News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

I?m having a bad feeling I made a bad choice?

Started by Naranja_CT5+, October 08, 2023, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Naranja_CT5+

I have pre-ordered the RADcity 5. At the time the original delivery was Sept 26th and a few weeks later received an update saying the delivery was delayed until Oct 6th.

I have no update email regarding more delays or a good news of shipping information like tracking number.

I hate to draw conclusions that what happened to RAD Europe may be happening to RAD Canada as well. I say this because the last update email I got from RAD indicating the delay in delivery. I replied back to this email and got a return reply saying this email address is not being monitored. Since it was regarding the shipment status I assumed it came from RAD customer service.

The other signs was that RADcity 5 is out of stock any colours and Zendesk no longer exists.

It is Sunday and Monday is a holiday therefore I cannot even reach out to RAD Canada customer service.

I originally thought of getting a Juiced eBike but opted to RAD because they have a Canadian branch and they?re been around a long time therefore we?ll established. I?m optimistic that I?ve made the right choice but it?s testing my patience.

It?s still too early to pull the trigger and get my credit card company involved.
In Canada it's called ehBike

mrgold35

I have two his/her 2016 Radrovers with around 4,000 miles on each.  I purchased a 2018 Radcity Step-thru because my wife felt the radrover was too large for her and hard to mount.  Updated her Radcity to the an 2023 Radcity 5+ Step-Thru back in July 2023 (took about a 3-weeks to come in).  She really likes her new 2023 Radcity because of the improved built quality and updated parts.  Rad Power Bikes seems to be still sticking to their original formula of regular bike with electric components; which, make Rad ebike easy to service and upgrade.

The choices of ebike from 2016 to now has grown +500%.  We were torn between going with tried/true or going for something new/different when we wanted to upgrade her ebike.  We didn't keep up with the issues Rad Power Bike was/are having in the more crowded marketplace. We did have a failed controller with only 16 miles on the 2023 Radcity that needed to replace after a first week of ownership.  Thinking back, both 2016 Radrovers also had failed controllers 3 times during the first year of ownership.

One thing the wife and I did before purchase was we found bike shops when on vacation that rented Rad Power Bikes.  We were able to test ride for hours an ebike with some wear/tear to see what it will feel like with these ebikes down the road.  It eliminated a big unknown about long-term ownership and buyer's remorse after purchase.

handlebar

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd cancel.

Ryan who runs this forum, posted a youtube video comparing the RR6+, as I recall, to Aventon's equivalent. Based on that review, I'd prefer the Aventon.

I trust him better than I now trust Electric Bike Reviews, who in 2020 persuaded me to buy a Radrunner.

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: mrgold35 on October 09, 2023, 04:17:25 AM
One thing the wife and I did before purchase was we found bike shops when on vacation that rented Rad Power Bikes.  We were able to test ride for hours an ebike with some wear/tear to see what it will feel like with these ebikes down the road.  It eliminated a big unknown about long-term ownership and buyer's remorse after purchase.
I live 1000 km from the nearest RAD store for a test drive but I have always been thinking of getting a RAD bike. Plus it came highly recommended by a trusted person I know. I was going to get the RR6+ but talked me out of it due to weight issue of the bike

Quote from: handlebar on October 09, 2023, 04:26:18 AM

I trust him better than I now trust Electric Bike Reviews, who in 2020 persuaded me to buy a Radrunner.
I'm not ready to give up yet. Just getting a bit impatient that I can enjoy riding it (before it gets too cold.) Gotta order winter gloves now :-)
Lastly, I don't trust EBR, I think he's just a sales arm of RAD power bikes.

handlebar

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on October 09, 2023, 05:02:44 PM
I'm not ready to give up yet. Just getting a bit impatient that I can enjoy riding it (before it gets too cold.) Gotta order winter gloves now :-)
Lastly, I don't trust EBR, I think he's just a sales arm of RAD power bikes.

When it's below freezing, a scarf makes a big difference. The brim of a cowboy-style hard hat keeps the wind off my face, and the weight of the hat keeps it from blowing off. I bought some nice ski gloves last winter, but I had so much trouble pushing the buttons of the OEM Radmission display that I cut off the end of the thumb of the left glove.  The cause of the problem turned out to be the defective design of the controller, dadburnit! Now that I have an aftermarket controller, I wish I'd saved the end of the thumb so I could sew it back on the glove.

FL-GK

Quote from: handlebar on October 09, 2023, 04:26:18 AM

Ryan who runs this forum, posted a youtube video comparing the RR6+, as I recall, to Aventon's equivalent. Based on that review, I'd prefer the Aventon.

I would cancel too, there is a lot of quality in the RAD BUT I keep having to replace controllers (I have a City 5 Plus HS and my wife has a step through, which is the better of the two bikes, it just, ever so slightly rides and handles better) and support is only email etc. etc. Have a look at the Wired bike, full suspension (front AND shock rear), 850w motor, super battery, steel gears and all at 2K so it's a lot cheaper and 100% as good or better frame build quality.

I have had too many little problems (mostly eating controllers) and the support being only email can be frustrating.

Others have 1,000's of miles without troubles so I don't think RAD is bad (sorry about the rhyme) I just think there is much better out there now and you can get significantly better components for the same as what you pay RAD, they are going to have to move MUCH more quickly to stay relevant.

Lastly I don't think Ryan is the "sales arm" of RAD, I mean I could be wrong, since I first started watching he's always come across as very enthusiastic and sincere.

JimInPT

Quote from: FL-GK on October 12, 2023, 09:49:53 AMLastly I don't think Ryan is the "sales arm" of RAD, I mean I could be wrong, since I first started watching he's always come across as very enthusiastic and sincere.

I believe the reference was to the guys who do the Electric Bike Review page, not Ryan.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: FL-GK on October 12, 2023, 09:49:53 AM
Lastly I don't think Ryan is the "sales arm" of RAD, I mean I could be wrong, since I first started watching he's always come across as very enthusiastic and sincere.

Thanks JimInPT

@FL-GK
I wasn't talking about Ryan. EbikeEscape is Ryan's.  I think EBR is Westcoast. I also have to say it is my just personal opinion from watching his YT. You watch EBR and form your own opinion.

As I mentioned I am not ready to give up just frustrated. At least now they put an Out of Stock message so it prevents interested buyers from going thru the same experience I am getting.