News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad City power issue

Started by mbates50, May 07, 2023, 12:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

mbates50

My wife has the Rad City 5, probably 2 years old, with a Bolton controller. All has worked well until recently.
Occasionally, she will have no pas or throttle power for a second or two, then all is well. I can?t get Rad help due to the controller.
So could it be that the battery is beginning to fail, or the Bolton controller is the issue?
Any ideas would be appreciated!

santacruzpaul

Quote from: mbates50 on May 07, 2023, 12:46:16 PM
My wife has the Rad City 5, probably 2 years old, with a Bolton controller. All has worked well until recently.
Occasionally, she will have no pas or throttle power for a second or two, then all is well. I can?t get Rad help due to the controller.
So could it be that the battery is beginning to fail, or the Bolton controller is the issue?

I have had a similar problem with my 2 year old Radrover 5, (all stock) Mine would give me the exact same response as applying the brakes, To resume all I had to do is touch the brakes and all was good, After a year Rad customer support and myself figured out it was faulty sensors in the brake cables assembly,  To troubleshoot the problem my technique was to disconnect the brake sensor safety  both front and rear for a while, Sure enough, found out  the brake sensors to be the culprit.
Hope this helps, Paul

mbates50

Quote from: santacruzpaul on May 07, 2023, 03:28:11 PM

I have had a similar problem with my 2 year old Radrover 5, (all stock) Mine would give me the exact same response as applying the brakes, To resume all I had to do is touch the brakes and all was good, After a year Rad customer support and myself figured out it was faulty sensors in the brake cables assembly,  To troubleshoot the problem my technique was to disconnect the brake sensor safety  both front and rear for a while, Sure enough, found out  the brake sensors to be the culprit.
Hope this helps, Paul

so what did you do, replace the sensors?

santacruzpaul

Quote from: mbates50 on May 08, 2023, 09:08:16 PM
Quote from: santacruzpaul on May 07, 2023, 03:28:11 PM

Hope this helps, Paul

so what did you do, replace the sensors?

Rad sent me new brake levers to replace stock ones, It did Not fix the problem, Rad told me that the whole batch of brake levers had some issues, Yes, even some of the replacements. So, I am living with the problem since I am now out of warranty, And the fact that Rads customer support has not been up to par lately, My intermittent problem only happens about once per ride with the replacement levers, So I have been living  with it.

handlebar

When it happened to me, the problem was a tiny bit of moisture in the 35 A controller from Bolton. It would happen in the first mile of riding with very little power assistance. I opened it up and dried with with a hair dryer. Later, the problem recurred. When I dried it, I sealed it with RTV. There was no more trouble.