Author Topic: How much can I raise my handlebar?  (Read 1358 times)

Traildad

• View Profile
How much can I raise my handlebar?
« on: March 04, 2023, 03:19:44 PM »
I got a riser for my handlebar but I?m concerned about my cables and hydraulic lines being too tight. As I turn to the right the lines tighten up. It?s hard to tell if there is too much stress on them. I know I won?t turn the wheel 90 degrees while riding but could when handling the bike at other times. How can I tell if they are being stretched too much?

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
Re: How much can I raise my handlebar?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 04:02:04 PM »
I got a riser for my handlebar but I?m concerned about my cables and hydraulic lines being too tight. As I turn to the right the lines tighten up. It?s hard to tell if there is too much stress on them. I know I won?t turn the wheel 90 degrees while riding but could when handling the bike at other times. How can I tell if they are being stretched too much?

I am in the process of doing the same on my Radrover 5, The riser gets here tomorrow, Am following this thread, And will chime in with my results, By the way I put up a similar post here,      https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,9252.0.html
Thanks, Paul

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »
I hit a ditch and flew off my bike once. In a situation like that, the front wheel is more stable turned 180 degrees because of the front rake and my bike wheel turned 180 degrees. I also hit a tree not directly but took it on the handlebar. That also turned my wheel 90 degrees or more. I turned my front wheel over 90 degrees a few times - I am not sure if I did it in a standing (stopped) fall.

I wouldn?t want to have a bike where I cannot turn the front wheel 180 degrees.  All my bikes, electric or not, can do this.  You have to decide what to do for yourself.

Take care.

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 10:22:05 AM »
It might be that Rad didn?t leave enough slack to use the riser. I don?t know if there is a different style riser that would allow me to raise it a little less.

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 05:21:58 PM »

Yeah, my handlebar can flop way over when I'm not riding. I put a riser on my Radmission. That didn't raise the bar enough, so I put a second on the first. Flopping left would have damaged my rear brake cable and unplugged the rear brake signal wire, so I replaced them.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 08:53:41 AM »
I got a riser from Amazon for 7 inches or around 180mm. Something like that I forgot the details.

I replaced a mini step thru 2 folding stem which has a 12 inch riser (by my estimate) so I actually dropped 5 inches. No cable problems because of that.

How many inches or mm do you need?

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 01:56:45 PM »

I am in the process of doing the same on my Radrover 5, The riser gets here tomorrow, Am following this thread, And will chime in with my results, By the way I put up a similar post here,      https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,9252.0.html
Thanks, Paul

Just installed the riser on my Radrover 5, It brought up the bar height about 3 3/4 inches. Much more upright riding position,  All the cable lengths seem fine,  When the weather clears I will go on a 15 or so mile ride to Wilders, (light trail and pavement)  and report back on how things went.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:59:11 PM by santacruzpaul »

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 09:04:28 AM »
Before I got the riser, I reversed the stem 180 degrees.  That brought the handlebar much closer to me.  Maybe this would help in your case.  I think quite a few Mini ST2 people do this.

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 09:55:29 AM »
Before I got the riser, I reversed the stem 180 degrees.  That brought the handlebar much closer to me.  Maybe this would help in your case.  I think quite a few Mini ST2 people do this.

Thanks for the advise Eric, But,
I checked out reversing the stem on The Radrover 5, It would have put handlebar position way too far back for me on this particular bike,

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 08:16:16 PM »
The riser I started with has a shape that tapers down from the section that fits over the stem to the section that the handlebar fits over. That taper prevents the handle bar from going as low as it might otherwise. I replaced it with a riser that has a straight edge transition so I was able to raise the handlebar less. That gives me increased height without causing my lines to stretch too tight.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 08:16:16 PM »