News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radwagon 4 motorcycle tire tube? (Recall tire failed)

Started by Generalcorrosion, April 15, 2023, 07:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Generalcorrosion

Well, finally got my recall tires on my Radwagon 4 (installed by rad), and within 15 miles of riding the tire became un beaded in a 3 inch section and the tube blew. Not sure if this was an install error, or the recall tires are still crap.

So I am concerned that this problem will just persist and I am going to go ahead and do a motorcycle conversion.

For the tube have people been using a motorcycle tube with treaded stem? I am having a hard time finding a 2.75-18 tr-13 (rubber stem).

Thanks!

jskingry

It's real easy to have a small pinch on the tube if not seated properly when inflating.  This would be a ticking time bomb, if it doesn't budge and blow when inflating.

j.rohlfs@comcast.net

Quote from: Generalcorrosion on April 15, 2023, 07:55:04 AM
Well, finally got my recall tires on my Radwagon 4 (installed by rad), and within 15 miles of riding the tire became un beaded in a 3 inch section and the tube blew. Not sure if this was an install error, or the recall tires are still crap.

So I am concerned that this problem will just persist and I am going to go ahead and do a motorcycle conversion.

For the tube have people been using a motorcycle tube with treaded stem? I am having a hard time finding a 2.75-18 tr-13 (rubber stem).

Thanks!

j.rohlfs@comcast.net

Major mft. Defect issues with factory RadWagon 4 tires.  I?ve had (3) sidewall blowouts.  Don?t listen to their Technical Bulletin spin!  I had sidewall bead blowout @ 750 miles on first tire, the other two had consecutive blowouts back-to-back on short 20 mile ride.

Regardless of tire (smooth sidewall vs nursed sidewall),  they both have blowout issues.

Factory claims 45-60 PSI inflation, I keep mine @ 45 and it?s to much for this POS factory tire.

Rad Power had exclusive agreement with Vee Tire Co. (Atlanta, GA I think is their location).   VEE would not sell direct to Rad Power owner?s.  Been a very frustrating e-bike to date.  Mine has been sidelined for 7 months while Rad gets their act together, continually pushing out my corrective action date.

Finally source a replacement tire, VEE Tire Co. has their ?Vee Tire Speedster 22? X 3? Wire Performance E-Bike Tire that is the fix.  $80 @ BicycleBuys.com or $90 on Amazon.

Great tire & better tread pattern.

Toss the POS factory rubber rim liner & pay the $10 to get 22mm Velox Cloth Rim Liner.

A true fix from a disappointed customer.

I?ve since bought two other (non-Rad) e-bikes because of these nagging & lingering issues.  RIZE RX (the porche of e-bikes) & Fuell S2 (longest 250 mile rsnge 7 speed automatic e-bike in market).

Rad needs to step up!

ejonesss

1. i had a blowout at about 1500 miles on the first replacement tire.

when i got the bike the original tire lasted about 1500 miles and then the sidewall was ripping so i replaced the tire.

the replacement tire lasted about 1400 miles and the same thing started happening so i ordered the replacement tire and before the new tire came in it blew.

fortunately it was the rear tire and i was going slow as i was going up a hill.

i just ordered the motorcycle tire by shinko because this time the front tire is showing the red/green wear indicator  so this will be. a test of of shinko tires would work.

over the 3 years i had the bike i put almost 7500 miles on it doing yard sales and scrap metal recycling .

i have heard on a youtube video that Shinko  SR241 18x2.75 works

so if it works for me then when i need to replace the rear tire i will look to get the 3 inch version of the Shinko  SR241 18 inch tire.

as of your blowout within 15 minutes it probably was install error whenever re inflating a tire i always inspect the bead all around on both sides while inflating and if the bead comes off then deflate and re seat the tire.

also deflating and squeezing the tire and re inflating helps get the tube to settle in place