Author Topic: Rear rack alternative?  (Read 2261 times)

Flo_150210

• View Profile
Rear rack alternative?
« on: October 18, 2022, 10:47:11 AM »
Hello all,

The rear rack for the Rover 6 plus has been out of stock for ages. Do you know any good alternatives? I found out the Iberia one, but apparently it does not feed the Rover 6 plus because of the thick tires.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you and have a great day.

sfcarover

• View Profile
Re: Rear rack alternative?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »
Following.....

ykanti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 12:12:15 PM »
Great question!  I had one in my cart (with my new RR6+ST) a couple of days ago.  Guess I waited too long to check out and when I went to the next step, alas, it was out of stock.  So I opted for the front rack which I don't love but will live with for a small carrying capability.  Hopefully someone knows of a rear rack that works well from another vendor.

Flo_150210

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 12:30:43 PM »
Front racks are nice.  But I use my bike for grocery shopping, I am a teacher so I have textbooks to carry.. That's why I need a rear rack that can handle a decent weight. Any suggestion is welcome!

crorris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 01:11:30 PM »
I had this rack on my Rover 5. It's extremely adjustable to fit a lot of different bikes. I was able to adjust it to use the standard Rad mounting holes. It is very sturdy. The only reason that I replaced it was because I added the Rad large basket and the standard Rad had the specific mounting holes already for that. The Rad rear rack for the Rover 5 and Rover 6 are the same. Not sure if this one will fit the RR 6+ or not. One difference with this rack is that it also attaches to the seat post. That means that the seat post needs to be raised up about an inch to inch and a half from it's lowest level. If your someone who needs the seat down as low as it can go, it might not work. If you're in the US, it is on Amazon Prime with free shipping and free returns.

https://amzn.to/3Tzs9Nx

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 02:40:17 PM by Ryan »

Flo_150210

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 06:36:14 PM »
Looks great and sturdy, but it apparently does not fit flat tires bikes.

But thanks!

rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 09:16:46 AM »
The Ibera rack IB-RA5 will fit on the 6+ but you have to order the right one. You need to order the one that fits a bike with disc brakes. Also the 2 front mounting rods need to be lengthened so if you don't have a shop that can do that for you or you have no way to do that, it's not a rack for you.  The rods that come with the rack are 9" long,  Ibera sells longer rods that are 11" long, but that's not long enough to make the rack sit level on the 6+ST bike. I'll get a measurement of the length needed and post it here later.  14.5" length for front mounting rods for 6+ST I don't know if it's the same for the 6+ high bar. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 05:43:00 PM by rjp »

Flo_150210

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »
Thanks for the update.

I think this
https://amzn.to/3Sc2Dgd
might work. I am still waiting on a definite answer but many comments approve it for fat tires bikes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 02:40:38 PM by Ryan »

crorris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 11:22:50 AM »
The one that I posted before does work with fat tire bikes. My Rad Rover 5 that I had it on is a fat tire bike. It says in the Product Details that it fits fat tire bikes.

Flo_150210

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 12:15:06 PM »
One of the comments states that it was difficult to install on the Rad Rover 5, and the guy hat to modify a few things to make it work.

leeram

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 07:06:58 AM »
We have RadRover 6+ Step Thrus and the Ibera PakRak Touring Carrier Plus+ (IB-RA5) worked (along with their top-mounted bike bags) IF you also order the longer extension rods. They have a good deal on the bag/rack combo and the extension rods were only about $10 each. You can get them at https://ibera.info.

The racks are ALMOST level with the ground -- the if the extension rods were 1/2 inch longer, I think it could be made perfectly level. But the slight decline towards the seat is hardly noticeable.

Hads

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 01:41:22 PM »
We have RadRover 6+ Step Thrus and the Ibera PakRak Touring Carrier Plus+ (IB-RA5) worked (along with their top-mounted bike bags) IF you also order the longer extension rods. They have a good deal on the bag/rack combo and the extension rods were only about $10 each. You can get them at https://ibera.info.

The racks are ALMOST level with the ground -- the if the extension rods were 1/2 inch longer, I think it could be made perfectly level. But the slight decline towards the seat is hardly noticeable.

I'm sorry, but even with the longer 11" rods, the rack isn't even close to level on a Rad Rover 6+.  Do NOT get the Ibera PakRak unless you want to fabricate your own solution for the extension rods.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 01:41:22 PM »