Author Topic: replacing stolen Rad Mini ST  (Read 2462 times)

rfv

• View Profile
replacing stolen Rad Mini ST
« on: March 11, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »
My 2021 white Rad Mini ST was stolen this week in the CA Bay Area (tip: cable locks are not very secure!) and I'm looking at the Rad Expand as as replacement. Ideally I want a foldable bike, but that's not a deal-breaker. The Expand seems to be a slimmed-down Mini -- dumb controller display, no suspension fork, 4 levels of PAS instead of 5... and more expensive! Sure, you can "upgrade" to the old LCD display for an extra $99.

Has anyone on the forum migrated Mini-->Expand, and what's your experience/recommendations?

Thanks.

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: replacing stolen Rad Mini ST
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 10:01:40 AM »
My sympathies; I also have, and treasure, a white 2021 MiniST2 and would be sorely pissed-off.  I live in a nearly crime-free rural town but still have an ABUS Granit U-lock, beefy cable and an ABUS folding lock for quick lockups.  Since the photo below was taken, I've also worked out a way to keep the battery in place since all these batteries can be unlocked and stolen with a $7 blank Honda motorcycle key from eBay (don't get me started on that particular design idiocy).

Sorry I can't comment on the Expand, having never tried one, but on paper IMHO it's a disappointing, de-featured "replacement" for the Minis.  But whatever you get to replace yours, may I recommend you register it here, just in case it's found and somebody bothers to check on it:  https://bikeindex.org

If you have any photos of your stolen bike and its serial/frame number, it's not too late to create a page there for it as well - maybe you'll catch a break.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:07:38 AM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

rfv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 02:45:32 PM »
Hi JimInPT:

Thanks for the info. Yes, I reported the bike stolen on bikeindex.org with pic, serial number etc. I'm not hopeful, but breaks sometimes happen.

A $7 Honda blank protecting a $500 battery?? C'mon Rad! And while at it, how about a smaller battery (lighter and easier to pop out and carry off when parking)? Perhaps a carrier casing that houses two "half" sized batteries, insert 1 or two for 20 or 40 miles range.

I've also upped my game with U locks (ABUS Granit and Kryptonite NY LS). What is considered a beefy cable? I see 10mm cables abound, but I read they are very easily cut with simple tools.

Thanks.

inoxa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 10:08:17 AM »
I would stay away from the expand.  They have been prone to wiring failures.  Probably from the multiple folding of the bike and wires.  They are still very heavy and bulky.  Is your reason for wanting it to transport it easier or storing it? 
Good Luck
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 04:17:07 AM by inoxa »

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 10:18:24 AM »
A $7 Honda blank protecting a $500 battery?? C'mon Rad!

I've also upped my game with U locks (ABUS Granit and Kryptonite NY LS). What is considered a beefy cable? I see 10mm cables abound, but I read they are very easily cut with simple tools.

Thanks.

I guess that's you on BikeIndex in Cupertino.  I fled Mountain View in '95 after 17 years, so know the area well.  It's a different world down there now.

Yep, it's this key blank:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/124705979958  I only carry this blank on my keyrings now; it's simpler and I use it all the time to prove what I'm saying to other Rad owners I run across, by unlocking their batteries.  Truly stupid design flaw that Rad has known about for years but AFAIK has never acknowledged it or offered any plan to remedy it.  With all the batts they've shipped with the flaw, I can see why.  I believe the newer semi-integrated batteries don't have this flaw, but they have a better one - they're trivially-easy to short out and blow up when using their key absentmindedly.  Oops, there goes $700.

My cable is also from ABUS and is this one: https://amzn.to/3ZTK9Ws  It won't stop a determined thief, but at almost 1/2" thick it will slow them down and hopefully encourage them to move along.  I use it only for trees, lightposts etc where the U-lock or folder can't reach.  I secure it with the U-lock, which is also rigged to lock a wheel to the frame - more deterrance.  Attaching locks/cables as high off the ground as possible is a good idea, to keep them away from a solid surface to lever against.

All this being said, I truly love my MiniST2 but have added battery-removal security (a small u-lock as shown in the pic below) and a hidden alarm as well, just in case.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:12:34 PM by Ryan »

rfv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 01:35:27 PM »
I would stay away from the expand.  They have been prone to wiring failures.  Probably from the multiple folding of the bike and wires.  They are still very heavy and bulky.  Is your reason for waning it to transport it easier or storing it? 
Good Luck

The reason for a folding bike is for easier transport. We have another Rad Mini and had ideas of folding them, and transporting in the back of the SUV. There are probably other ways to transport the bike, racks etc. but I haven't explored them yet.

Thanks.

rfv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 01:49:31 PM »
A $7 Honda blank protecting a $500 battery?? C'mon Rad!

Thanks.

I guess that's you on BikeIndex in Cupertino.  I fled Mountain View in '95 after 17 years, so know the area well.  It's a different world down there now.

Yep, it's this key blank:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/124705979958  I only carry this blank on my keyrings now; it's simpler and I use it all the time to prove what I'm saying to other Rad owners I run across, by unlocking their batteries.  Truly stupid design flaw that Rad has known about for years but AFAIK has never acknowledged it or offered any plan to remedy it.  With all the batts they've shipped with the flaw, I can see why.  I believe the newer semi-integrated batteries don't have this flaw, but they have a better one - they're trivially-easy to short out and blow up when using their key absentmindedly.  Oops, there goes $700.

My cable is also from ABUS and is this one: https://amzn.to/3ZTK9Ws  It won't stop a determined thief, but at almost 1/2" thick it will slow them down and hopefully encourage them to move along.  I use it only for trees, lightposts etc where the U-lock or folder can't reach.  I secure it with the U-lock, which is also rigged to lock a wheel to the frame - more deterrance.  Attaching locks/cables as high off the ground as possible is a good idea, to keep them away from a solid surface to lever against.

All this being said, I truly love my MiniST2 but have added battery-removal security (a small u-lock as shown in the pic below) and a hidden alarm as well, just in case.

Thanks for the pointers, JimInPT. Yes, Cupertino. MTV is a lot better since they redeveloped Castro St., you might like it!

That battery U-lock arrangement looks like the ticket. Removing and carrying the battery around is a bit of a hardship. Hence my thinking a smaller, lighter alternate battery might be helpful.

As for the battery key design flaw, I don't see RAD needing to retrofit all the batteries they've shipped, but rather fix it for all new shipments. Best time to plant a tree? -- 20 years ago. Next best time? -- Today!

Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:12:50 PM by Ryan »

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 03:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the pointers, JimInPT. Yes, Cupertino. MTV is a lot better since they redeveloped Castro St., you might like it!

This is a real long shot, but I have to ask - is Sono Sushi still there on Castro?  Left a lot of money there plucking trays off the boats as they floated by my barstool, but probably the wrong business model for a much-wealthier town.  I assume the 'R' Club is long gone - that was from a hundred years ago when seedy shuffleboard dive bars still existed on Castro next to the railroad tracks.  Looks like I'm too lazy to hop onto Google Earth to find out for myself.  I can only imagine what a remodded Castro must be like after a couple of decades and hundreds of billions of dollars rolling into town - yikes!

Had some great times in MV, but found that bald eagles make quieter neighbors...... lol.  It sure would be cool if your Mini turns up.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:45:12 PM by JimInPT »

rfv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 01:53:42 PM »

This is a real long shot, but I have to ask - is Sono Sushi still there on Castro?  Left a lot of money there plucking trays off the boats as they floated by my barstool, but probably the wrong business model for a much-wealthier town.  I assume the 'R' Club is long gone - that was from a hundred years ago when seedy shuffleboard dive bars still existed on Castro next to the railroad tracks.  Looks like I'm too lazy to hop onto Google Earth to find out for myself.  I can only imagine what a remodded Castro must be like after a couple of decades and hundreds of billions of dollars rolling into town - yikes!

Had some great times in MV, but found that bald eagles make quieter neighbors...... lol.  It sure would be cool if your Mini turns up.

Cheers.

Hi JimInPT:

I'm guessing bald eagles means NorCal.

I haven't been to Castro St. for a while, but google/yelp says Sono Sushi has closed permanently. I used to work in MTV (late 80's early 90's) and The St. James Infirmary was the local watering hole. Pre-redevelopment days!

Regards.

radex5owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 09:57:39 AM »
I'm going to support getting a rad expand 5, but with modifications. I agree with JimPT that you need the beefy locks, but my expand 5 is great for my needs of city driving and commute. I think the other bikes in this class are even more cheaply made.
Here are the modifications: 1) I love gears and upgraded the derailleur and shifter. 2) the wider tires are enough of a cushion for me and street riding (I'm not using off roads). I don't fold it up and have never had any electrical problems 3) upgrade the odometer to Rad upgrade that keeps track of the miles as well as speed I travel.  4) Find it on one of Rads sales $1500 seems right for todays.

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
Re: replacing stolen Rad Mini ST - "using their key absent-mindedly"?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 09:00:08 PM »
...  I believe the newer semi-integrated batteries don't have this flaw, but they have a better one - they're trivially-easy to short out and blow up when using their key absentmindedly.  Oops, there goes $700. ...
:o Wait . . . what?
What constitutes "using their key absent-mindedly"?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: replacing stolen Rad Mini ST - "using their key absent-mindedly"?
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 03:27:55 PM »
:o Wait . . . what?
What constitutes "using their key absent-mindedly"?

In the cases I've run across, mostly here on this forum, people have inserted the tip of the key into the battery-charging input port instead of the keyway, since they're on the same side and I suppose relatively close to each other (?) - not sure about the latter, don't have one to look at in person. 

Instantly, the key shorts out positive to negative in the battery, a spark or twenty ensue and the internal fuse (at a minimum) blows, rendering the battery 4-paws-up.  At that point, the fuse changeout varies from one internal design to another but a big hassle at a minimum.

I don't know how one would stick the key into the charging port if the protective weather cover is in place - maybe they get loose, pop out, or fall off.  Also, since the key no longer provides a useful service like disconnecting battery power from the bike, I'm not sure why one would even need the key to ride (or steal) the bike unless installing or removing the battery itself.

As a recovering mechanical engineer, I consider this the user's fault with a heavy contributing percentage the fault of idiot designers for even making such an egregious error possible from simple absentmindedness.

So, be careful out there if you have one of the new semi-submerged battery designs on your bike.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 08:24:36 AM »

As I value my 21 Mini also with a ton of extras blood sweat and tears upon it -  I have also hidden an Apple Air Tag on it!!  Just in case I need to track it.

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 05:02:42 PM »
We've got one of each now. I chose the RE-5 because we wanted both bikes to be folding models, and they could share batteries and chargers.
I miss the MiniST2's front suspension (a bit), but I think I like the BMX-style handlebars on the RadExpand 5 better.
The LED display is a bit distracting because it looks like fault lights in a car dashboard.
I'm guessing bald eagles means NorCal.
FWIW, we get lots of Bald Eagles here in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 01:08:29 PM »
... The Expand seems to be a slimmed-down Mini -- dumb controller display, no suspension fork, 4 levels of PAS instead of 5... and more expensive! Sure, you can "upgrade" to the old LCD display for an extra $99.
I'm saving up my pennies for the LCD display for my RadExpand 5. I got curious about one thing though, and asked an RadPower online Chat rep whether the LCD display upgrade would give me access to 5 levels of PAS, instead of 4.
After long pause, I got the reply that no, it does not.
A phone app will give me speed and trip distance, but even so, I'd like to get it for the odometer (for scheduling periodic maintenance) and the watt-meter display.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 01:08:29 PM »