News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Hello from Canada - DIY padded seat for rear rack

Started by Banjopete, September 04, 2023, 10:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

John Rose

Quote from: Ddaybc on September 20, 2023, 12:52:29 PM
You've got a 400 mm seat post maxed out? I think you're right, you may need a 450 mm post to get proper leg extension. I note Rad's web site indicates the RW4 is suitable for riders with an inseam just over 36" but I'm not sure how they measure. Bike fit is such a personal thing.

Good luck and keep trying to find a good fit.
Picking one of the bikes at random - https://radpowerbikes.ca/products/radrover-plus-step-thru-electric-fat-tire-bike?_pos=3&_sid=edef9694d&_ss=r - they have their sizing guide for the different models.
Just below the chart they have this:
QuoteWhat to Measure
Your "real inseam" -- or inside leg length -- is the distance between your body where it sits on your bike saddle and the ground.
This will typically be an inch or two longer than the length of your trousers, but you?ll want to measure to be sure.
You?ll use this number on the chart to get a feel for how the different models will fit you.
How to Measure
Gather the tools needed:
Medium-width hardcover book
Tape measure
A wall you can stand against
A trusted friend or relative
Wearing your regular riding shoes and with your back to the wall, stand with your feet spread so there is about 7 inches between them - this is about the distance apart your feet would be when straddling a bike with your feet on the ground (standover height).
Place a hardcover book against the wall with the spine of the book facing upward. Slide the book upwards towards your groin until it is solidly against your body. This may be a bit awkward, but is way more comfortable -- and safer! -- than trying to ride a bike that is too big.
If you have a buddy helping you, get them to measure from the floor to the top of the book spine while you hold the book in place. If you're going it alone, carefully hold the book in place and measure from the ground to the top of the book spine.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Banjopete

Quote from: John Rose on December 07, 2023, 11:24:33 PM
@Banjopete :
Is that houndstooth an upholstery fabric or some kind of waterproof vinyl?

What did you use for the clear plastic sheet fastened to the fender? Some kind of Lexan / polycarbonate stuff? And where did you get it?

Nothing that fancy as it was just a quick solution to the no pad situation. It's just cotton. We mostly deal with sun and snow here so rain isn't a concern. The plastic guards on the rear wheel came with the bike, standard stuff. It's quite nice to have as it keeps my kids' feet out of the spokes, and I would have wanted to do something about it if it wasn't a stock item.

Banjopete

Quote from: Ddaybc on December 11, 2023, 08:10:09 AM
Banjopete, when your Kenda tires arrived, other than an arrow showing which direction they are supposed to rotate, did they have any markings indicating Front or rear? I'm still divided between ordering one for my front wheel verses the tire chains from Slipknot Traction.

Thank you.

No front/rear designation, they're an identical pair. I've still not done anything about studding them, and am about a month in on snow riding now. They've been quite good in packed snow conditions. Decent enough on ice, but I'd still prefer studs at least on the front. I have liked the deep lugs for the deeper snow but the 90lb bike just doesn't it lend itself to a lot of agility when things get squirrely.

So far so good though as my next winter chariot. I don't have any worries it will do the job for the winter kid shuttling here, or my winter commuting.

Ddaybc

I took a ride a while ago just after we had some snow and before the cold snap hit. It was also raining so the road, especially in the bike lane, was covered in slush. Our city pushes the snow to the side of the road but not far enough to clear off the bike lanes. WOW, very hairy trying to stay upright and not falling over into traffic. I don't often ride in the winter yet but I am going to order a tire for the front of my bike and stud it. Probably for next winter as it's almost the end of January and we really only have about one month left in winter. If push comes to shove I will probably buy two tires and keep one "just in case" I decide I need to have the back tire capable of handling snow.
When/if you decide to stud your tire(s) can you post what studs you're going to use and how you're going to mount them?

Thank you