News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

750w Peak Power?

Started by DR-Montreal, March 24, 2023, 01:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

DR-Montreal

I've had the RadCity 5 + for awhile now and am very much pleased with it; however one thing I am curious about is this stated "750w peak" output on the motor. I've gone up some very steep hills in 1st gear, with a fully charged, down to half charged battery, and the indicator never indicates anything more than 500w output.

I'd like to understand why.

Eric7

Did you crank the throttle all the way? My Rad Mini ST2 shows 750w all the time if I crank the throttle all the way.

DR-Montreal

Hi thanks for that. No I didn't crank the throttle at all as I assumed that at PAS 5 the motor would peak to assist. I'l try it tomorrow.

DR-Montreal

Update for those interested in Canada. Here is RAD's answer to my same question given here:

"It is limited by law to 500 watts for an ebike in Canada. It is electrically/programmatically limited by law, the system will not provide more than what is allowed. I apologize for the confusion."

Of course I would like to know if there is an over-ride for this limit...

I imagine you probably have to get a US controller set for 750w (peak). Is this the case and can one get hold of one of these somehow here in Canada?

inoxa

you can find them sometimes on ebay.  Try Area 13 for an upgraded controller.  I think they have it now for your model.  I know at least one company is selling the upgrade, but I don't recall which has it. 

DR-Montreal

Thanks for that. It's too bad the controller is such a pain to replace given its location.

Eric7

I don?t know how things work with a bike designed for the Canadian market.  This is a summary of my impression from reading a lot of posts.

From my reading, for smoothness, quietness, range and long term battery life, your interest and Rad?s interest align. After all, Rad wants to squeeze every mile out of the battery too for advertising purposes. And Rad don?t want to replace batteries during the warranty period. For this, a Rad controller is the best. Once again, I don?t know if it works with a Canadian bike. Then there is the warranty issue, if you buy a controller from a U.S. friend, you may have to get service from the U.S. friend too. It is unlikely Rad would send a replacement for a bad controller to Canada.

For power, responsiveness, an aftermarket controller is better.  I might get one.

I don?t think you can get more power, longer range, and longer long term battery life all at the same time.

DR-Montreal

Eric,

Thanks for that and I think you are quite right. I am just checking out options for now. When the warranty runs out on this RC5+ in August I will start seriously considering changing a few things--the controller to finally get that "750w peak" motor happening perhaps, and certainly the tires when the stock tires get seriously worn. I'm getting great mileage on them for sure but they are distinctly iffy on anything other than concrete or asphalt. While they will ride over grass or gravel well enough you can feel that any serious banking the bike is asking for trouble. I would even be concerned about hydro-planing on these in major wet conditions. I'll take a hit on mileage to get a tread that has really increased grip.

Naranja_CT5+

As a new owner who has not received his eBike yet. Merci

I was also wondering if the US has a different motor than the Canadian version. I am glad that it is capable of upgrading to higher wattage.

After the warranty period is over. I will order one from the US and have it shipped to a mail drop off service like http://247parcel.com/

In Canada it's called eh_Bike

inoxa

Quote from: DR-Montreal on March 27, 2023, 08:50:54 AM
Eric,

Thanks for that and I think you are quite right. I am just checking out options for now. When the warranty runs out on this RC5+ in August I will start seriously considering changing a few things--the controller to finally get that "750w peak" motor happening perhaps, and certainly the tires when the stock tires get seriously worn. I'm getting great mileage on them for sure but they are distinctly iffy on anything other than concrete or asphalt. While they will ride over grass or gravel well enough you can feel that any serious banking the bike is asking for trouble. I would even be concerned about hydro-planing on these in major wet conditions. I'll take a hit on mileage to get a tread that has really increased grip.

On my Rover 5 I got 5000 miles on the front tire.  The rear I swapped out early because of I big hole in it.  For me the rear does wear faster.  I put in a Tannis liner in the rear tire because it is a pain in the butt to take the rear wheel off.  The liner is to help with punctures.  The first rear tire I must have had 4 flats the first year  Once I replace the tire and added the liner I never had a flat again.  It also adds slight comfort to the ride.  I have never had a front wheel flat. 

Good luck with your tires.   

justsomedork

I don't see the controller on the US Rad website for ordering so getting your hands on one and using shipping service may not work out, might be easier to find one on Ebay.

Otherwise I just suggest getting the controller upgrade from elektrobikeworld or Area13, just make sure it says the model is compatible because controllers for certain models are just being released now.

Honestly the 500w is okay, but I feel it can make it dangerous to be in the flow of traffic or trying to cross streets when you need that extra torque from a dead stop, hill climbing is okay so far but a boost would be nice.

So very unfortunate about Canadian nanny laws.