News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Add/Increase Battery to City5+

Started by qrp, September 29, 2023, 08:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

qrp

I have a RadCity5+ Step-Through and I would like to increase the battery capacity, the problem for me is not speed but endurance, I run out of power before I'm done riding and sometimes I have made the last mile with great exertion - I would rather not cut short my rides.
The battery it came with is 672 Wh, 48v, 14Ah, the motor is rated 750W. I have seen some posts about adding an extra battery to different models but not to the City5+. Has anyone done this to the City5+? Can you point me to some helpful articles? I have plenty of room on my rear rack to mount an extra battery but I'm not sure where to begin.

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: qrp on September 29, 2023, 08:43:18 PM

I have seen some posts about adding an extra battery to different models but not to the City5+. Has anyone done this to the City5+? Can you point me to some helpful articles? I have plenty of room on my rear rack to mount an extra battery but I'm not sure where to begin.

I think you are over complicating it. If you are serious of getting another battery. No need to make changes to your electrical system, just get one then swap batteries when one is low.
Check the hardware store for PVC pipe wide enough to fit the second battery and mount somewhere in the rear rack. Drill a couple of holes on the end caps and use a lock with a removable shackles for safety.
In Canada it's called ehBike

inoxa

Check CitizenCycle on youtube.  He has done battery upgrades but not your model. 
There are lot of battery options.  Just make sure you have panasonic, LG, or samsung battery cells.

You can also check area13 for battery wiring and connectors to adapt to your bike. They are also very helpful in finding what you need.  They have batteries as well.

I would prefer not to stop and change batteries on my ride.  Once I am moving I don't want to stop.  I use my bike for exercise and not for leisure. 

inoxa

this is listed in the for sale section.
Quote from: Zoli on September 24, 2023, 05:53:58 PM
I have a brand new battery for RadRunner Bikes directly from RAD, still in original packaging.
I replaced a RadRunner 2 stolen bike, and the battery comes with it whether you want it or not.
I still have the battery for the stolen bike, so I am selling the new one for $500 CDN, plus shipping.
The retail price from RAD is $751.45 CDN, including tax.
I live in Ontario, Canada.
Email me if interested.

qrp

Thanks, Naranja_CT5+. Yes, I am making it complicated. Whether a second battery is wired in or not I would still be carrying it around, so just carrying it securely and swapping it in is hardly an inconvenience. I am guilty of over-think. Thanks for the nudge.

mrgold35

I have two older 2016 Radrover with the smaller 11.4 Ah battery.  I ended up purchasing an extra battery and 2X my range alone or extend the range between two ebikes sharing 3 batteries.  The extra battery was small enough to place inside mine or the wife's Topeak MTX side fold out pannier if I know I/we will pushing the range limits on a ride.

A huge plus with the extra battery is I can rotate them between primary to back-up every few months.  All three battery packs are over 8 years old with around 10-15% loss in capacity with 8000 miles between both ebikes.