News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Comfortable old persons seat.

Started by oldtexasdog, September 08, 2023, 08:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

oldtexasdog

I was looking to get a comfy extra padded seat for my upright city street riding. Rad City 5+. 27mm post right now with the Rad seat mount 50mm seat rails. 200lbs large butt 70+ years old. :-[
Thanks

JimInPT

Bike seats are sort of like shoes; you have to try different ones until you find a good fit.  I went through five of them, including two from Cloud 9, before finding the right fit - Amazon's easy return makes it pretty painless to do.

I can recommend Cloud 9's quality and variety; they make many different styles and sizes.  This is mine; I don't like the extra-long nose but can live with it otherwise: 
https://amzn.to/3RphA1a

Velmia and Bikeroo brands are also well-made, but didn't work for my butt.  I also added a Redshift suspension seatpost to my MiniST2; that also made a large difference in feel and handling.

Good luck; be patient and you'll find the right one.  Might even get lucky on the first try!
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

oldtexasdog

Looks like what I was after. Did it mount up to the RAD or did you have to get some other gear to get it on?

inoxa

They come with hardware but you may have to use the hardware that are on your RAD seat.

I tried different seats but didn't find my fit.  I ended up using the RAD seat and a padded seat cover from ebay.

JimInPT

Quote from: oldtexasdog on September 09, 2023, 03:22:46 AM
Looks like what I was after. Did it mount up to the RAD or did you have to get some other gear to get it on?

As Inoxa mentioned, they (and most) come with hardware to mount to either seatpost or rails - my Redshift post uses rails, which are nice for the small amount of fore/aft travel they offer for adjustment.  I was amazed at how much different a half-inch or inch forward/backward made in the ride feel, because it changes the angle of your spine as well as the amount of weight on your palms.

So, a seat order should supply everything you need to fit it to your bike but BYOT (bring your own tools).

P.S.  You can't go by looks alone to judge a seat - a couple that looked big and plush actually hurt my butt more than the flatter cushion version from the same company.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

oldtexasdog

Well I ordered the Cloud-9 Cruiser Select Saddle, 10.5" x 10.75", Black Soft Touch Vinyl . Should be here tomorrow and we will see.

oldtexasdog

Put it on and all I can say is WOW!! Love it.

rjp

oldtexasdog, let us know how it feels after a weeks worth of 30 mile rides.

oldtexasdog

LOL ;D Some things are gonna hurt no matter what but at least I don't start the ride hurting.
Thanks all

Naranja_CT5+

Funny on bicycle my limit is 10km. Anything more and my pair start being uncomfortable. But on motorcycles, I can ride for hundred of kilometres and not complain. I only stop when I need to fuel up.

Maybe there is a seat out there that?s rectangular rather than triangular shape is the answer.
In Canada it's called eh_Bike