News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

GPS options for Radcity

Started by Paco, August 18, 2023, 05:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Paco

Has anyone placed a GPS device on their RadCity? The only option I have heard of is the apple air tags but I'm not sure they are real GPS devices...others require a subscription of sorts. Is GPS tracking useless in the event of theft? Thanks

Naranja_CT5+

The following remarks are purely my opinion and not based on any written facts:

Originally I was using a product called Tile. But it's crap, it cost me a lot of frustration looking for items that I misplaced. Then Apple came out with Airtags. I loved it but it's still has it's flaws. No subscription but you need another Apple device like iPhone, iPad, or an iCloud account in able to look for your lost items. I don't know enough about the technology behind Airtags. But I do not think it's based on GPS  or even "cellular tower triangulations". I am guessing it's similar to bouncing a signal and measuring the returned signal.

"Is GPS tracking useless in the event of theft?" useless is such a strong word. I believe Airtags are useful tool in locating your lost items. Recovering them is another story. I have heard of stories where a lost item was reported to police. But the police were reluctant to assist due to privacy issues. They have to be convinced without a doubt that the property you reported are yours with proper documentations.

One of the great thing about Airtag is the ability of other Airtag users to help you find your lost item but it's also one of it's flaws. If a thief has an iPhone, you just made him aware that the item he stole has an Airtag.
In Canada it's called eh_Bike

Paco

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on August 29, 2023, 02:53:11 PM
The following remarks are purely my opinion and not based on any written facts:

Originally I was using a product called Tile. But it's crap, it cost me a lot of frustration looking for items that I misplaced. Then Apple came out with Airtags. I loved it but it's still has it's flaws. No subscription but you need another Apple device like iPhone, iPad, or an iCloud account in able to look for your lost items. I don't know enough about the technology behind Airtags. But I do not think it's based on GPS  or even "cellular tower triangulations". I am guessing it's similar to bouncing a signal and measuring the returned signal.

"Is GPS tracking useless in the event of theft?" useless is such a strong word. I believe Airtags are useful tool in locating your lost items. Recovering them is another story. I have heard of stories where a lost item was reported to police. But the police were reluctant to assist due to privacy issues. They have to be convinced without a doubt that the property you reported are yours with proper documentations.

One of the great thing about Airtag is the ability of other Airtag users to help you find your lost item but it's also one of it's flaws. If a thief has an iPhone, you just made him aware that the item he stole has an Airtag.
thanks. I read more about the airtags and I have decided to give it a try (of course I have 2 strong locks)- I got a holder for it that goes at the bottom of the bike fork and I installed an airtag. I have tried it to see how accurate it is...I left my own iphone at home and my wife monitored the travel and it sure works well...I live in a big city with lots of iphones around!  I think I will disable the internal speaker of the airtag so that in the event that the bike is stolen and the airtag sends a notification to the thief's iphone or android he/she/they won't be able to make it chime...I honestly don't have any faith on this but it looks like a fun thing to do! there should be some accurate non removable GPS device that allows legitimate owners track and (with the help of the police) recover stolen bikes. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!  but for now, I will lock it properly. never leave it outside overnight and if I don't have to ride it then just ride my old beat up bike. That's how it life is...oh well