Author Topic: Lectric Radwagon killer  (Read 1932 times)

BeachWagon

• View Profile
Lectric Radwagon killer
« on: February 23, 2023, 07:10:40 AM »
Lectric has just come out with a cargo bicycle, the Xpedition and it has many upgrades compared to the RW4.

From what I've seen, it is lighter, more powerful, comes with hydraulic disk brakes, has 20x3" tires, and is available as a one or two battery model for hundreds less than a RW4. Also, the rear rack accessories seem better thought out than Rads.

Seems that Rad is going to need to make an updated Radwagon to be able to compete. 

SemperVee

• View Profile
Re: Lectric Radwagon killer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »

Totally Agree.. 

BeachWagon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 08:58:47 AM »
Yeah, I'd probably get a Xpedition today if I hadn't bought a RW4 during the great ebike boom during the shutdowns. The RW4 was the best option for me at the time, I think. I've gotten a huge amount of use out of it, but I'd like something with better brakes and more power. 

I'd like to try hydraulic brakes as I find I have to adjust my mechanical disk brakes about every 250 miles.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 10:53:45 AM »
I've gotten a huge amount of use out of it, but I'd like something with better brakes and more power. 

I'd like to try hydraulic brakes as I find I have to adjust my mechanical disk brakes about every 250 miles.

If I'm not mistaken, both the 35A controller/display upgrade and the mechanical/hydraulic brake caliper upgrades from Area13 should work on your Wagon.  I have a MiniST2 though, not a Wagon, so do a compatibility check first, especially the cable lengths for the Wagon's longer frame.  They're both very good upgrades for more power and better stopping, so if they fit your ride I think you'd be happy too.  And no mods to brake handles, switch or cabling necessary vs. a full-hydraulic upgrade.

https://www.area13ebikes.com/collections/motor-controllers-and-displays/products/radkit
https://www.area13ebikes.com/collections/brakes/products/juintechm1
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 10:55:24 AM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

BeachWagon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 11:27:51 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion, JimInPT.

I'm going to look into the hydraulic brake update.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 01:24:21 PM »
I'm going to look into the hydraulic brake update.

It's a very simple, drop-in upgrade - I had to maneuver my hex socket around my Mini's rear frame a bit for the rear swap, but it fit perfectly and just took a little longer than doing the front.  Watch the video a couple times and it'll become clear.  Note that you may not need all the spacers and other things that come with it; make a good note of your existing caliper installation and any spacers, then just duplicate that.

One other nice feature is that the new caliper squeezes both pads to the disc from both sides, unlike stock which only moves one side, slightly warping the disc with each brake application.  So just squeeze the brake handle before doing final tightening and it should self-align easily.

Pads come with the calipers, of course, but if you want to stock spares, I think this is the best price I found (I have three sets, they are sold individually):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322871678918

BeachWagon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 09:54:18 AM »

One other nice feature is that the new caliper squeezes both pads to the disc from both sides, unlike stock which only moves one side, slightly warping the disc with each brake application.  So just squeeze the brake handle before doing final tightening and it should self-align easily.

I was a bit disconcerted when I first adjusted the brakes and realized that they are single piston disc brakes! It would be more expensive, but possible, to make mechanical cable brakes that were at least two piston so that the rotor wasn't being warped each time you brake.

I don't think the instructions I saw made clear that you want to adjust the inside pad as close as possible to the rotor, without rubbing, on the stock RW4 Tektro brakes to increase power and reduce rotor warping when the outside pad squeezes the rotor.

I can imagine that one of the things people are paying for when buying higher end cargo bicycles is quad piston hydraulic brakes that self-adjust.

I can imagine in the future, Rad is going to need to update the Radwagon to having hydraulic brakes as standard. I'd advise anyone looking to buy a cargo ebike to seek out hydraulic brakes with the cutoff switch built in when buying new.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 10:46:09 AM »
Given that your Wagon is big and heavy relative to the rest of the Rad line, let me re-suggest that controller upgrade too, if budget allows.  It will provide up to 1,600w unless you limit it to less in settings, which would really help your hill-climbing and acceleration from a stop.  It won't increase top speed (you can still set it to about 25mph, though) but the torque increase is impressive.  There are settings that allow you to adjust how the power ramps up as well, so you can tune it to your preference.

Here's a vid summarizing settings if you're curious:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_NEXdUCOiY

There are a couple of hills in my town that the stock controller couldn't handle; they're no sweat for the upgrade.

Harhir

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 07:36:25 AM »
Lectric has just come out with a cargo bicycle, the Xpedition and it has many upgrades compared to the RW4.

From what I've seen, it is lighter, more powerful, comes with hydraulic disk brakes, has 20x3" tires, and is available as a one or two battery model for hundreds less than a RW4. Also, the rear rack accessories seem better thought out than Rads.

Seems that Rad is going to need to make an updated Radwagon to be able to compete.

The 450 lbs payload capacity is impressive. This is a 100 lbs more than Rad is rated for. But I wonder what the quality would be at a price that low. I have a RW3 and the quality is ok but not that great. But I can't complain for what I paid for.
What I find interesting in general: You have quite a few electric cargo bikes in the $1500-$2,000 range like The Radwagon, Lextric XPedition, Blix Packa, Flyer L885  ... and then hive bikes in the $4,000 to $6,000 range like the Tern HSD, Trek Fetch+ 2, Xtracycle, .... Bu there seem to be hardly any bikes in the $2K to $4K range.

BeachWagon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 08:33:02 AM »
The 450 lbs payload capacity is impressive. This is a 100 lbs more than Rad is rated for. But I wonder what the quality would be at a price that low. I have a RW3 and the quality is ok but not that great. But I can't complain for what I paid for.

What I find interesting in general: You have quite a few electric cargo bikes in the $1500-$2,000 range like The Radwagon, Lextric XPedition, Blix Packa, Flyer L885  ... and then have bikes in the $4,000 to $6,000 range like the Tern HSD, Trek Fetch+ 2, Xtracycle, .... Bu there seem to be hardly any bikes in the $2K to $4K range.

That is interesting. What do you think would sell people on the upgraded price range? I see this site has an Aventon Abound cargo bike review that's in this "mid" range.

With the high end stuff, I know what I'd be looking for, though such a bicycle doesn't make sense for me now. I'd want a mid-drive bicycle with a belt drive, geared rear hub, and four-piston hydraulics. Also, I'd expect the lights and accessories to be very high quality. I'd want something that has a powerful motor and good size battery.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 08:33:02 AM »