News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery blender

Started by Bronco99, October 02, 2023, 05:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Bronco99

A better question would be, what is the best value battery blender for a second battery on a rad runner plus with an EggRider display?

Thanks

petermcg

Since both of your batteries are the same voltage (48v), you don't need the Datex2.  The amazon option is fine, and actually you could just get away with connecting the batteries directly in parallel (which is what I do using this - https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/battery-accessories/dualbattcable.html).

Bronco99

Thanks for the info Peter. No need to pay over the odds for fancy gadgets I guess! Now I just need to find one for sale on my side of the pond.  :)

Bronco99

To return to this question, I?m going with the cheaper option because the batteries are both 48v. But I wonder will this still increase performance the way Datex2 claims to, or just battery life? Will both batteries charge at same time? I?ve always been told you should only run parallel if the batteries are same brand, capacity, age etc? Maybe this only applied to the lead acid being discussed at the time?
Thoughts appreciated 👍

petermcg

Quote from: Bronco99 on November 04, 2023, 03:17:26 PM
To return to this question, I?m going with the cheaper option because the batteries are both 48v. But I wonder will this still increase performance the way Datex2 claims to, or just battery life? Will both batteries charge at same time? I?ve always been told you should only run parallel if the batteries are same brand, capacity, age etc? Maybe this only applied to the lead acid being discussed at the time?
Thoughts appreciated 👍

You will not be able to charge both batteries at the same time, just use them at the same time.  Most batteries are charged via a separate connection anyways.  For my setup, I have two 52v 20ah batteries that I use in parallel with a dumb cable, and I carry two chargers, one for each battery.  The reason why charging should be separate is because as one battery completes its charge, it will take less current in and the remainder will be dumped to the less charged one, and if you are using a high current charger (a fair assumption given you are trying to charge two batteries in parallel), the high current to one battery will be detrimental.

Bronco99

Ok mate good info thanks. But will a cheaper blender (not a datex) equalise  2 48v batteries regardless of voltage level or do they need to be equal voltage beforehand. I?m trying to figure exactly what the datex does as opposed to a (much) cheaper blender 😂

John Rose

I would think that the cheapest and safest option is just to pack a spare battery in a bag on on the rear rack. It would take all of 60 seconds or less to swap them.

[edit] Plus you have the advantage of knowing more accurately when you're at the half-way point (distance-wise), which is something the bar graph displays are not so good at.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Hania

As you know that both of them have same voltage than my suggestion to you is to go for the cheaper one.

DickB

Quote from: Bronco99 on November 26, 2023, 03:34:54 PM
Ok mate good info thanks. But will a cheaper blender (not a datex) equalise  2 48v batteries regardless of voltage level or do they need to be equal voltage beforehand. I?m trying to figure exactly what the datex does as opposed to a (much) cheaper blender 😂
Both devices do the same thing. If one battery is at a higher voltage than the other, the device will draw current from that battery only. Once voltages match, the device will draw current from both.