News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

One Year Without a Car

Started by Trogster, May 26, 2023, 12:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Trogster

It was about one year ago that I suffered a medical emergency that put me in hospital for 1-week, and sent my car to the scrap-heap.

Despite a battery of tests and being placed under the care of an Endocrinologist, no cause of my medical condition could be determined.

Rather that performing more tests, our medical system washed their hands of me and left me to my own devices.

So, over the last year, I've taken matters into my own hands, did my own research, and made some lifestyle changes.  And although tests indicated that there was nothing wrong with my ticker and my blood sugar levels were normal, I wasn't so sure.

Adopting a heart-healthy lifestyle was easy.  More veggies, fewer carbs, cut calories, more fish, less red meat, regular exercise... you know the routine. 

Having no car, and with car dealers without inventory, I decided to give a no-car lifestyle a try.  First, I needed a bike for necessities.  To meet that need, the Radwagon cargo ebike did the trick.  And although the bike is great for local grocery runs, I was limited to about a 20Mile radius.

So, I became a regular user of Amazon and Big-Box store delivery services.

And although living without a car is indeed manageable here in the lower mainland of BC where the weather is rather temperate, I'm sure excited about getting my new car next month.

I am pleased to report that over the last year, my health is much improved.  I haven't had any medical issues for months and lost 60-pounds.

I plan to continue my health-restoration journey; however, I fear if I lose any more weight, half my clothes will be unwearable.  😊

klurejr

That is awesome, I would love to be able to reduce down to a bike for commuting. I go into the office 3 days a week and at 34 miles one way, changing from my motorcycle to a bike, even a fast eBike would triple my commute time.

If I lived 15 miles or less from the office I would be all over this.

May I ask what sort of medical emergency you had?

When I was 34 my Aorta dissected and I landed in the ICU for a few weeks. Initial symptoms were similar to a heart attack, but it took a CT to show my heart was fine and my pipes were not. That was almost 11 years ago now.

Trogster

Quote from: klurejr on May 26, 2023, 01:00:44 PM
That is awesome, I would love to be able to reduce down to a bike for commuting. I go into the office 3 days a week and at 34 miles one way, changing from my motorcycle to a bike, even a fast eBike would triple my commute time.

If I lived 15 miles or less from the office I would be all over this.

May I ask what sort of medical emergency you had?

When I was 34 my Aorta dissected and I landed in the ICU for a few weeks. Initial symptoms were similar to a heart attack, but it took a CT to show my heart was fine and my pipes were not. That was almost 11 years ago now.

In my case, I passed out behind the wheel of my car.  I was driving home and was feeling light-headed.  I managed to pull over to the side of the road, but passed out and ran into a telephone pole before getting the car into park.

The hospital ran a battery of tests including XRays, CT Scans, echocardiograms, stress tests, and dozens of blood tests.

Everything came back normal.  I then spent a month with an endocrinologist checking my blood sugar levels.  Again, perfectly normal.

So I did my own research and concluded I was suffering from vasovagal syncope.  Basically, a nervous system disorder where the heart doesn't get a signal to speed up and work harder.  It was most noticeable after a meal (post prandial hypotension), where the blood pressure falls after a meal.... especially if I consumed rapidly digestible carbs.

So I cut down portions, stayed hydrated, cut down on carbs, and did more exercise.

It took 12-months, but I'm 90% of the way to full recovery.

Glad to hear you survived your aortal issue....most don't.

klurejr

Thanks for sharing your story and yes I know just how fortunate I am to have survived that ordeal.

kojack

My wife and I are doing the less car moving forward. We are getting two e bikes and using them whenever possible. Save gas, have fun and get healthy. Great plan imo.