News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

how do you remove the freewheel?

Started by handlebar, October 20, 2023, 03:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

handlebar

Early in 2021, the freewheel on my Runner would sometimes fail to engage. I didn't have a tool to remove it, but it has worked since I got a little light oil to go in through a crack. It also worked more quietly.

A couple of days ago I removed the chain, cleaned it, cleaned the sprocket wheels, put the chain back on, and lubed every pin. I backpedaled with my hand and felt a lot of friction. I lubed every roller. That didn't help, but a few hours later, when the solvent dried from the lube and left a waxy film, turning the crank backward was much easier.

I figured it out. My Radmission backpedals silently, but backpedaling the Radrunner had caused a sort of rattle since the bike was new. The back sprocket isn't quite matched to the chain. As I backpedal, an incoming roller will catch on the tip of a sprocket and, as it rotates farther fat, slip down against the bottom of the valley.

I noticed something else. If I spin the wheel with the chain stationary, the rear sprocket will wobble. The runnout is more than a milllmeter. Either the freewheel or the part it screws into must be bent.

I've read that the cable and connector of the Bafang motor prevents the use of an ordinary removal tool, and a special tool costs $50. That's a lot more than a new freewheel. Is there a better way to get the old one off?

Radio Runner

The newer (2020) Rads have the power cable on the none chain side. This makes removal easy with the proper tool.

Which side is yours on?

handlebar

Quote from: Radio Runner on October 20, 2023, 05:00:59 PM
The newer (2020) Rads have the power cable on the none chain side. This makes removal easy with the proper tool.

Which side is yours on?

I went out and looked. You're right! They're on opposite sides.

Now I see why I was sure they were both on the right. I knew the chain is on the right because I see it every day. I don't see the cable unless I invert the bike to unplug it and remove the wheel. That's how I remembered for sure that the cable is on the right. So, they're both on the right, but like Clark Kent and Superman, they've never been seen on the same side at the same time.

You've made my day. Nothing cheers me up like finding out I'm really really dumb, because finding out means I'm not quite as dumb as I was a minute ago. That's even better than finding out I can easily install a better freewheel. Thanks!

inoxa

Have you tried to adjust the derailleur?  Sounds like it may be out of sync.  The mission bike doesn't have a derailleur. 

handlebar

Quote from: inoxa on October 23, 2023, 09:05:52 AM
Have you tried to adjust the derailleur?  Sounds like it may be out of sync.  The mission bike doesn't have a derailleur.

The Radrunner is single-speed, so we call it a tensioner. (See  what I've learned?) 

The original tensioner was out of line, which I determined with a laser level. A couple of flat washers moved it into line, and that reduced the noise.

Then I bought Radpower's upgraded tensioner. It appeared to be out of line, but this one was slightly different so that the chain kept me from checking it with a level. The other day, when I got a master link so I could break the chain, I was able to measure the tensioner with a laser and align it.

It didn't quiet the chain, and it finally dawned on me that the chain wasn't going smoothly onto the sprocket wheel. I took the wheel off to see what kid of removal too I'd need: 8 splines with a 40mm diameter. I found a tool at Amazon, and it came with a 16-tooth sprocket. I ordered it. Then I looked at user reviews. They say the sprockets are poorly made, and it's the same brand as my troublesome freewheel. I canceled the order and ordered an ACS.