News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad City help

Started by LARadOwner, January 08, 2024, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

LARadOwner

Hi all,

I have a 2019 Rad City that's started having a persistent problem. When powered on the display turns on briefly, shows almost no battery life, then turns off. This happens despite a full battery. I've now tried two separate batteries, including a brand new one I borrowed, a new display, and a new controller. I've checked every cable connection and I had a local e-bike shop check as well.

I just learned that if I manually connect the battery terminals (just the two positive and negative, not the three small poles) to the bike with alligator clips it powers on just fines and the motor runs.

Has anyone seen this before? Anyone have any idea what could be the issue? I don't know what the three small poles on the battery connector do so I don't know if they're related, or if it's just a bad connector or what. Visibly the connector looks fine.

Any help greatly appreciated

inoxa

Haven't had the exact problem, but similar.  Do you use the throttle for long runs?  If so the battery cradle wiring may have over heated and melted.  For me I noticed it first when I had a hard time taking battery out to charge.  I had to replace the battery connectors on both the battery and cradle to make the repair.  Once I changed it no more issues.

Only way to know if you had melting is to smell it for electrical odor and/or open the cradle and look for melted wires.

Only 2 of the 5 holes/pins are actually wired.  The 3 in the middle holes have pins to assist lining the battery up when you install it on the cradle.  Not sure which side has the pins/holes (battery or cradle side).

crorris

Just an FYI in case your cradle/wiring is bad. About a year ago I emailed Rad and ordered a replacement battery cradle/wiring for my 2020 Rad Rover 5 so I could use my 4 Rad batteries with my new Lectric Trike. It only cost me $12 (plus $10 shipping). If yours is damaged, and you can actually get ahold of someone at Rad, this might be an option.

LARadOwner

Thanks everyone for the responses,

I believe it is the battery connection and I'm trying to get a new one with Rad Power. I got ahold of someone but they've sent the wrong cradle so I guess I'm trying again.

I don't know if anyone's interested but I removed the current battery connector and attached a photo showing the build quality of the thing

https://imgur.com/a/Evmpxdd

John Rose

Well, that's interesting. Is that white goo some kind of moisture resistant stuff to reduce oxidation on the metal contacts?

Is that from the battery pack or the cradle?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

handlebar

The circuitry in the controller of my Radmission was covered in that stuff. Moisture in the air could cause the controller to act up. Apparently, the coating was an attempt to solve the problem. An aftermarket controller solved my problem.