News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New Rad Rover 6 Plus won't power up correctly

Started by philipshaw, June 13, 2023, 04:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

philipshaw

New just assembled today RR 6 Plus When I press the power button on the UI remote (left side) the main display shows 00, the UI remote lights up to display an 8 then shuts off. The lights also come on and stay on along with the 00 on the main display. If I press the power button again nothing happens the lights and display stay on. If I press the light button sometimes the bike shuts off and sometimes stays on. If it stays on the only way to shut the bike down is to remove the battery. Does anyone else have this problem on a new bike or have any idea what may be wrong?
No response from Rad.

Adam B

I have the exact same problem!
I emailed Rad and got this response:

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact Rad Power Bikes! We hope that the following information can help get your throttle/PAS to start working again. If it does not solve this issue or isn?t relevant to your situation, please respond to this email and it will re-open your case. The first troubleshooting step would be a full connector check! Basically just unplugging the cables and making sure that there is no debris or moisture buildup inside of the cables, and taking note of any frayed cables. If you need assistance locating all of the connections, here's a link to our help center connection guide articles, please find your bike model: https://support.radpowerbikes.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=connector If the connections all look good and that didn't resolve the issue, would you please test the brake connectors by leaving them unplugged while you test the throttle? This test works by disabling the brake sensor to see if one is faulty and cutting the motor power. Here's a step-by-step guide, for transparency: -Remove the battery from the bike frame -Discharge residual energy by holding down the power/mode button -Unplug a brake sensor -Re-mount battery -Power the bike on, with the brake sensor still unplugged -Test throttle -If the throttle does not work, please plug the brake lever back in and repeat the steps for the other brake lever! If we could get our eyes on the situation, that would be extremely helpful. Would you please send a video of you (or an assistant) performing these two tests listed below? Please answer the questions below as well! Thank you for your help! 1. Rollback Test: First, turn the bike on and immediately after the display comes on, roll the bike backward while twisting the throttle quickly and gently on and off, and see if the motor will apply any power to the wheel. Do you feel the bike twitching or any small bursts of energy?​​ Please let us know! 2. Resistance Test: I'd like you to unplug your motor connector (see the end of the email for the location) and spin your rear wheel forward until it naturally comes to a stop. Next, spin the wheel backward. Pay close attention to how the wheel feels when spinning in either direction. Comparing the amount of resistance between the two scenarios above, do you notice any resistance either way? As soon as we have all of this information, we will be able to further assist you. Thank you for your patience- please let us know if you have any questions.

I don?t think they understood my issue because none of these tests have anything to do with the UI remote or display.
Very frustrating!

philipshaw

Adam I had ordered 2 bikes and when the 2nd one came yesterday it had the exact same problem. Rad has shipped a replacement UI remote for the first bike I received and it is to arrive this Tuesday. I reported the same problem on my 2nd bike yesterday afternoon and they had already created an order for the 2nd UI by the end of the day. So they do seem to be looking after the issue. I'm glad because I really like the design and comfort level of the bike. Seems there are many bikes sold recently with the same problem so they may be a little overwhelmed at customer service. Hopefully, the new UI arriving this week will resolve the problem. I will post when I know.

AdamP

I have the exact same problem!! My wife?s brand new RR6+ bike works, aside from having to totally readjust the derailer. 

My brand new out of the box RR6+ bike won?t work.  Showing the zeros and the 8, lights work motor works but nothing else. At least my derailer was setup properly! Lol

Hoping to hear about a fix tomorrow after the holiday!

Is the only repair a replacement of parts?

aforwood

Quote from: philipshaw on June 13, 2023, 04:15:54 PM
New just assembled today RR 6 Plus When I press the power button on the UI remote (left side) the main display shows 00, the UI remote lights up to display an 8 then shuts off. The lights also come on and stay on along with the 00 on the main display. If I press the power button again nothing happens the lights and display stay on. If I press the light button sometimes the bike shuts off and sometimes stays on. If it stays on the only way to shut the bike down is to remove the battery. Does anyone else have this problem on a new bike or have any idea what may be wrong?
No response from Rad.

I had this same problem, and found out from the employee's at the Vancouver outlet that the UI remote that it comes shipped to their store in the box has a UI remote made for the US, and it needs to be replaced with one made for Canada. I live nearby and went in to talk to them in person after dealing with the help centre through emails and getting nowhere, not even the info I'm giving you here. The Vancouver store knows about the problem and even though they were booked up for servicing until late September (3 months), they allowed me to bring my bike in the next day and they would fix the problem. It took five minutes, and the new part was free because of my warranty. Normally it costs $89 and isn't listed in their website's products pages for some reason.

I also found out from talking to someone on their website's chat line that the help centre emails and chat line aren't coming from the Vancouver outlet, so you're dealing with two different entities, and the people at the Vancouver outlet are probably not aware of the way customers are treated with the false niceties and useless suggestions. I also found out somewhere that the company is incorporated in Delaware, where they have loose laws for incorporating businesses that allow for the sort of shady business strategy that appears to be going on with this company. The owners control the communications with customers online and the store outlets take the rap. But the Vancouver store employees are very helpful when you go in there and they do whatever they can to accommodate you.

I suggest that if you live close to the outlet you bought your bike from (in Canada), then go in with your bike and talk to them personally about getting the UI remote switched to the Canadian version, or try to contact the store by phone and explain that you have the wrong UI remote and have them ship it to you (for free). I can't seem to attach an image of the sticker on the back of the new part that has the product code on it, so I'll have to type in what's on the sticker:

CA Version
74401325003H1021050301570048

aforwood

Quote from: Adam B on June 24, 2023, 08:29:10 AM
I have the exact same problem!
I emailed Rad and got this response:

Some shady things going on with the business strategy of the owners of this company. It's not the fault of the employees working at their outlets.

See my reply to the OP for a solution to the problem.