News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Broken lock on battery

Started by guitarchad@gmail.com, July 23, 2023, 10:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

guitarchad@gmail.com

So my bike was stolen and recovered but then they buggered up the lock on the external battery. Is there a way to remove the lock mechanism and still be able to remove the battery and or turn it on or off?

JimInPT

If nothing else, check with your home insurance company; it may be covered.  I looked into adding my e-bike to my policy and was told it's just automatically covered with my other possessions, no extra paperwork or fee required.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

handlebar

What model do  you have? Will the battery come off the bike?

The batteries on my 2020 Radrunner 1 and my 2022 Radmission are similar. If one would come off the bike, it looks as if the lock could be replaced by removing some screws. If you don't want to buy a new lock, the wiring could probably be spliced so that power was available whenever the battery was on the bike.

If the battery is locked to the bike, I'd contact Radpower.

guitarchad@gmail.com

Quote from: handlebar on July 24, 2023, 07:24:14 PM
What model do  you have? Will the battery come off the bike?

It?s a three or four year old rad rover The battery is definitely locked to the bike frame.  Not quite sure how to get it off without breaking anything further. .

If the battery is locked to the bike, I'd contact Radpower.

handlebar

This is the battery case from my 2020 Radrunner, which is interchangeable with the one on my 2022 Radmissiion. The top plastic piece has the six tabs that slide under the plastic tabs on the bike. The key points to the stud on the lock. When the lock is set, it sticks out 9mm, engaging a hole to keep the battery tabs from being slid from under the tabs on the bike.

The screwdriver is on one of twelve screws that secure the piece with the tabs to the case. Two are at the end opposite the screwdriver. You can't reach them with the battery on the bike, but that's okay. With the bike inverted, you should be able to unscrew the five on each side, allowing you to tip the lock end of the case away from the bike so that the stud will come out of the hole and you can slide the battery loose.

The screwdriver is a #1 Phillips. I didn't like the feel. A #2 PZ feels better. It looks like a #2 Phillips but fits most crosshead screws better and is less likely to cam out and damage the screw.

Good luck!

Oh... I've never taken those screws out. Somebody else here may know more about it.