News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Remote and Display Malfunction

Started by pworkman, June 12, 2023, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

pworkman

Hi. New Here. Sorry if I break decorum with this question:

My brand new out of the box Rad Rover 6 plus has not functioned properly from the beginning. The remote on button works, but nothing lights up even though the remote on this model has its own small display screen. If I press light and down a faint "8" appears but that's it. The on button will start the bike, but will not turn it off. The display (which is separate to the remote on this model) only shows "00" even when riding the bike. (yes it does run but no setting work). THe display goes dim when I press the light button. THe light won't turn off either.  The connections seem ok.

I haven't heard back from a human. Are there replacement parts available somewhere? How can I get customer service? Any ideas on how to fix this?

philipshaw

Hi - Im new here as well. I just received my RR6 today and just finished the assembly and have exactly the same problem. Very well described by the way! I haven't been able to reach Rad either. Please keep me posted on your progress in resolving this issue as I will you.
Thanks

Hads

I had a display issue out of the box too (the display in the middle of the handlebars).  Luckily I contacted Rad before their customer service went AWOL.  I'd had a LOT of compliments on my bike and people asking me where to get one.  But I've been telling ALL of them to avoid Rad because of their obvious current customer service issues. 

johnmdhall

I just received my RR6, on Friday June 18th, 2023, and have the same issue.  The throttle seems to work, but I have no way to power off the bike, without removing the battery, or switch the PAS to any level.  When I press the down button and the light button, which is supposed to allow you to change the settings, a humming sound is present, but nothing else.  "00" displays in the center no matter what and "8" appears on the PAS screen.  Has anyone been able to fix this issue? 

Finally got ahold of someone through email, sent them a video and they said its most likley RAD UI remote.  They have sent me a new one in the mail, hopefully it gets here tomorrow.  The delayed gratification of riding my new bike has been nearly 3 weeks...I hope its worth it...

jeff bruce

Same problem only with UI controller not able to speak to anyone for weeks all i need to know  where to buy one . good luck and let me know if you find some way to make contact with a human .

pspaullys

I have the same issue with my brand new Rad Rover 6+. Was anyone able to figure out this issue?

Fazcan

I have the same problem too. If anyone find a solution please let me know. Thanks

Jeff.hamilton

Same problem with my brand new RR6+. Tried phoning - closed. Emailed and they responded with send us more info. I sent back the info including a video ( https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f1um79fG9m80gqI04mtNuI9A ). After waiting 3 weeks to receive the bike, it?s a little frustrating as you all know. My brother-in-law has the same bike and we swapped the remote/pas display and then my bike seemed to work fine - at least the remote display worked. Oh, we also checked all the connection pins and such and all were fine.

So, sucks that the bike isn?t fully functional. However, I can still ride it and keep up with my wife if I just use the throttle which seems to work fine. Hope I don?t have to do this too long before getting the replacement part.

Update: received this from Tech Support. Not sure if it’s the fix …

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact Rad Power Bikes! We hope that the following information can help get your throttle/PAS to start working again. If it does not solve this issue or isn’t relevant to your situation, please respond to this email and it will re-open your case. The first troubleshooting step would be a full connector check! Basically just unplugging the cables and making sure that there is no debris or moisture buildup inside of the cables, and taking note of any frayed cables. If you need assistance locating all of the connections, here's a link to our help center connection guide articles, please find your bike model: https://support.radpowerbikes.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=connector If the connections all look good and that didn't resolve the issue, would you please test the brake connectors by leaving them unplugged while you test the throttle? This test works by disabling the brake sensor to see if one is faulty and cutting the motor power. Here's a step-by-step guide, for transparency: -Remove the battery from the bike frame -Discharge residual energy by holding down the power/mode button -Unplug a brake sensor -Re-mount battery -Power the bike on, with the brake sensor still unplugged -Test throttle -If the throttle does not work, please plug the brake lever back in and repeat the steps for the other brake lever! If we could get our eyes on the situation, that would be extremely helpful. Would you please send a video of you (or an assistant) performing these two tests listed below? Please answer the questions below as well! Thank you for your help! 1. Rollback Test: First, turn the bike on and immediately after the display comes on, roll the bike backward while twisting the throttle quickly and gently on and off, and see if the motor will apply any power to the wheel. Do you feel the bike twitching or any small bursts of energy?​​ Please let us know! 2. Resistance Test: I'd like you to unplug your motor connector (see the end of the email for the location) and spin your rear wheel forward until it naturally comes to a stop. Next, spin the wheel backward. Pay close attention to how the wheel feels when spinning in either direction. Comparing the amount of resistance between the two scenarios above, do you notice any resistance either way? As soon as we have all of this information, we will be able to further assist you. Thank you for your patience- please let us know if you have any questions.

Chexican

I have the exact same problem, bought my Rad Rover 6 Plus on June 10th, it arrived yesterday June 20th and the bike turns on but wont turn off, same 00 on the main display and a faint 8 on the left side display, cant find the answer to this problem anywhere so frustrating

Jeff.hamilton

Quote from: Chexican on June 21, 2023, 03:49:59 PM
I have the exact same problem, bought my Rad Rover 6 Plus on June 10th, it arrived yesterday June 20th and the bike turns on but wont turn off, same 00 on the main display and a faint 8 on the left side display, cant find the answer to this problem anywhere so frustrating

I tried calling support. No one. Sent an email yesterday. I will post here when I get a response. Did you send an email, too?

pspaullys

Tried emailing and there was no response. Luckily I don't live that far away from the Vancouver store and they just said bring the bike down and they switched out the pas controller in about 20 mins and now bike works good as new. The tech at the store said they had done 8 other units just today with the same issue.

Jeff.hamilton

Quote from: pspaullys on June 22, 2023, 11:26:41 AM
Tried emailing and there was no response. Luckily I don't live that far away from the Vancouver store and they just said bring the bike down and they switched out the pas controller in about 20 mins and now bike works good as new. The tech at the store said they had done 8 other units just today with the same issue.

I wish I lived closer ?

Jeff.hamilton

The Rad Chat is now available! After some frustrating email exchange with support (lots of time to reply & no solution), I got an email that said that Chat was open. Had a great/quick chat with Gregg, he watched my video and concluded that it was the controller and not the pas remote. I should receive my new one in 3-7 days. Looking forward to riding my new bike :)

Quote from: pworkman on June 12, 2023, 01:50:24 PM

My brand new out of the box Rad Rover 6 plus has not functioned properly from the beginning. The remote on button works, but nothing lights up even though the remote on this model has its own small display screen. If I press light and down a faint "8" appears but that's it. The on button will start the bike, but will not turn it off. The display (which is separate to the remote on this model) only shows "00" even when riding the bike. (yes it does run but no setting work). THe display goes dim when I press the light button. THe light won't turn off either.  The connections seem ok.

I haven't heard back from a human. Are there replacement parts available somewhere? How can I get customer service? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Freakyninja

Hey. I have the same issue with my 6plus. ?00? showing on the speedometer and the feint ?8? when pressing the up arrow button.
My PAS does not engage either when pedalling. Also, when pedalling, my gears switch up and down without me touching the gear shifter. I?ve emailed rad a few times already and have not heard a thing back.
Question for you. Do you have a loose connector wire that faces down and is capped! And if doesn?t have anywhere to connect to? Cause mine does.
I have another rover6plus I bought last year and it doesn?t have that extra loose connection.
Let me know if/when they get back to you. Thanks.

aforwood

Quote from: pworkman on June 12, 2023, 01:50:24 PM

Search for my user name (aforwood) and read the first message I posted (July 4, 2023) for a solution.