Author Topic: RAD 6 semi integrated battery woes  (Read 1350 times)

Dp135

• View Profile
RAD 6 semi integrated battery woes
« on: March 08, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
Hi all,
I bought my son a bike last summer.
Battery #1 frozen at half way, charger light stays green - bike will not start. Press and all lights flash and then it converts to line 1 and 4 lit.
Replacement Battery - will not do a thing. PRESS and it does not flash all lights and blink as above.
I read about the fuse, I would have tried that but new batteries do not have the red 10A fuse from what I have read when the serial is CAP vs BDLGRADE. Both batteries are CAP.
So there is no easy 10A fuse anymore to my understanding. They are sending another. My concern is they said this to me:

"Unfortunately we have noticed a higher failure rate in new batteries recently so it is most likely a better issue still.. We had the newest battery processed your way yesterday go through a double check and make sure it should solve your problem. "

That is kind of upsetting. They know it and what will be done about it? What about people not under warranty??? I do not know when the "new" types rolled out. But geez. Maybe they will start doing recalls if this is a big issue. I mean these batteries are very expensive.

Right now it is under warranty - I dread the year being up. It is like what is going to break next? We have had brake issues and now battery issues, cheap plastic that snaps on to the handle bar - Props that they sent a new piece but why? Just make things better. This is not a 100.00 bike. Take off the bell that sounds like a toddler's tricycle and put it towards fixing almost anything ;=) What were they thinking with that bell? $2000.00 - I had hoped for a more robust product.

Any suggestions on my missing anything? Thank you, this forum has been a great read. I ordered some brake pads based on info.

Dorothy

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: RAD 6 semi integrated battery woes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 02:49:50 PM »
Hey Dorothy - welcome!

I can't offer any semi-integrated battery wisdom (I have a 2-yo MiniST2 with the older battery design), but I agree about that little bell thingy.  However, I didn't replace it, I supplemented it.  The quiet little bell is actually ideal for a discreet non-scary alert on a quiet woods trail, otherwise useless.

For louder beach trails and most streets, I added another bell very similar to this one next to it: https://amzn.to/3TlMUxv  - it's a very well-made and loud mechanical dinger.

For cutting through a rolled-up car window, I also added this:  https://amzn.to/3yJm74G  - incredibly annoyingly loud and lasts months on a charge unless you find need to use it all the time.

So yes, I have three things to reach for, but it's nice to have options.  If you consider something similar, be sure to check your handlebar for mounting space - Rad bars vary and some have a very short straight section next to the grips.  My pic below illustrates the two new bell controls just to the right of the Rad control buttons; it's tight but it works and requires minimal hand movement to hit any of the three.  The electrical bell has a very small remote button with a pigtail connected to the main noisemaker, so it's pretty easy to find room.

Hope you get some comforting battery feedback; we have a number of batt experts here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:14:59 PM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Dp135

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 02:04:07 PM »
Hey Dorothy - welcome!

I can't offer any semi-integrated battery wisdom (I have a 2-yo MiniST2 with the older battery design), but I agree about that little bell thingy.  However, I didn't replace it, I supplemented it.  The quiet little bell is actually ideal for a discreet non-scary alert on a quiet woods trail, otherwise useless.

For louder beach trails and most streets, I added another bell very similar to this one next to it: https://amzn.to/3TlMUxv  - it's a very well-made and loud mechanical dinger.

For cutting through a rolled-up car window, I also added this:  https://amzn.to/3yJm74G  - incredibly annoyingly loud and lasts months on a charge unless you find need to use it all the time.

So yes, I have three things to reach for, but it's nice to have options.  If you consider something similar, be sure to check your handlebar for mounting space - Rad bars vary and some have a very short straight section next to the grips.  My pic below illustrates the two new bell controls just to the right of the Rad control buttons; it's tight but it works and requires minimal hand movement to hit any of the three.  The electrical bell has a very small remote button with a pigtail connected to the main noisemaker, so it's pretty easy to find room.

Hope you get some comforting battery feedback; we have a number of batt experts here.

Thank you. Good info on the bell! So RAD sent another battery with the BLD in the serial vs the CAP. The CAP seem to be the failures. So at least that works. When that bike started up, I danced a happy dance. The brakes need to be replaced front and rear ( they sent that ) and the rear rotor has all 6 bolts missing. So that needs replacement too. This bike is disassembling itself bolt and parts. They do not seem to want to send that for free under warranty. 42.00 with shipping seems a bit rich. I am awaiting an answer on that.

I see the Textro 180-24 with 6 bolts on Amazon for less and with next day delivery. I'm not sure if I should grab them and take them to the shop along with the front and rear hydraulic brakes. I'll look for a section here where this might be discussed. I see numbers stamped on the pictures and am not sure how significant Q and 9G on the pic from RAD is vs what I see online. I guess I could contact textro. Thank you again!
Dorothy

inoxa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 11:21:18 AM »
I would say if Rad wants to charge for something like that, but aftermarket.
Aftermarket will probably be better quality anyway.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 11:21:18 AM »