News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Has anyone changed wiring harness?

Started by mwillis201, September 21, 2023, 02:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

mwillis201

What were your symptoms before you changed the wiring harness on you RadCity 5+?

mrgold35

I purchased a Radcity 5+ step-thru at the end of June 2023 and the controller went out with 16 miles on the ebike.  Some back and forth trouble-shooting with videos sent for Rad's confirmation of the issue.  I had zero power to the rear hub motor with PAS or throttle with no error codes on the LCD.  Everything else worked properly like the headlight, brake light and display. 

The new controller arrived around a week later.  The replacement controller cables were longer than the original and I had to stuff the extra in the frame or zip tie up the extra length on the outside.  The step-thru controller was located at the bottom of the inside of the frame near the pedal cranks.  It was easier to take the old controller out compared to replacing.  I couldn't get the new controller lined up to secure with the bottom exterior screws because to the extra cable length and tight space. I just gave up and didn't install the screws and taped up the screw holes to keep out water/debris.  The Radcity powered up and PAS/throttle worked perfectly since (only about 70 miles since fix). 

Naranja_CT5+

How much longer? It looked like you have enough room to wind it inside the frame [Step 3: Unplug the battery mount connector].
I am also curious if you have the 500w or 750w version.
In Canada it's called ehBike

mrgold35

I have the 750w USA version.  I didn't measure the difference between the old and new controller wires.  I tried to stuff what I could inside the bottom of the frame and folded and zip tied the rest on the outside.  It seemed like the controller looked like the one used for the older Radcity 5 with the controller located near the top of the large downtube near the handlebars?

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: mwillis201 on September 21, 2023, 02:57:41 AM
What were your symptoms before you changed the wiring harness on you RadCity 5+?
From reading the Wiring Harness replacement guide. It appears there are a number of symptoms that could cause it to fail since it's the "artery" of the entire bike.
Perhaps it's better if you describe the problems you are having?

@mrgold35, I think if it's still under warranty. I would tell them that they have sent an incorrect parts. If it was me it would drive me crazy knowing I have a mess down there. Plus you could have a spare parts if they sent you another one.

In Canada it's called ehBike

mrgold35

I zip tied it pretty good and the wife didn't notice the extra cable length.  Hopefully, this will fix the issue and not be a normal replacement item.  I have two 2016 Radrovers with 3 controller replacements the first year of ownership between them.  The Rovers have been rock solid since the 1 year warranty expired in 2017 (8000 miles between both ebikes).

Radding Along

The longer wires on the controller are for the high step City. They sent you the wrong controller.

With that said, the City controllers are interchangeable. Just wrap up the excess wire and zip tie it to the up frame member next to the pedals.

Not a big deal and no sense trying to get the correct controller.