News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Pixel 8 Pro not charging via USB

Started by abhiroopb, December 23, 2023, 02:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

abhiroopb

I have a Pixel 8 Pro which has been working mostly fine. It charges over my wireless pad, USB-C cable, and USB-A port in my car. However it doesn't charge over my USB-A port on my ebike (I have a Rad Step Thru 2). My wife's Pixel 5 and my old Pixel 4XL work fine over the ebikes USB-A port (as does various iPhones of my friends.

What happens is the charging indicator comes on for a second but it doesn't continue charging. I've tried different cables and my wife's ebike (Rad Wagon) nothing works. I even got the electrical systems checked on my ebike. Clearly the issue is the phone.

Has anything like this occurred for anyone else?

Based on some research it looks like the power draw on the Pixel is too high. Is there a way to increase the power output on the USB port?

bikealex23

Cycle Centre is your one-stop shop for all of your cycling needs in Dublin.
We offer a variety of bikes, including Ebikes, Kids Bikes,Electric bikes, Road bikes, E-MTB, & city bikes.

https://www.cyclecentre.com/new-arrivals/

bigthumbbob

Per the specs, the Rad charger only puts out 1 amp. The pixel pro 8 wants 30 watts, so I think thats the problem.

From the USB charger Install Manual:
The USB Charger provides 1 amp of power. It can charge many, but not all, USB devices. Drawing more than 1 amp will turn the charger off.

John Rose

Our RadMini ST2 has a USB charging port, but it isn't working at all. I tried plugging in an (e)scape brand bluetooth earbuds charging case, with the specs "Input: DC 5V | 1A max". Both the case and the earbuds are only 3.7V. It should not be overloading the charging port, but there's nothing. Also nothing for my "moto e" phone.
I cannot find any way to open the LCD display to check for a fuse or loose connection.

The RadMini ST2 manual says:
QuoteNotice: The USB Charging Port charges many, but not all, devices. The USB charge rate from the display will supply power to many phones, but larger phones, which require higher power in order to charge, may not register charging. If the display indicates ?USB? it will supplement battery power for the phone, but the state of charge of the phone may still decrease.
So, when it does work, it should at least extend a phone's battery life.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

DickB

Quote from: John Rose on December 24, 2023, 04:02:00 PM
Our RadMini ST2 has a USB charging port, but it isn't working at all. I tried plugging in an (e)scape brand bluetooth earbuds charging case, with the specs "Input: DC 5V | 1A max". Both the case and the earbuds are only 3.7V. It should not be overloading the charging port, but there's nothing. Also nothing for my "moto e" phone.
I cannot find any way to open the LCD display to check for a fuse or loose connection.

The RadMini ST2 manual says:
QuoteNotice: The USB Charging Port charges many, but not all, devices. The USB charge rate from the display will supply power to many phones, but larger phones, which require higher power in order to charge, may not register charging. If the display indicates ?USB? it will supplement battery power for the phone, but the state of charge of the phone may still decrease.
So, when it does work, it should at least extend a phone's battery life.

Sorry if this appears a dumb question, but are you plugging the USB device in before turning on the RadMini?

JimInPT

If it were me, I'd try putting a 10,000mAH battery pack into a frame-mounted water bottle bag (not a wire-frame holder, a bag) and charging from that.

I use one like this: https://amzn.to/4b2J9VU strapped to the handlebar riser tube to carry a GoPro mounted on an extender, batteries etc.  Works great.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

John Rose

Quote from: DickB on December 24, 2023, 11:04:09 PM
Sorry if this appears a dumb question, but are you plugging the USB device in before turning on the RadMini?
A. It doesn't, and B. no.

mrgold35

I have two 2016 Radrovers and 2018 Radcity step thru.  I've used iPhone 4S, 6S Plus, and now iphone 13 Pro Max with the USB/LCD port.  I can only get the USB port to work by connecting everything first without powering up the ebike.  I've never been able to get the LCD USB charge port to work after I powered up the ebike.  I just added a Himiway fat tire ebike and that LCD USB port is always hot when the ebike on powered so I can plug in at anytime.

DickB

Quote from: mrgold35 on January 12, 2024, 06:40:39 AMI've never been able to get the LCD USB charge port to work after I powered up the ebike. 
For whatever the reason, it is designed that way. It's in your manual.

John Rose

Quote from: DickB on January 12, 2024, 06:47:04 AM
Quote from: mrgold35 on January 12, 2024, 06:40:39 AMI've never been able to get the LCD USB charge port to work after I powered up the ebike. 
For whatever the reason, it is designed that way. It's in your manual.

Huh.  :-[ Directly above the the passage I quoted earlier, it says:
QuoteCharge device using USB port /
Locate USB port on LCD edge closest to rider and unplug rubber cover. With LCD powered off, plug USB charging cable (not included) into USB port on LCD display and device (not included), turn on bike by pressing and holding MODE until power engages.

Well whaddaya know. I didn't see that before.
And it works as documented.
RTFM, dude! Now I understand better the point of DickB's question.

Additional info ... if you disconnect the USB device and plug it back in, it (the charging port) stops working. You have to power the bike off and on to get the USB charging port to work again.

mrgold35

The option I went with when I had my iPhone 4S and 6S Plus was an external Mophie juice pack air case that also had a battery back-up+re-charge option to 2X phone life.  The external battery case used micro USB and didn't draw a lot of power to charge.  The juice pack wasn't that much larger than a regular case (you have the extra weight of the 5000-10000 mah battery).  The Mophie Juice pack was easy on/off in +/- 10 seconds by removing the top and slide iphone in/out of the case.

Might be an option to check into battery cases if the LCD screen USB connection does not have enough power for the Pixel 8 Pro.  You might have to research to find a battery cases that can recharge on the Rad LCD USB port.  There could be and option to find a phone battery case can power the Pixel 100% full amps to 2X life and the Rad USB port can trickle charge the external phone case at 1 amp.  Another bonus I've noticed with an external case with a battery was there was less of an issue wearing out the phone plug with constant plugging in/out if you don't have/use wireless charge option (I wire charge at home and wireless in vehicles).

I didn't go with any Juice pack with my iphone 13 pro max because battery life is over 2X compared to my previous iphones.

https://amzn.to/47Qab0c