News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

master links

Started by handlebar, October 09, 2023, 04:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

handlebar

I started using dry chain lube 19 months ago because the grime resulting from oily lube wasn't good for my pants or the chain. I've cleaned the chain repeatedly, but cleaning it on the bike is not thorough. Yesterday I went so far as to remove the back wheel so I could dip sections of the chain in mineral spirits, then do a lot of wiping. It wasn't thorough.

I want to take it off, roll it up, find a can just wide enough, and soak it in solvent. That was easy when chains came with master links. I guess I'll have to break the chain and add a master link.

Why don't chains come with master links these days? Is one type or brand better?

Radio Runner

Most every replacement chain now days comes with a master link.

Prebuilt bikes often do not.

SRAM, KMC, Whipperman-Connix make good chains.

handlebar

Quote from: Radio Runner on October 09, 2023, 07:34:17 AM

Back in the day, it seemed like all bikes big enough to have pneumatic tires also came with master links. I wonder what changed.

John Rose

What if you just shift it up to the highest gear to get a bit more slack? Can't you then get the bottom of the derailleur submerged in a container of solvent?
Or use a narrow rectangular pan to get a longer section of the chain submerged, slowly turn the pedal by hand, and work it with a brush.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

handlebar

Quote from: John Rose on October 09, 2023, 04:23:58 PM
What if you just shift it up to the highest gear to get a bit more slack? Can't you then get the bottom of the derailleur submerged in a container of solvent?
Or use a narrow rectangular pan to get a longer section of the chain submerged, slowly turn the pedal by hand, and work it with a brush.

Both my bikes are 1-speed. I bought the Radrunner first and had misgivings about no gearshift. I found that it's not necessary with an ebike. Instead of shifting down on a hill, you add motor power.

I took the back wheel off to change inner tubes. That gave me a chance to clean the black waxy buildup from the rear sprocket and the tensioner (a one-speed derailleur ). Strangely, the buildup wasn't gritty, and the front sprocket was clean.

I wiped several times after dipping, and the chain was clean to touch. Then I put a drop of Finish Line on each side of each pin, a total of 3ml. When I touched the chain the next day, it left a sort of sticky soot on my hands that, as usual, was hard to scrub off. I had thought that stuff came from the factory oil that I hadn't completely removed. Instead, it seems to come from the Finish Line. I don't know why it turns black after application or why grit doesn't stick to it.

handlebar

Thanks. In my size, I see that KMC offers a 1-pack and a 2-pack, each about $4. They look alike, but the single one is not supposed to require a tool.

I have a chain breaker. (Actually, I have two, but I've misplaced one.) It looks as if I'd need special pliers to snap and unsnap a Missing Link. Some turn out to be of useless quality, and if I got a good pair, it would be one more tool to misplace. I think a pair of circlip pliers would do the trick, or a pair of #6 finishing nails.

I was going to buy a stretch gauge: one more thing to lose. Now I see I don't need one. In 20 links (254mm) a 0.75% stretch would be about 2mm. Who needs a gauge?

Radio Runner

Quote from: handlebar on October 09, 2023, 10:21:52 AM

Back in the day, it seemed like all bikes big enough to have pneumatic tires also came with master links. I wonder what changed.

Maybe on single speed bikes but certainly not 10spds of the time. Only recently (last 10 years) has the industry started to move twords master links for geared chains. The locking sleeve made the master link wider and that would jam the cogs. Now the master links are narrow like the rest of the chain. (Single speed chain quick links are still wider)

handlebar

Thanks. Now I understand.