News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RR5 New Motor Not Working

Started by CG31, January 31, 2023, 06:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

CG31

Just replaced the rear wheel assembly which includes a new motor. The old one I removed was still working but the new one doesn't. When I press the throttle I can feel a little surge and the display shows some wattage but that is it. Any ideas?

Eric7

Are you using an original equipment wheel?

I have no experience but with my taillight, I had to plug and unplug 10 times.  I guess some oxidation on the connectors. 

Worth a try but it is unlikely to be your problem.

CG31

It appears that the wiring harness on the new one is damaged, noticed a nick on one of the small wires. Just put the old one back on with the new tire and it works fine.

inoxa

Is the new motor that same specs?  Because if it isn't the controller may need to be upgraded.
But of course a nick in the wiring could very well be the problem.

DaveC

My Rad 5 controller went out Nov 21st.  Rad City told me new controllers would be in "at the end of January." So on Jan 31st, I email them and ask where my controller is.  Response:  Not in yet, supply chain issues.  So I ask for an estimated date.  Response:  We don't know when we might get them.  Result:  I have a Rad bike that's been dead for two and a half months, and Rad City can't even tell me when (or if) I might someday get a replacement part.  I bought two identical Rad bikes (for me and the wife), and the controllers on BOTH bikes have failed.  Rad city is selling bikes with a controller they know is coming defective from their supplier, and they don't fix the problem, don't provide replacement parts.  I would advise anyone considering buying Rad to carefully research their long standing and continuing problem with defective controllers, before spending a lot of money for something that might better serve as a boat anchor.

JimInPT

Quote from: DaveC on February 09, 2023, 08:08:55 AMI would advise anyone considering buying Rad to carefully research their long standing and continuing problem with defective controllers, before spending a lot of money for something that might better serve as a boat anchor.

If "RR5" is the Rover 5, contact Area13 or ElectroBikeWorld and order up one of their 35A controller/display upgrade kits for that bike (both are the same parts, just branded differently).  You'll have a much stronger bike, more features (how does cruise control sound?) and a much better display for about $230 bucks - and no waiting, assuming they're still in stock.  Should be plug-and-play, but you may have to fiddle the controller mounting with zipties and/or heavy-duty velcro mount strips or other means.  It's also likely you'll have to tweak the parameter settings for your bike and preferences; here's a video outlining that:  https://youtu.be/y_NEXdUCOiY

Have one from Area13 on my MiniST2 for the last year and it's an amazing improvement in performance, tunability and new features.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

CG31

Upon further inspection of the wiring harness, I would definitely have to say it is my issue. Anyway I most likely have a good spare motor if the wiring is repaired. Doesn't look like a simple job so I will just leave it as is for now.