News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Used RadMini 4 concerns

Started by ech2875, October 17, 2023, 12:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ech2875

Hi All,

I recently purchased a radmini 4 preowned, with 30 miles on it. Supposedly the bike was gone through by mechanics before sale, but there are some issues that have me feeling a bit uneasy. I am still inside the return period. I don't want to name the vendor as they have been responsive so far.

There was a sound coming from the rear wheel which I identified as  loose spoke, on closer look there is actually another spoke missing entirely. Shouldn't this have been noticed before sale?

The odometer reset itself after my first or second ride to match the trip odo from my last ride. I understand this problem has been discussed, but I'm a little nervous that the resaler can't actually verify the mileage on the bike and I may have purchased a bike ($1200) with more miles than advertised. Specifically concerned about battery life. There is some minor scratching around the key which leads me to start questioning the mileage.

Curious what other users here think about these issues and any action I should take. Other than these problems and some minor wear and tear, I really really like the bike.

John Rose

Quote from: ech2875 on October 17, 2023, 12:31:56 PM
There was a sound coming from the rear wheel which I identified as  loose spoke, on closer look there is actually another spoke missing entirely. Shouldn't this have been noticed before sale?
Yeah, I would've thought so. It's a simple test to merely "twang" each spoke and listen or feel for one that's different from the others. If they had done even that much it would've been immediately apparent.

QuoteThe odometer reset itself after my first or second ride to match the trip odo from my last ride. I understand this problem has been discussed, but I'm a little nervous that the resaler can't actually verify the mileage on the bike and I may have purchased a bike ($1200) with more miles than advertised. Specifically concerned about battery life. There is some minor scratching around the key which leads me to start questioning the mileage.
My MacBook Pro keeps track of the number of charge cycles on its battery. I wonder if the BMS in the battery pack has something like that? If so, the puzzle then is how to access that info.

I kinda doubt that it's that sophisticated though.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: ech2875 on October 17, 2023, 12:31:56 PM
but there are some issues that have me feeling a bit uneasy.
There are always risks when you are buying a used item no matter what it is.
I think your Spidey senses was already warning you.

A while back I bought a used TREK bike and I was interested to know what year was the model that I just bought. Fortunate for me there was a database that someone made that list all the models going back to the 70's I think.

According to Google RADmini4 was released in 2020. You could look at the serial number then go to a site like Bike Index and look for your s/n. Even if your s/n is not there you could compare your s/n to the ones that popped up. Unfortunately the only filter I could see was the brand, I could not search by models. But to be fair I did not spend too much time looking. I just used RAD Power Bikes, mini, RM4G20 for filter and it gave me a few hits.

From the results you could find the closest to your s/n and  maybe it tells you the year.

I would be more concerned of the state of the controller and motor than the battery. Good luck
In Canada it's called ehBike

SemperVee

The trip meter ALWAYS automatically resets to ZERO when it shuts off -  even in the middle of a ride when you stop for a rest.  Total mileage does not.    Used means you deal with it for a discounted price so not surprising.  I have had 4 NEW Rads.   All were fine besides one not wanting brake like to work but  had running lights.  Spokes are a maintenance issues, they should have caught that.

ech2875

Quote from: SemperVee on October 18, 2023, 01:14:36 PM

The trip meter ALWAYS automatically resets to ZERO when it shuts off -  even in the middle of a ride when you stop for a rest.  Total mileage does not.    Used means you deal with it for a discounted price so not surprising.  I have had 4 NEW Rads.   All were fine besides one not wanting brake like to work but  had running lights.  Spokes are a maintenance issues, they should have caught that.

I understand that. This is the odometer, not the trip meter.

Altema

The wear on the battery does not match the 30 miles of supposed use. I suspect the display was replaced, or they swapped the battery with an older bike. Ask for a warranty on the battery. The spoke missing is a red flag. Is the spoke nipple still in the wheel, or is that missing too? And, is the hole damaged? Broken spokes on a RadMini could be an oversight, but it could also indicate overloading and severe abuse.