News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery Expand 5

Started by RadBob, August 22, 2023, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadBob

Hi
I have two Expand 5 bikes
They use the 48v 14ah 672wh battery.
I was wondering if the I can use the RadMission battery as a backup?
They are about 25% less capacity but are on sale right now for $260CAD.
The regular battery for the Expand 5 is $665.
That?s a pricey 25% extra capacity.

Any thoughts on using the RadMission battery as a backup?   
It should slip right into the same base.

Thanks
Bob

handlebar

I brought my 14ah Radrunner 1 battery indoors because the house is cooler than the garage. I replaced it with my Radmission battery. When I tried to back the Radrunner out of the garage, nothing happened, so it's not a good backup battery. As I suspected, it's a powerful go-forward battery, so I'm glad I remembered to be careful!  ;)

RadBob

Thanks for the info👌🏼👍🏻

Radding Along

Mission batteries can only be used in the Mission. On the flip side, the higher amp hour batteries in the other model Rad bikes that don?t use the semi integrated battery like the Expand 5 will work in the Mission.

handlebar

Quote from: Radding Along on September 25, 2023, 07:41:29 PM
Mission batteries can only be used in the Mission.

I knew my Radmission battery wouldn't back up my Radrunner, but I was sure it propelled the bike forward when I turned the throttle.

To be sure I understood you, I went out to the garage and put my Radmission battery in my Radrunner.

As before, I had to back it up manually. As before, it moved briskly forward when I turned the throttle.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to remove some screws?

Radding Along

I have no doubt the Mission battery propelled your bike. What you don?t realize is the mission battery will kill the electronics in your bike. Why risk the controller and motor by testing it out?

Replacement Rad batteries are expensive, but they are worth every penny. They are made by Panasonic and if cared for properly, should last 5 or 6 years.

Constantly leaving it on the charger well after the light goes green on the charger will kill the battery in a year or two.

John Rose

Quote from: Radding Along on October 10, 2023, 10:29:36 PM
I have no doubt the Mission battery propelled your bike. What you don?t realize is the mission battery will kill the electronics in your bike. Why risk the controller and motor by testing it out?
Why would that be? Are the RadMission batteries 52 volts or something?

48 Volts is 48 volts, regardless of the Watt-hour or Ampere-hour rating of the battery pack. They do not indicate anywhere on radpowerbikes.com nor radpowerbikes.ca, nor in any of the owner manuals, what the voltage is in that model. A higher voltage than expected might mess things up, depending on what kind of current-limiting protection there is (besides the fuse).

Or is it some signalling conflict between the BMS and the controller?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

DickB

Quote from: Radding Along on October 10, 2023, 10:29:36 PM
What you don?t realize is the mission battery will kill the electronics in your bike.
Constantly leaving it on the charger well after the light goes green on the charger will kill the battery in a year or two.
No and No.