News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery life

Started by Jjames, January 07, 2024, 04:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jjames

Good day folks
Apparently, if one doesn't use the bike for an extended period, one should 'cycle' the battery every few months?
Does anyone know how (a plug in device/dummy load?)
How much (drain to 70%?
And how often?

Thanks

handlebar

Cycling will help NiCd and NiMh, but I haven't heard of it with Lithium ion.

An ebike battery that sits for months will get out of balance as some cells have faster self-discharge than others. I just balanced one that had sat three months. Before letting it continue to sit, I should run it down to maybe 49 volts. Thanks for the reminder.

John Rose

Quote from: Jjames on January 07, 2024, 04:22:04 PM
Does anyone know how (a plug in device/dummy load?)
I imagine that leaving the headlight on would eventually run it down, and probably so slowly that you could check the battery voltage once a day. I have not been able to determine the wattage of the stock headlights and taillights, so I can't do the math.

RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

mrgold35

I have 3 batteries from my two 2016 Radrovers (4000 miles on each rad) and one battery on my 2018 Radcity (1000 miles).  I've lost about +/- 20% range on these batteries.  I usually only charge to max levels before a ride.  I leave it a the whatever charge level in-between rides (30%-90% power range).  I can probably count on one hand when I needed to use 100% battery power on +8000 miles I put on the ebikes.  The range loss really isn't a factor for my riding habits.