News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Buyer's Remorse

Started by Naranja_CT5+, October 31, 2023, 11:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Naranja_CT5+

I am sure most of us have spent a lot of time researching the type eBike that we have chosen for ourselves.

But have you ever thought that maybe you've made a mistake and wished you had picked different model?

Strictly speaking of RAD Power Bikes lineup. Like what Cher said "If I could turn back time".
Which models would you have chosen instead of the one you bought?

For my own criteria (my age, weight. maintaining balance. health), I think I would have chosen a RADRunner3+
In Canada it's called eh_Bike

mrgold35

I've had my two Radrovers since 2016 with around 4000 miles on each (few squeaks and 20% less battery range).  I just upgraded my wife's 2018 Radcity step-thru with a 2023 Radcity step-thru and she loves the improvements and ride quality.  I was torn between upgrading to a 2023 Radrover or jump ship to another brand. 

I decided to skip the 2023 Radrover because I didn't see a significant improvements or expanded capabilities compared to my two old Radrovers.  I did a lot of on-line reviews, visited eMTB websites, checked out other ebike forums, and YouTube reviews on different types of fat tire ebikes.  Decided to give Himiway Cobra Pro a try (400lbs capacity, 10 speed, mid-drive 1000w-1600w, 160Nm tq, throttle, full air suspension, 4.8" fat tire, tq sensor, 20 Ah battery, full color display). 

I still have my two Radrovers for casual riding or if I need an extra ebike for friends/family for group rides.  I always wanted to upgrade to a mid-drive for expanded capabilities for single track and riding in the Sandia foothills (hilly and rocky with elevation of 6000-7200 feet).

Ddaybc

I bought the RW4 (It arrived in July 2021) and I like it a lot. It does everything well and doesn't have any serious flaws. I would like to have regenerative braking but I understand a direct drive motor weighs more. My bike weighs enough already.
If the Radrunner 3Plus had been available when I bought my RW I may have chosen it as it can handle carrying stuff while still being "normal" sized. Otherwise happy as a clam.  ;D

handlebar

I bought a 2020 Radrunner that required a lot more money to be what I find rideable. I bought a 2022 Radmission which I like better but has shortcomings.

I wish the Aventon Abound had been available.

It seems to have at least a 750 watt output, not the 500 mechanical watts that Radpower calls 750.

The seat tube seems to lean back at 63 degrees for less knee bending and more stability.

Close to a 30" reach from the seat post to the handlebars.

50" wheelbase.

Fenders. Chain guard.

440 pounds capacity.

Front suspension.

2.4 x 20 tires, which should handle better than 3.3 x 20, and they're a standard size to give me replacement options.

Butyl tubes.

Torque sensor.

UL approved battery.

Solid axles fastened with nuts.

Hydraulic brakes.

I need to buy some "steal me" signs for my Rad bikes. Then I can cry and cry and buy an Abound.

Tree

love my RR6+

no actual regrets, but the longer i've had it, the more i realize i ride almost exclusively on pavement, and don't really need fat knobby tires. i've since gone to lower profile tires, but can't do much about the fat part except maybe shave a 1/2 inch off.

and perhaps the weight. the next one may be something like like a 'Lectric foldable, but i do really wish battery technology would step it up so we could get greater range without having to pay a fortune.

John Rose

My choice was limited, because it was a second-hand (only 10 km on the odometer) RadMini ST2 that I had bought from a friend who decided she'd rather have a trike. Very little research involved. Only CAD$1200, so deep discount there. I'm pretty happy with it and I like that it folds. Fine for the paved roads and groomed dirt biking/walking trails I've been riding it on.

The only thing I would wish for is to be able to bring the seat closer to the handlebars or vice-versa. I feel like I'm putting a lot of pressure on my wrists by not being able to sit completely upright. I've got the seat as far forward on the post as it will go. Now I'm wondering if a BMX-style handlebar like on the RadExpand 5 (adjustable fore-and-aft) would work better for me?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

JimInPT

Quote from: John Rose on November 05, 2023, 11:10:03 AM
My choice was limited, because it was a second-hand (only 10 km on the odometer) RadMini ST2

The only thing I would wish for is to be able to bring the seat closer to the handlebars or vice-versa. I feel like I'm putting a lot of pressure on my wrists by not being able to sit completely upright. I've got the seat as far forward on the post as it will go. Now I'm wondering if a BMX-style handlebar like on the RadExpand 5 (adjustable fore-and-aft) would work better for me?

I absolutely love my 2021 MiniST2; it turned out to be everything I was looking for, even though I've changed the seat and added some other goodies.

Before you add a different handlebar, try to get some idea of how much you can extend the existing cables first, so you don't have to do major surgery there.  Also, have you looked at simply loosening the handlebar clamps and rotating the bar to get the grips closer?  That's what I did, plus I raised it a bit as well - just a small adjustment made a big difference in both posture and reducing pressure on my palms and wrists.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

handlebar

Quote from: John Rose on November 05, 2023, 11:10:03 AM

John, do you ride with the seat high for full leg extension on the pedals? With the seat high, I found the handlebars on my Radrunner and my Radmission much too close to the seat for stability or comfort. I fixed that by moving the seats back, like the 1885 Rover, the first modern bicycle. Leaning forward put weight on my hands. The solution has always been to raise the bars. Mine are about 10 inches above saddle height.

John Rose

Quote from: handlebar on November 06, 2023, 08:09:52 PM
John, do you ride with the seat high for full leg extension on the pedals?
Not really. I keep it a bit lower in favour of ease of dismounting. (Not like my old Peugeot 10-speed.)

QuoteWith the seat high, I found the handlebars on my Radrunner and my Radmission much too close to the seat for stability or comfort. I fixed that by moving the seats back, like the 1885 Rover, the first modern bicycle. Leaning forward put weight on my hands.
??? That sounds counter-intuitive. Doesn't a longer reach mean leaning more forward?

QuoteThe solution has always been to raise the bars. Mine are about 10 inches above saddle height.
I'm going to try that too, next time I'm out.

Something I did discover today is that the seat post has an offset of about 1" to the rear. I reversed it to reduce the reach by about 2". The two potential problems now are that (1) the seat may not tilt as far forward as I'd like for comfort, and (2) the pedals are now effectively 2" farther back under me. Again, a test ride is required.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

crorris

About a year ago I bought what I think was one of my best upgrades for my Rover 5. It's a dropper seat post. I like to have my seat very high while I'm riding, but low for mount/dismount. This seat post lets me do that with a push of a lever on my handlebars. I can move the seat height up and down easily while I'm riding at any time. I've also found that when I'm on long rides adjusting it up/down helps when my butt and knees start to get sore. This let's me ride farther. It's not cheap, but it's been worth the price for me. For my 2020 Rover 5, I bought the middle routing 27.2mm one. I don't know if the seat post size on the Rad Mini ST is the same 27.2mm or not. I believe it is.

https://amzn.to/3RoDbaj

I also wanted to move my handlebars back closer to me. For that I used this adjustable handlebar stem. For my Rover 5  I bought the  Length: 95 Millimeters | Size: Handlebar Diameter 31.8mm/1.25" one.

https://amzn.to/3R1RjVt

Muskie1

Quote from: crorris on November 10, 2023, 05:55:51 AM
About a year ago I bought what I think was one of my best upgrades for my Rover 5. It's a dropper seat post. I like to have my seat very high while I'm riding, but low for mount/dismount. This seat post lets me do that with a push of a lever on my handlebars. I can move the seat height up and down easily while I'm riding at any time. I've also found that when I'm on long rides adjusting it up/down helps when my butt and knees start to get sore. This let's me ride farther. It's not cheap, but it's been worth the price for me. For my 2020 Rover 5, I bought the middle routing 27.2mm one. I don't know if the seat post size on the Rad Mini ST is the same 27.2mm or not. I believe it is.

https://amzn.to/3RoDbaj

I also wanted to move my handlebars back closer to me. For that I used this adjustable handlebar stem. For my Rover 5  I bought the  Length: 95 Millimeters | Size: Handlebar Diameter 31.8mm/1.25" one.

https://amzn.to/3R1RjVt
[/quote
I agree about the dropper post, have one o each of my bikes  love them.]

handlebar

Quote from: John Rose on November 09, 2023, 02:52:17 PM
Quote from: handlebar on November 06, 2023, 08:09:52 PM

QuoteWith the seat high, I found the handlebars on my Radrunner and my Radmission much too close to the seat for stability or comfort. I fixed that by moving the seats back, like the 1885 Rover, the first modern bicycle. Leaning forward put weight on my hands.
??? That sounds counter-intuitive. Doesn't a longer reach mean leaning more forward?

Yes it does. That can be good.

Consider the stereotypical dunce, on a stool in the corner. His back muscles hold him upright, and leaning forward would put more strain on them. Contrast that to his counterpart at a desk. Putting his elbows on his desk will give him a tripod, taking the load off his back muscles. Depending on the height of the desk, there may not be much weight on his elbows.

Riding a bicycle is like sitting on a stool in a classroom aboard a moving train. Amid the lurching and swaying, the student with his elbows on his desk will be much more stable.

Altema

I started off by making a list of needs, the RadMini 4 was a good fit, and I have no regrets. I do wish I had gotten the Mini step through for my wife when it was available. She wanted to wait, then they discontinued it, and I don't like the Expand.

handlebar

My Radrunner brought me lots of remorse, but not as much as my Evryjourney. It seems Six Three Zero's gimmick is to offer a return period but make it a nightmare to repack, unlike Radpower.

My Radmission was the best of the three. Still, to make it rideable, I had to add a couple of handlebar risers, a layback seat post, a chain guard, and an aftermarket controller.

I believe Ryan first told me about the Aventon Abound. On youtube, a mechanic doubted that the seat could be raised as high as a tall rider would want, and skirt panels on the back interfered with brake adjustment.

Other reviewers said it was a favorite because it was quick, fun, would carry a lot, and had better components than expected. More than one said the seat was uncomfortable and that the steering was squirrely.

A youtube reviewer said he thought the fold-down handlebar stem was flexing. A magazine review said the problem was a lack of offset, which meant the hand grips were too far behind the steering axis.

I was prepared for a bit of remorse. I found that there is no flexing in the stem. It rises at an angle a few degrees forward of the steering axis, and that provides the necessary offset. Handling was excellent "right out of the box." The only way to get a wobble was to shove the bars back and forth. When I felt the wobble, I checked Aventon's tire pressure recommendations. I'd inflated the tires to 30. They recommend 35 to 60. They say 45 to 50 is usually best, but you need 60 for a heavy load.

That was probably why reviewers had found the steering squirrely. Their tire pressure was probably inadequate for their heavy test loads.

The ride was smoother than any other bike I've ridden on the rough pavement around here, and that was before I discovered that the front suspension was locked.

The seat was indeed uncomfortable although well padded. It was tilted back slightly, which I don't like. I could level it but couldn't tilt it forward because the lever for the dropper post was in the way. With the seat tilted forward, you don't need a dropper post because you can slide on and off easily. I removed the lever and tilted it slightly forward. Now it was comfortable. I guess tilting it forward keeps the padding under my sit bones.

The seat rises as high as I want it. The skirt panels would interfere with work on the back wheel, but they're held on by velcro strips.

The angle of the seat post gives me a perfect pedaling position without a layback.

What's not to like? I was so looking forward to buyer's remorse! What a letdown!