News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

First ride of the year battery dead

Started by lowspark1974, May 15, 2023, 07:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

lowspark1974

Brought my battery in last Winter had a sitting in a nice warm spot. Then make sure it was all charged up before I took my 1st ride of the year and now the bike won't register the. Battery and I get this when it's charging. Please see attached photo any help would be nice and I only see this when I hold down the little white button off to the charging scale on the battery. Looking. At? The battery the way the photos. Taken? It's 3 green lights and one red light.

handlebar

It looks as if you're not getting electrical continuity between the battery and the bike. Maybe a little corrosion over the winter.

lowspark1974

So do all those lights look correct?

handlebar

Quote from: lowspark1974 on May 15, 2023, 10:56:24 AM
So do all those lights look correct?

Yes. That's why I think the problem is not in the battery. It happened to me when I forgot to turn the key on.

lowspark1974

I'm thinking of a little scrub with a wire brush on the battery and bike maybe?

handlebar

Quote from: lowspark1974 on May 15, 2023, 12:54:12 PM
I'm thinking of a little scrub with a wire brush on the battery and bike maybe?

I agree.

snowshovel

This happened to me last year, and the problem was that my fuse went out.   I got replacement fuses on amazon. 

Something to look out for is the first time I ordered fuses on amazon for this, the rating stamped on them was not correct, and the fuse blew immediately.  I returned them and got replacements from a different amazon reseller.

John Rose

(For the RadExpand 5) The discharge fuse is the 40A one (orange?), the charging fuse is 5A (brown? - 10A for a RadTrike). You probably need to replace the 40A one since it appears to be charged up. Pull it and see if the little bridging strip between the terminal blades has a gap or is blackened.

You should be able to pick these up at a hardware store, or even a gas station, especially the kind that cater to long-haul truckers.

Oh, hey, Rad gives us a fuse replacement guide, with animated GIFs, Lawyerese warnings, and everything:
https://support.radpowerbikes.com/Batteries_and_charging/Battery_troubleshooting/Battery_fuse_replacement_guide
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5