News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

CST Big Boat 20x3 tires may be available through Rad (and not elsewhere)

Started by JimInPT, June 23, 2023, 10:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

Hi all,

FYI, just thought I'd note that after having a shopping-cart pending order cancelled on eBay and finding them NOWHERE else, including CST's own store, I was able to place an order for a pair of CST Big Boat 20x3 spare tires for my 2021 MiniST2 (and other bikes, see the Compatibility tab) directly from Rad, here:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/cst-big-boat-tire-20x3?variant=39441026023520

Currently US$39 each, when tax/shipping was added, two tires delivered are $96 which is a fair price for a pair of quality tires.  This is about what the eBay purchase would have cost if it had completed.

My order has been placed, billed and accepted, but no notice of shipping yet since I just placed it.  But they do show in stock, so if you've been thinking of putting spare tires into your bike's garage, this might be a good time, lest they disappear altogether.  Assuming my order is fulfilled as expected, I'll come back here to update this post from "may be" to "are".

I did click on Ryan's affiliate link (shown at the top of most forum pages) before logging into my account and placing the order, but I have no way of knowing if that works to benefit him for parts orders.

I love these tires, so if you're considering them as an alternative for your bike (assuming they'd fit), I can highly recommend this over the knobbier Kendas that Rad used to ship - much quieter, more efficient and maneuverable on pavement, concrete and hard-packed dirt trails.  They seem to wear well, too; after 2 years of seasonal riding and over 600 miles, they show little wear, no leaks and no flats (I Slimed them when I got the bike and often ride woods trails with blackberry thorns, but nothing really pointy except for the occasional broken bit of rock or tree branch) - I bought these spares to make sure I can replace the original tires when the time comes and I already have extra tubes onhand from Rad long ago once I discovered that size is hard to find.

Happy Summer!
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

SemperVee

The Boat tires, DO seem to perform much better then they appear, I'll give you that as I also have 600 miles on my mini and doing well.  Keep thinking I should have a set of tires of some sort ready to go just in case...

JimInPT

Quote from: SemperVee on June 23, 2023, 12:48:17 PMKeep thinking I should have a set of tires of some sort ready to go just in case...

Once my deferred-checkout eBay order was cancelled due to being no longer available, and I started seeing "out of stock" on all the other websites, I decided to stop screwing around and do a deal.  Was quite surprised to find them supposedly "in stock" at Rad after all the recent reports of parts shortages, but until they land at my front door and are as claimed to be, I still won't relax about it.

Radio Runner

So I purchased 4 Big Boats over a year ago knowing knobbies on pavement sap the life outta legs and batteries. Also being very familiar with how good ties just suddenly go outta production ?that?s why I got four.

Welp, I just panic purchased 1 more off Rads site. 39$ plus 10 shipping to Oregon.

I ride a 40 mile commute twice a week about 45 weeks a year. I have over 3,000 miles on two Big Boats. The front is still in great shape about 60% tread left. The rear is on its last chapter, bald and smooth. I run max pressure. 30psi

Thanks for the heads up.

JimInPT

Rad just sent me an update email saying my tire order has been shipped and  should arrive July 6th, so that's a hopeful sign they're actually available.

However, the shipment weight is listed as under 5 lbs, which seems light to me for 2 tires, but maybe that's not accurate.  I'll update end of next week when it arrives.

Radio Runner

Got my notice as well. 1 tire 2.6 pounds. Delivery due this Saturday.

The last time I ordered these they did NOT box them. Just a sticker label on the bare tires zip tied together. Really unprofessional.

JimInPT

Mine was 4.8 lbs, so maybe that is 2 tires and my shipment is the same - ziptied tires flopping around in the breeze.  Should be ok, tires are supposed to be tough but one never knows; would you mind updating on your delivery?  Mine's still a week away.

Radio Runner

Zip tied together in the perfect world isn?t a problem, hopefully they are not next to bundles of pitch forks etc that also ship with boxes.

Refreshed the tracking, coming outta California and still due by Saturday. The ones I ordered last year came from Seattle.

JimInPT

Quote from: Radio Runner on June 28, 2023, 09:40:06 PM
Zip tied together in the perfect world isn?t a problem, hopefully they are not next to bundles of pitch forks etc that also ship with boxes.

Refreshed the tracking, coming outta California and still due by Saturday. The ones I ordered last year came from Seattle.

Interesting; mine are shipping to the Northwest and coming out of Georgia, making the trip about as long as it's possible to be in the CONUS.  Go figger.  Maybe that was the only location that still had two in stock, which wouldn't bode well.

Radio Runner

My shipping has updated to Monday the 3rd. Still leaving from California but didn?t leave till this morning.

Probably tied to the dock for a few days cushioning the bow or stern from whatever boat it came in on while they unloaded the rest the cargo.

JimInPT

Quote from: Radio Runner on June 30, 2023, 03:40:50 PMProbably tied to the dock for a few days cushioning the bow or stern from whatever boat it came in on while they unloaded the rest the cargo.

Found 'em.

Looks like they consolidated both our shipments, but I think CA shipped you the wrong size.

Radio Runner

My order of one Big Boat has docked. It came in a large box this time much to my surprise. Tire is dusty like it?s been sitting on the shelf for awhile but otherwise in perfect condition.

JimInPT

Quote from: Radio Runner on July 03, 2023, 11:19:20 AM
My order of one Big Boat has docked. It came in a large box this time much to my surprise. Tire is dusty like it?s been sitting on the shelf for awhile but otherwise in perfect condition.

That's good to hear - they do exist!  Even though I ordered before you, I'm not so fortunate so far.  Fedex is still claiming it'll deliver today, but unless they took it out of the truck that was in Nebraska last night and put it on a jet, I don't think it's likely it'll be west of Seattle right now, so I expect another "delivery update" with fresh wonderful new delay information.  Fortunately it's not urgently-awaited, if it took another month I'm fine unless a tire shreds - I just hope the order is accurate and complete.

crorris

Lectric has CST 20" x 3" tires on their website. I don't think they're the Big Boats. They have a knobby tread pattern. They're 2 for $50.

https://lectricebikes.com/collections/parts/products/cst-tires-2-20-x-3