News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Dual headlights brightness

Started by Naranja_CT5+, September 06, 2023, 09:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Naranja_CT5+

From reading this forum. I understand the standard headlights has 0.135a, 7w, and 51.8v
If this correct, if I wired 2 headlights in parallel would the current double up? I also don?t believe I need to add a fuse.

I am just wondering how it would affect the brightness of the headlights.
In Canada it's called eh_Bike

DickB

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on September 06, 2023, 09:14:55 AMif I wired 2 headlights in parallel would the current double up?
Yes. I would be concerned about exceeding the headlight power rating of the controller.

Naranja_CT5+

@DickB, thank you for your advice.

RAD tech support replied back indicating they have not tested this configuration. And I?m ok with that.

handlebar

Now that I ride at night, I have a different solution. At twilight or on streets with adequate light, I rely on the OEM light so drivers and pedestrians know I'm coming. When I need to see better, I turn on a rechargeable light on the handlebar, maybe 400 lumens on high.

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: handlebar on September 15, 2023, 06:23:13 PM
I rely on the OEM light so drivers and pedestrians know I'm coming. When I need to see better, I turn on a rechargeable light on the handlebar, maybe 400 lumens on high.

I put the question more for vanity than anything else. I thought it looked nice to have dual headlights.

I was near the RAD store in Vancouver and I thought I can save shipping cost if I buy another headlights while I'm there. I live on another province.

I wanted to see how it would affect a 200 lumens wired in parallel.
As you have alluded to. There are other options to gain brighter illuminations. I have flashlights and helmet style flashlights that are brighter than 500 lumens. I can easily mount it anywhere. I am very partial to Olight brand.

Anyways from the response I got from this forums and RAD support. I have decided to do nothing for now.

Radding Along

Running two standard Rad headlights is no issue. It works fine and both bulbs are full brightness.

You can find a cable splitter on Amazon to make the modification easy.

With that said, it?s far better to buy a rechargeable headlight on Amazon. Much brighter.

JimInPT

Quote from: DickB on September 07, 2023, 08:44:27 AMYes. I would be concerned about exceeding the headlight power rating of the controller.

I just got a reply from Area13 that their 35A controller kit won't even handle the Rad allegedly-"premium" headlight, stating emphatically that it WILL burn out the controller.  It's new verbiage added to their controller sales website page.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

George3

Thank you very much for that update..!!!!!!

Controller going in this week.... Anyone want to trade an upgrade light for a stock light?