News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Speedometer calibration

Started by Elisabeth, October 07, 2023, 06:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Elisabeth

I suspect that my speedometer/odometer s calibrated for a 26" wheel. How would I adjust it to my 20" fat tire rim

inoxa

Quote from: Elisabeth on October 07, 2023, 06:33:31 AM
I suspect that my speedometer/odometer s calibrated for a 26" wheel. How would I adjust it to my 20" fat tire rim

You need to measure the tire diameter not the rim.

handlebar

Adjustment would depend on what display you have.

I found the diameter of my "20 inch" tire by measuring from the center of the axle to the floor, with the tire touching the ground. Doubling it showed a diameter of 23 inches.

John Rose

Quote from: Elisabeth on October 07, 2023, 06:33:31 AM
For this style of display and separate PAS control with three buttons, press MODE to turn it on, press and hold UP and DOWN buttons simultaneously to get to the settings menu. The first setting is for tire diameter. Press UP to increase, or DOWN to decrease. Press MODE [and hold?] to save and exit.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Naranja_CT5+

Even if you are using the proper diameter tire how would you even know you are getting the correct distance?
I remember a long time ago that there?s a road marker where it tells you 1km, 2km, etc for this exact purposes. But I haven?t seen these markers anywhere anymore.

While riding my regular bicycle I use an app called Speedometer 55. It?s great for an old fart like me because it has big coloured numbers. And it works on my old iPhones so I don?t have to worry of it getting stolen when I forget to take it out of the bicycle mount.

UPDATE: I was wrong. I have forgotten that walking/cycling paths on some parks DO have distance markers.
In Canada it's called eh_Bike

handlebar

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on October 10, 2023, 04:43:45 AM
Even if you are using the proper diameter tire how would you even know you are getting the correct distance?

I used Apple's Map app to measure a local circuit of streets. It's 2.0 miles, but i found that a I might have to roll blocks further for the odometer to accumulate 2 miles. What's more, some days it was more accurate than others.

Decades ago, I measured the local walking track with a tape. It's exactly 3/10 of a mile. A sign prohibits bicycles, but the track is pretty much abandoned and I'm a scofflaw. On my Radrunner, If I dropped a marker when the trip meter turned up a tenth of a mile, it would turn up 3/10s higher when I reached that marker again. My Radmission was just as accurate.

That was only true if I kept my speed down to about 6 mph, which was hard to do.  If I sped up a little, maybe 9 mph, I might have to go 30% more than a lap before the odometer added 3/10. If I want faster, say 12 mph, the odometer might register 3/10 when I'd been only 60% of a lap.

The neglected track is rough. On both bikes, I guess the magnetic wheel sensor in the motor gets erratic on bumps.