News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

a better spoke wrench

Started by handlebar, July 11, 2023, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

handlebar

I had the kind with 8 slots cut in a ring. It was clumsy, and I couldn't see what I was doing. It was easy to get the wrong slot. Working by touch, I'd have to stop to think about which way to turn it.

I bought this one hoping to eliminate those problems and because the "box" opening looked better than a simple slot.

I did all 128 spokes on 2 ebikes. Adjusting one spoke changes the tension on others, which I check by sound. This wrench makes a good hammer, so I could adjust and ding without changing tools. Because I could see the wrench on the "nut," I had no trouble visualizing which way to tighten or loosen. The "box" opening gave me a stronger feeling connection than a slot, and the length of the wrench let me see just how far I was turning it.

The ring wrench was awkward enough that I preferred to turn a bike upside down, which entailed moving the mirror, display, and switch. The new wrench is handy enough that I can simply lay a bike on its side. After adjusting spokes, I checked each rim by bracing a stick against the fork or chain stay so that the end of the stick dragged lightly against the rim, then turning the wheel a revolution. All were true. If I'd found runout, the new wrench would have made it easier to fix.

I put a 30" dog tag chain through the hole in the wrench. I'll know by touch which end is which. It should be easy to find if I drop it, and I can hang it on the wall.