News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Concern about Handlebar stem

Started by Liz, April 20, 2023, 08:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Liz

Hi everyone,

I am happy to find this community. I just purchased my first Rad yesterday. I have been researching ebikes for quite some time and finally settled on the Radexpand5. I got on Youtube to watch some videos on assembly and unfortunately came across several videos that were make to warn riders about the handlebars coming loose when riding. I did some more searching and found some posts about it here as well. I wish that I would have known about these issues before buying but this is the bike that I really did want.

I wondering if others are experiencing this issue and what fixes you have found to work. I did read about replacing the one main screw with a better one, or even purchasing a new stem, I think that is what it was called. While excited to get my bike and start riding, I am now feeling nervous about riding and wrecking if the handlebars come loose.

I am not very mechanically savvy but I do have a couple of friends who are so if I know what I need to do, I can have them help me. I am excited to join this RAD community. I was recently in St. Pete and visited the RAD store and rode with my friends everyday that I was there. Two friends here in State College, PA also have RADS that they love so we are excited to be able to ride soon.

Also, what locks do you recommend? I don't plan to leave my bike much but I want to make sure if I do, it will be well secured. This is my first real investment in a bike and I have much to learn. Thanks so much to anyone who is able to provide guidance. I'm excited to meet RAD friends who are out there!

Have a blessed day,

Liz

SemperVee

I had same concern and once I familiarized myself with how it should feel tight and how it worked there were no more issues.  I believe there is a video online I believe from RAD explaining how you can learn to adjust it and make sure it is tight.

Liz

Thanks for your reply. I know that I am just nervous about it now that I saw that online. After riding my friends rad, I know safety is important. I did find the video and will follow it. Also, do you know if they provide the torque wrench or if you have to buy one? If so, where did you find yours? I've never used one. Thanks.

Liz

radex5owner

Hi Liz, I've had my Radex5 for a year now and I've never had any problems with it. I'd take it to a bike shop just to make sure all nuts and bolts are tight. I'm a city rider and love it and I put some suggestions on this group feed on modification  I've had done,
I recommend the ABUS folding up lock and I'm actually looking into the new RAD frame installed lock for wide tires as added protection.
Good luck and happy riding. 

SemperVee

Quote from: radex5owner on April 21, 2023, 12:09:15 PM
Hi Liz, I've had my Radex5 for a year now and I've never had any problems with it. I'd take it to a bike shop just to make sure all nuts and bolts are tight. I'm a city rider and love it and I put some suggestions on this group feed on modification  I've had done,
I recommend the ABUS folding up lock and I'm actually looking into the new RAD frame installed lock for wide tires as added protection.
Good luck and happy riding.

Harbor freight has a inexpensive torgue wrench that should suit you.

Ishy

I understand your concern.  On one of my first rides out I braked hard and those handlebars rotated forward on me.

Got off. Grabbed my Allen key repositioned the handlebars.  And tightened them screws as hard as I could.

Not even a wiggle since.

I'm not super strong but I definitely put allot of foce behind tightening them.  Slight bend on Allen key too

When tightening try a Cris crass pattern.   Top left bottom right to help preventbovertightening one side more then the other.

Good luck!   And don't fret you can do it yourself!   Just GET a Proper pedal wrench and tighten them properly.  That was my only other diy fail point.

If you want to be sure.   Try sitting on the bike and forcing those handlebars forward.   If your still not sure ask someone stronger to try.     . Other idea is Loctite the stuff for screws. Now I'm getting ideas for other movey but don't want moviey things. Namely my phone holders and front basket.

rfv

Did Rad make any modifications to the Rad Expand 5 to "fix" this? I have seen the bulletin on how to properly torque the stem bolt, but as they quote a range of serial numbers that are affected (sort of if your serial number is x you may have this issue) I assume that not all Expands have the issue? I read somewhere that the collar is now a metal one instead of the black plastic (but presumably metal inside). Can any brand new Expand owners confirm? Is there still only one bolt securing the collar?

Rad bulletin: https://support.radpowerbikes.com/hc/en-us/articles/5898946735899-RadExpand-5-testing-and-securing-stem-handlebar-components

I was at a RadRetail store this week and I asked about this issue, but nobody seemed to know about it.

Thanks!