News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Rover battery won't remove with key, lock broken

Started by Tom Elliott, September 21, 2023, 12:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tom Elliott

3 year old Rad Rover with 7000km.
Battery is now stuck on bike and key won't release battery. Lock feels a little clunky, might be broken, or the little brass post that locks the battery in place is broken. How do I remove and/or replace loc?

inoxa

Does the lock turn or not?  I saw on Youtube about someone with a similar battery on how to do it.

Now if it unlocks okay then you have different problem like I had.  My battery connectors expanded due to too much power flowing.  I had to use a soft rubber mallet to get it off.  I tapped it from the bottom. 

I did that a few times and then finally had to replace both male and female connectors.  If this is your problem I will send you the Amazon link of the part replaced. 

FYI....I have a 2020 Rover with 6000 miles on it.  So about the same age as yours but with more mileage. 

Good luck.

handlebar

Quote from: inoxa on September 22, 2023, 03:27:05 PM

Now if it unlocks okay then you have different problem like I had.  My battery connectors expanded due to too much power flowing.  I had to use a soft rubber mallet to get it off.  I tapped it from the bottom. 

I can't pull loose the battery on my 2020 Radrunner. I pry between the bottom of the battery and the frame, using a stick or my fingers.

My 2022 Radmission was worse. I happened to have a length of 2 x 4 with one end cut to a 15 degree wedge. I'd slide the wedge in tight between the battery and the seat tube, then apply a little leverage. I worked on the locking tabs with a nail file. After several sessions, I could get the battery loose using my hand as a lever.

Radpower: it's not just a bike, it's an adventure.

handlebar

Quote from: inoxa on September 22, 2023, 03:27:05 PM
Does the lock turn or not?  I saw on Youtube about someone with a similar battery on how to do it.

Good luck.

I'd like to see that video. Do you have a link?

My 2022 10 AH battery appears to have the same case as my 2020 14 AH battery. I thought unscrewing the bottom plate would work on the 2022 because the lock is screwed to plastic that does not appear to be part of the bottom plate. Now I see that it would not work on the 2020 because the lock is screwed to the bottom plate.

In case the lock on my 2022 battery ever gets stuck, I tested my method by removing the screws. The screws on the two batteries look the same, but the heads on the 2022 are different. With the screws removed, I couldn't get the plate loose. Maybe it's cemented on.

The video might show me what to do if a lock gets stuck.

inoxa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8DLRlAEQNY&t=69s

this may be a different one i saw but looks similar.
good luck.

Tom Elliott

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help. I'll let you know how it goes.