted wiring.  I had to replace the connectors.  You might have to do that or replace the cradle.

RadMagnus

Quote from: John Rose on January 19, 2024, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: RadMagnus on January 19, 2024, 01:38:01 AM
... I have tried with my spare battery. ...
Well, that rules out issues with the keyswitch.

"Pictures here"? What pictures?
Thank you very much for pointing that out! I've tried to upload but it fails. I'll try here in this reply as well.

RadMagnus

Quote from: inoxa on January 20, 2024, 07:49:06 AM
Have you disconnected the headlight and tail light and seeing it will run disconnected? 

Have you installed an aftermarket headlight?  These have caused an overload of the controller. 

My problem was the battery cradle connection melted wiring.  I had to replace the connectors.  You might have to do that or replace the cradle.
Hi! Thanks for replying! I have now received a long instruction from Rad and I will try it tonight. This include disconnecting one connector after the other.

I Believe I did this when I was troubleshooting without success. But I will try again in a more structured fashion!

melted connectors, yikes!! I will have to check that.

RadMagnus

And no - no aftermarket parts except for the eggrider...

RadMagnus

This was green in the bottom before I cleaned it. I wonder if that's enough or if it needs to be replaced... I will update tomorrow after I've done all the steps in the guide from Rad...

handlebar

Quote from: RadMagnus on January 22, 2024, 04:18:47 AM

This was green in the bottom before I cleaned it. I wonder if that's enough or if it needs to be replaced... I will update tomorrow after I've done all the steps in the guide from Rad...

I don't know how the pins are connected to the wires, but maybe corrosion affected those connections. I'd check continuity. When I saw no other way, I've shoved a sewing needle through the insulation to contact a wire.

If it turns out to be a defunct controller, when I had trouble with my Radmission controller, I replaced it with a 25 amp controller and display from electrobikeworld. The 25-amp version will fit where the OEM controller was, held by strong zip ties pulled tight. I put RTV on the matching surface of the seat tube to keep the controller from sliding.

RadMagnus

I?ve went through all of Rad?s steps in the guide and it seems to be the wiring harness or battery connector. Does not turn on if I disconnect as per their instructions:
Pedal Assist Connector, Motor Connector, Taillight Connector, Rear Accessory Port (if nothing plugged in then continue), Brake Connector - left and right, Throttle Connector, Front Accessory Port (if nothing plugged in then continue), and Headlight Connector.

inoxa

Once you crack open the cradle, you may see melted insulation around the wiring.  That's what I had.  The wiring in the battery is better insulated.  The only reason I replaced the battery side was because the  plastic melted and expanded and wouldn't fit into the cradle. 

The 3 center pins are dummies. I think they are only used for aligning the battery into the cradle.

Ddaybc

When one has connections that are covered in corrosion and the system has stopped working one needs to see where the problem lies. Corrosion can creep inside sealed wires as it is considered a galvanic type of growth. Where a wire goes, corrosion can follow. Thus the need for a continuity test. In this case check the continuity from the controller to each of the pins in the connector. If you have continuity in all of the pins/wires then you need to check continuity from the other part of the connector to the motor plug. Again, if continuity is good then check continuity from the other side of the plug to the motor.
It's the only way to see what part of the wiring you need to replace. Sometimes one can replace just one wire, other times just a part of a wiring harness. Often the entire harness needs to be replaced.
This test will also determine, if all of the continuity checks out OK, that it may be your controller and there's additional tests for that. I don't know how to test for a controller so, if this is your case, then others will need to chime in.

handlebar

Quote from: Ddaybc on January 23, 2024, 12:21:15 PM
Where a wire goes, corrosion can follow. Thus the need for a continuity test. In this case check the continuity from the controller to each of the pins in the connector. If you have continuity in all of the pins/wires then you need to check continuity from the other part of the connector to the motor plug. Again, if continuity is good then check continuity from the other side of the plug to the motor.

I'd love to have wiring diagrams for my bikes to check continuity. How do you knew which pins are wired to which pins?

John Rose

Quote from: handlebar on January 23, 2024, 01:50:58 PMI'd love to have wiring diagrams for my bikes to check continuity. How do you knew which pins are wired to which pins?
Me too. That, and a functional diagram
And a logic flowchart, for what I call "differential diagnosis".
::)
And a pony.
:-\
Okay. Never mind the pony.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

RadMagnus

When one has connections that are covered in corrosion and the system has stopped working one needs to see where the problem lies. Corrosion can creep inside sealed wires as it is considered a galvanic type of growth. Where a wire goes, corrosion can follow. Thus the need for a continuity test. In this case check the continuity from the controller to each of the pins in the connector. If you have continuity in all of the pins/wires then you need to check continuity from the other part of the connector to the motor plug. Again, if continuity is good then check continuity from the other side of the plug to the motor.
It's the only way to see what part of the wiring you need to replace. Sometimes one can replace just one wire, other times just a part of a wiring harness. Often the entire harness needs to be replaced.
This test will also determine, if all of the continuity checks out OK, that it may be your controller and there's additional tests for that. I don't know how to test for a controller so, if this is your case, then others will need to chime in.

Thank you! I might have to buy a multimeter...

RadMagnus

The battery connector can't be that expensive. Anyone that knows where to get one fast online?