News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Stolen Rad Power Bike

Started by ctalbott35@gmail.com, October 28, 2023, 08:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ctalbott35@gmail.com

Hi Everyone - my Rad Power bike was stolen this evening and I'm wondering if anyone can share help on how I'd be able to locate my bike? The lock was cut while it was parked outside of a restaurant on a popular road and it's very upsetting.

I have the serial number if that is helpful at all.

Thanks ... Chris

John Rose

To start with . . . what country and province/state/oblast/region/whatever was it stolen in?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

ctalbott35@gmail.com

I'm located in San Diego, California. The bike was stolen in Pacific Beach, CA ... specifically from 1525 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109.

handlebar

https://bikeindex.org

Police find lots of bikes at homeless camps in San Diego and end up crushing them in trash trucks because they don't know who the owners are. In some jurisdictions, police check the bike index online.

Did you ask if the pizza place has a security camera? Maybe the cops know of other security cameras. I think they're under increasing pressure to do something about bike theft.

mrgold35

Do you know the serial number of your ebike?  I would let the police know the S/N and sign up for bike registry sites like Bike Index, Project 529, and local police bike registry sites.  The ebike might be parted out or abandoned on the side of the road once the battery power runs out (unless they have a charger).

I would check into GPS trackers and air tags for next time.  I also have layered security with my Rad ebikes (2 rovers/2 Radcity).  Adding 2-3 locks might be enough to make a thief move to an easier target compared to having one lock. I have a cable lock, chain+lock, U-bolt lock, and Boomerang cell GPS tracker.  I would add 1-3 layers depending on the situation and how much time I'm going to be out-of-site from our ebikes. 

ctalbott35@gmail.com

Quote from: mrgold35 on October 30, 2023, 05:32:01 AM
Do you know the serial number of your ebike?  I would let the police know the S/N and sign up for bike registry sites like Bike Index, Project 529, and local police bike registry sites.  The ebike might be parted out or abandoned on the side of the road once the battery power runs out (unless they have a charger).

I would check into GPS trackers and air tags for next time.  I also have layered security with my Rad ebikes (2 rovers/2 Radcity).  Adding 2-3 locks might be enough to make a thief move to an easier target compared to having one lock. I have a cable lock, chain+lock, U-bolt lock, and Boomerang cell GPS tracker.  I would and 1-3 layers depending on the situation and how much time I'm going to be out-of-site from our ebikes. 

Thanks. I have the S/N and I posted it on Bike Index as well as the police report I filed. I will look more into Project 529 and local bike registry sites. I actually ordered air tags and multiple locks yesterday with that idea in mind. I'm hopeful the bike turns up!

mrgold35

I wish ebikes would have an option to lock up the motor when off.  Seems like that would be an inexpensive option for hub or mid-drive motor?  My new 88lbs Himiway Cobra Pro with mid-drive has the option to lock out the controls with a passcode (I haven't used it yet).  Probably set the passcode next summer when I travel more with our ebikes.

JimInPT

In your circumstance, parked outside a restaurant on a busy road, an alarm like this might have been a deterrent:

https://amzn.to/3RnqRXC

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's much better made than you'd think for the price, and after two years on the bike it's still doing fine.  I have it strapped under the rear basket just above the rear fender, where it's invisible to potential thieves.  Great range on the remote and is quite sensitive - nobody moves my bike even a little bit without first a warning blurt, then an ear-splitting siren if they're dumb enough to proceed.  It's also possible to manually blurt it with the remote if you have eyes-on and don't want people too close.  You can adjust the volume, sensitivity and the type of alarm sound, as I recall.

The only downside is that the batteries in the alarm itself only last one riding season.  They're easy and cheap to replace in the spring, but I have to cut and then reinstall zipties - not a huge deal.  The remote takes a bit of getting used to, as you arm/disarm with two separate buttons.

I use this alarm in addition to my Abus folding and/or U-lock when parking it out of my sight.  Recommended, even if belatedly in your case.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

handlebar

Do they say at what distance they measured 113 dB?

I saw a youtube video where a mechanic posed as a thief to show how easily it could be to defeat various motorcycle locks on a busy street. Nobody paid attention to the noise of his angle grinder. A brake disk lock was especially difficult, not because the built-in alarm went off but because it was hard to get to with his grinder.

That video may not have been on the level. There must have been a second person with the camera, so passersby knew it was okay.

Taking the seat with you seems like a good tip. I think most bike thieves make their getaway by riding.

I wonder if loosening valve cores a turn or two would be effective. Deflated tires might not be obvious before a thief cut the lock, but when he tried to ride he might have to choose between abandoning it or walking it, which would be slow and draw attention. There seem to be rechargeable pumps that are small and will quickly bring a tire to a set pressure.

handlebar

I found a couple of other tips. My favorite is to loosen the screws clamping the stem to the steerer tube, rotate the handlebars 90 degrees, and tighten the screws. A thief won't bother to cut the lock unless he has a suitable wrench, and if he is carrying one, he might be too self-conscious to adjust your bars in front of a busy pizza place. If you use security screws, even a well-equipped thief probably won't have the right driver.

I had a hard time adjusting handlebars to be exactly parallel the axle. When I had it right, I put a piece of masking tape across the crack where the stem meets the steering head, then used a box cutter to slit the tape at the crack. Now if I undo the stem, I need only line up the tapes to get it back right.

With mechanical brakes, a quicker tip is to reach through the front spokes with a long Allen wrench to clamp the wheel by tightening the brake adjuster. On my bikes it's less than a quarter turn from properly adjusted to clamped. It won't stop a thief from cutting a lock, but then he'll find he can't ride or push the bike. I imagine he'll quit instead of troubleshooting the problem and buying a tool at the nearest open shop that sells long 5mm Allen wrenches.

Tree

Quote from: JimInPT on October 30, 2023, 10:07:57 AM
In your circumstance, parked outside a restaurant on a busy road, an alarm like this might have been a deterrent:

https://amzn.to/3RnqRXC

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's much better made than you'd think for the price, and after two years on the bike it's still doing fine.  I have it strapped under the rear basket just above the rear fender, where it's invisible to potential thieves.  Great range on the remote and is quite sensitive - nobody moves my bike even a little bit without first a warning blurt, then an ear-splitting siren if they're dumb enough to proceed.  It's also possible to manually blurt it with the remote if you have eyes-on and don't want people too close.  You can adjust the volume, sensitivity and the type of alarm sound, as I recall.

The only downside is that the batteries in the alarm itself only last one riding season.  They're easy and cheap to replace in the spring, but I have to cut and then reinstall zipties - not a huge deal.  The remote takes a bit of getting used to, as you arm/disarm with two separate buttons.

I use this alarm in addition to my Abus folding and/or U-lock when parking it out of my sight.  Recommended, even if belatedly in your case.

similarly, i went with this - https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/juiced-bikes-horn it's loud, and every time my wife bumps the bike in the garage, it goes off and she curses at it.

JimInPT

Quote from: handlebar on November 02, 2023, 10:36:22 AM
Do they say at what distance they measured 113 dB?

I'm sure they don't, but I don't care - it's VERY loud and at screechy annoying frequencies.  I have a sound meter, but don't need it to know this alarm is sufficiently attention-getting.  Whether it actually does succeed in getting the attention of bystanders is a different story.......

JimInPT

Quote from: handlebar on November 03, 2023, 02:59:57 AM
With mechanical brakes, a quicker tip is to reach through the front spokes with a long Allen wrench to clamp the wheel by tightening the brake adjuster.

That is a GREAT idea, even though I live in a very low-crime area.  A purchase of a long-handled Allen wrench that can be tucked into my toolpouch wouln't be a big deal.

John Rose

Disabling a bikes rideability doesn't help much if the thief has a pickup truck or ATV trailer. I'm pretty sure that's how my Yamaha 50cc scooter got stolen out of my driveway.

I would concentrate more on securing it (and easily removed parts like the front wheel and battery) to an immovable object.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

sask131

I use one of those electric alarms, placed under my seat. I watched a thief trying to steal my helmet on it and alarm scared him off in a hurry. Best investment, for only about $25. Works good for going into a local confectionary for a few minutes and don't want to take the time to use chain lock, which I also use in sketchy neighborhoods. It is not guaranteed, a thief can always find a way, unfortunately.