News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Controller Recommendations

Started by ajtosh77, October 13, 2023, 04:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ajtosh77

I upgraded by radwagon4 to use the bolton controller a year ago. Great improvement on the torque!

Then a month ago I decided to upgrade the motor. I laced in a new Bafang 1000w motor.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing as much top speed improvement as I was hoping. I top out at about 28-30 mph. Is that to be expected? Is it related to my controller not being configured optimally (see attached screenshot).

Or, do I have to upgrade my battery to 52V or go with a different controller? Suggestions are appreciated.

Would love to be closer to 40 as I see some people have achieved.

Andrew

inoxa

have you emailed bolton / area13 about the settings?  they may have updated settings or suggestions.

JTK77

What turn count 1000w motor do you have?
Fastest winding is 6 turn (number 6 is the last number on model label).

I'm using highly modified G062 motor with 60v  and 114A  peak on Rover.
0-30mph is 3.9sec
Tops 41-42 mph.

ajtosh77

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and information! I will email Bolton to see what they have to say.

Quote from: JTK77 on October 15, 2023, 09:47:35 AM

0-30mph is 3.9sec
Tops 41-42 mph.

The model number of the motor is Bafang RM G062 1000 D'06 1

How did you modify this motor? Also, which controller are you using?

Andrew

JTK77

Quote from: ajtosh77 on October 15, 2023, 10:46:42 AM
Thank you so much for all the suggestions and information! I will email Bolton to see what they have to say.

Quote from: JTK77 on October 15, 2023, 09:47:35 AM

0-30mph is 3.9sec
Tops 41-42 mph.

The model number of the motor is Bafang RM G062 1000 D'06 1

How did you modify this motor? Also, which controller are you using?

Andrew
Yes thats The 6 turn one.
I'm using modified custom KT controller.
Some info regarding my Rad (and motor).
https://ebikes.ca/projectgallery/high-power-fat-bike-with-water-cooled-g062-motor-finland-preview

ajtosh77

Quote from: JTK77 on October 16, 2023, 11:05:34 AM
https://ebikes.ca/projectgallery/high-power-fat-bike-with-water-cooled-g062-motor-finland-preview

Wow. That is beyond what I am willing/able to take on. So, unless Bolton gives me some better configuration; I think I'll just be cool with the current top speed.

Andrew

JTK77

Quote from: ajtosh77 on October 16, 2023, 02:33:49 PM

Wow. That is beyond what I am willing/able to take on. So, unless Bolton gives me some better configuration; I think I'll just be cool with the current top speed.

Andrew

You can upgrade your controller to one with field weakening feature for more speed. Phaserunner would be good combination with G062.

Altema

Quote from: JTK77 on October 16, 2023, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: ajtosh77 on October 16, 2023, 02:33:49 PM

Andrew

You can upgrade your controller to one with field weakening feature for more speed. Phaserunner would be good combination with G062.
JTK77 is right; you'll need field weakening (top speed overdrive as some call it) to get above your motor's natural RPM per volt parameters. Even without the mods to his motor, he would still get a higher speed because of the larger diameter wheels. Any controller with field weakening will do, but I've had good results with the Phaserunner on a RadMini 4. 35mph is no problem on a single battery, 40mph on dual batteries because there's less voltage sag (and more amps for the FW). My bike mods were originally designed for hill climbing and towing other bikes, but the extra speed was a nice bonus. Downside to a controller change is you'll need to make a custom wiring harness, which can take a lot of work, and may not be worth the effort some something you'll use once in a while.

John Rose

Quote from: ajtosh77 on October 13, 2023, 04:49:24 PM
... Then a month ago I decided to upgrade the motor. I laced in a new Bafang 1000w motor.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing as much top speed improvement as I was hoping. I top out at about 28-30 mph. ...
Does it climb hills any better?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5