News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Long Ride in Spokane

Started by mosh, July 29, 2023, 10:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

mosh

Friday, I rode new RR6+ 67+ miles on fully charged battery, including streets, dedicated paved trail, rural paved/unpaved roads and with 1800 elevation gain. Used battery modestly conservatively, including not using headlight (use rechargeable handlebar headlight and tail lights. PAS = 0 when I could, otherwise mostly in PAS = 1.

JimInPT

Although it took extraordinary measures to achieve it, that's impressive range.

One question, though: why do you need a motor (instead of a regular bicycle), or was this just a test to see what she could do?
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

handlebar

Quote from: JimInPT on July 30, 2023, 06:50:51 AM

One question, though: why do you need a motor (instead of a regular bicycle), or was this just a test to see what she could do?

The discerning reader ( such as myself ) immediately recalls January 9, 2009, before remembering no, it was January 15, when U. S. Airways ended up with a wrecked airplane and a bunch of passengers who were madder than wet hens. Simulator tests showed that if the pilot had pedaled better, he could have made it to the airport. The airline whitewashed it by paying Tom Hanks a lot of money to portray him as Mr. Nice Guy. In light of that disaster, the FAA no doubt requires airline pilots like Mosh to be certified annually for ebike pedaling range.

A bicycle without a motor would not provide a realistic test for an airline pilot. Airliners need motors to climb because, as I'm sure you've often noticed, they have no derailleurs. No motors would be necessary if passengers  helped pedal on takeoff and up to 35,000 feet, but if seats had pedals with proper leg extension, there wouldn't be room for as many seats. Airlines can cram more passengers into airplanes with motors, as I'm sure you've noticed.

I remember now why I was confused about the date. January 9, 2009, was the day Dave Dee, of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, passed away. It was a disaster because they were way better than the Beatles.

JimInPT

Quote from: handlebar on July 30, 2023, 08:43:24 AMThe discerning reader ( such as myself ) immediately recalls January 9, 2009

That was a marvelous quantity of excellent points, all presented in a concise matter to inform and educate without inducing stupor.  Kudos.

Altema

Quote from: handlebar on July 30, 2023, 08:43:24 AM

The discerning reader ( such as myself ) immediately recalls January 9, 2009, before remembering no, it was January 15, when U. S. Airways ended up with a wrecked airplane and a bunch of passengers who were madder than wet hens. Simulator tests showed that if the pilot had pedaled better, he could have made it to the airport. The airline whitewashed it by paying Tom Hanks a lot of money to portray him as Mr. Nice Guy. In light of that disaster, the FAA no doubt requires airline pilots like Mosh to be certified annually for ebike pedaling range.

A bicycle without a motor would not provide a realistic test for an airline pilot. Airliners need motors to climb because, as I'm sure you've often noticed, they have no derailleurs. No motors would be necessary if passengers  helped pedal on takeoff and up to 35,000 feet, but if seats had pedals with proper leg extension, there wouldn't be room for as many seats. Airlines can cram more passengers into airplanes with motors, as I'm sure you've noticed.

I remember now why I was confused about the date. January 9, 2009, was the day Dave Dee, of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, passed away. It was a disaster because they were way better than the Beatles.
And this is all directly related to the price of tea in China.

Maybe 😜

Altema

It is a good example of what can be achieved, but you do bring up an excellent point. If the riding experience makes you work just as hard as not even having an e-bike, then... why? However I totally get the testing and sense of accomplishment efforts, and am also impressed.

handlebar

Quote from: Altema on August 20, 2023, 08:47:41 AM

It is a good example of what can be achieved, but you do bring up an excellent point. If the riding experience makes you work just as hard as not even having an e-bike, then... why? However I totally get the testing and sense of accomplishment efforts, and am also impressed.

I'm not Mosh, but the exercise makes me feel good besides improving my health. Otherwise, moving 6 tons of gravel across my lawn in a wheelbarrow would have required rest breaks. All that resting would have meant less time to pedal my bike. It seems it's not just the circulatory system that benefits. The Dutch have remarkably low rates of cancer and diabetes.

Fear of failure made me begin to practice pedaling. If I had to get off and push in the event of an engine failure, ebikers would harass me with their squeeze horns and tell me to get off the sidewalk. Pedaling would allow me to stay seated. They'd know I was a snob like them and refrain from raucous honking.

I've lost power only once, pedaling down the hill to my house. I was mystified until I saw that the clock on the stove wasn't lit. When the power came back on, my ebike worked again.

If I see a cop, I stop pedaling and use the throttle because the chief knows I don't have a peddler's license.

I also use the throttle when I have to break wind, which some riders do constantly. Above 15 miles an hour, most of a rider's energy goes into breaking wind, and it increases as the cube of his speed. That's relative speed. Before I had an ebike, in a headwind I might struggle to break wind at 5 mph.

JimInPT

Quote from: handlebar on August 20, 2023, 11:34:44 AMI also use the throttle when I have to break wind, which some riders do constantly. Above 15 miles an hour, most of a rider's energy goes into breaking wind, and it increases as the cube of his speed. That's relative speed. Before I had an ebike, in a headwind I might struggle to break wind at 5 mph.

Have you done any test comparisons to determine how much speed you gain on days you've eaten beans?  I struggled to notice any difference until I finally figured out I was facing the wrong way and was just breaking into the wind.

handlebar

My brother trained with the 1980 US Olympic Bicycle Team. He told me that they'd take turns sprinting to the front of the pack to break wind. Naturally, President Carter suspended U S  participation. As a result, the Russian team won. To this day, 80% of Russians equate putin' with Russian might.

SemperVee

You win!  Most I have ever done is 59 miles and down to the last bar on Mini with much skinnier tires than you but i weight 220 and carry two racks and tools and saddlbags of stuff, Just in case...