News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radrunner 3+ Controller upgrade

Started by fromthelake, June 18, 2023, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

fromthelake

Hello everyone! I was able to test the Radrunner 3+ recently. I fit into it fairly well, and love the bike. The one thing that I am worried about is that it won?t be able to have adequate power/torque to get up a monster hill that will be on my commute. The hill is just over 1 km with an average grade 13%. I heard that there new rad controller has a walk function, so getting up the hill one way or another isn?t too big of a deal for the first little while. However, I want to make sure that I can in fact upgrade the controller overtime. I?ve heard that the Radrunner at 3+ cannot currently physically fit the 35 amp controllers that are used to upgrade the Radrunner and Radrunner two. Is this accurate? To me one of the nice things about the Radrunner and rad power bikes in general is that they seem fairly easy to upgrade components so it would be a shame at this wouldn?t be the case for a Radrunner 3+.

JimInPT

Quote from: fromthelake on June 18, 2023, 06:14:05 PMI?ve heard that the Radrunner at 3+ cannot currently physically fit the 35 amp controllers that are used to upgrade the Radrunner and Radrunner two. Is this accurate? To me one of the nice things about the Radrunner and rad power bikes in general is that they seem fairly easy to upgrade components so it would be a shame at this wouldn?t be the case for a Radrunner 3+.

That used to be true until the current new generation, as you're finding out.  However, Electro Bike World now offers a 35A controller/display upgrade (using the same controller as for the older bikes, I think, but with new cabling) for the new Rover 6+ series.  I wouldn't be surprised if Area13 also has it by now.  I think it mounts externally, leaving the original controller in place, but they say it works.

https://electrobikeworld.com/products/rad-power-6-upgrade-kit

This means a similar upgrade should eventually become available for your Runner 3 if there's enough demand, so you might want to contact them to express interest.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.