News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

motor phase wires awg

Started by ejonesss, July 28, 2023, 05:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ejonesss

i was wondering what awg does the julet octagon wire use for the phase wires?

i just upgraded the motor to the true 750 watt motor and i notice the wire gets hot and causes the motor sensor wires to not make good connection because i get sensor fault errors when ever the motor is under heavy load so i had to turn the c5 to 6 in order to reduce the current to the motor and i was wondering what size wires do they use for the phase wires?

is there a way to fit thicker wires onto the motor sice the wires come through the axel say 10 awg because it looks like they 12 or 14 awg

JTK77

Those wires are 12 or 13awg stock. 11 awg phases fit without hall wires. I have heavily modded G062 series motor with 8 awg phases plus liquid cooling lines, temp sensor etc now installed.

handlebar

Are you using the KT-LCD8H display?

Is C2 set to 0? I understand that gives you the best combination of torque and top speed as well as the best efficiency. Good efficiency would mean using back EMF to reduce the heating of the wires.

I saw a video where a technician tweaked a controller with a computer interface. He seemed to adjust what would be C2 on the KT-LCD8H, looking for a little more speed. The computer would display the amps in the windings, and he would decide if that was safe.

I don't have that equipment, so I leave C2 at the default zero. My stock Radrunner motor gets about 1500 watts from the 35 amp controller and putts 1,000 watts on the wheel. After coming up a hill, the warming is only a couple of degrees.

ejonesss

c2 is set to 06 witch is for the upgraded motor

the display is KT-LCD8H display i think it was part of the area13 upgrade kit and displays the area13 logo on turn on instead of the blue ring all the time like the pictures show.

and c2 of 05 is for the stock motor.

06 allows the display to show the correct speed and milage on the upgraded motor otherwise the speed is inverted (may have to do with that the connector connects 1/8 turn off).

by running the motor on 06 does that cause phase conflicts witch is causing the heating when it is under heavy load like going up long hills?

or is 00 running the motor in sensorless mode where the back emf is used for sensing instead of hall sensors?

handlebar

According to the display manual, C2 is the motor phase classification setting, and 0 is for the ordinary Quantum motor phase. I don't really understand it.

Maybe Area 13 could advise you.

handlebar

Quote from: ejonesss on July 28, 2023, 08:17:29 AM

06 allows the display to show the correct speed and milage on the upgraded motor otherwise the speed is inverted (may have to do with that the connector connects 1/8 turn off).

I thought the odometer and speedometer had nothing to do with motor phase classification. I thought they used pulses from one or more magnets that rotated with the wheel. (On some bikes, the magnets are outside the motor case, on the spokes.) P2 lets you say how many magnets you have, and DIM lets you say the tire diameter.

ejonesss

Quote from: handlebar on July 28, 2023, 12:03:43 PM
Quote from: ejonesss on July 28, 2023, 08:17:29 AM

I thought the odometer and speedometer had nothing to do with motor phase classification. I thought they used pulses from one or more magnets that rotated with the wheel. (On some bikes, the magnets are outside the motor case, on the spokes.) P2 lets you say how many magnets you have, and DIM lets you say the tire diameter.

it may do that but i noticed in the beginning that the speed would differ from the external speed/milage indicator i added.

i set up the external meter mainly because the stock display would not remember the trip after being turned off and once i upgraded while the external meter shows 20 mph the upgrade display showed 17 mph but when i set the p2 to 0 then both speed indicators showed the same speed.

and a correction: the c2 was actually 0 not 06 sorry for the mistake.

and another correction i thought the display did not have the blue ring but it does i must not have payed attention before so yes it is the same display it is just that it is possible to program the display to display custom image when it turns on.

handlebar

Quote from: ejonesss on July 28, 2023, 02:10:56 PM

it may do that but i noticed in the beginning that the speed would differ from the external speed/milage indicator i added.

i set up the external meter mainly because the stock display would not remember the trip after being turned off and once i upgraded while the external meter shows 20 mph the upgrade display showed 17 mph but when i set the p2 to 0 then both speed indicators showed the same speed.

and a correction: the c2 was actually 0 not 06 sorry for the mistake.

and another correction i thought the display did not have the blue ring but it does i must not have payed attention before so yes it is the same display it is just that it is possible to program the display to display custom image when it turns on.

I looked up setting P2 to 0, and I think I'm learning something. If you're coasting, and the motor is stopped, does the indicated speed go to 0?

I wondered where in the motor case my speed magnet was. It must be in the carrier that holds the planetary gears. I wonder if your carrier has more than one speed magnet.

When I got the 35 amp controller for my Radrunner with the nominally 750 watt motor, I found out from Bolton that the motor has 1 speed magnet and, IIRC, 100 field magnets. IIRC, it has 20, but you say 100 beause the motor spins 5 times faster than the wheel. I didn't know why the controller would care. I think the controller computes how much voltage to feed each leg at a particular instant by how much impedance (back EMF) the leg has at that instant.

I bought a 25 amp controller for my Radmission because it would fit between the seat tube and the fender, like the original. It's not a geared motor, and I didn't know how many magnets it had. When I received  the new controller, it was programmed for 86 magnets, IIRC. I unplugged the motor and connected a jumper between 2 of the 3 power leads going to the motor. Turning the wheel backward to engage the motor freewheel (or is clutch the proper term?), I counted 96 magnetic bumps per revolution of the wheel

I programmed 96 magnets and didn't notice any change in performance. Now I think I see why they ask how many magnets. If I set P2 to 0, it could display my speed on the basis of one wheel revolution per 96 motor sine waves.

I didn't set P2 at 0. I guessed at different numbers and found that the speedometer was right at P2 =1, so it has one speed magnet.

Now I'm guessing that setting C2 at 0 will keep the voltage in phase with the impedance. That might prevent overheating.