Author Topic: Project Rad Wagon  (Read 3709 times)

klurejr

• View Profile
Project Rad Wagon
« on: January 31, 2023, 03:03:00 PM »
A close friend to our family had this Rad Wagon Cargo eBike stolen from them a few months ago. They replaced it and then the Oceanside PD recovered it in a bike theft sting operation. It was returned to them but vandalized. They were able to get coverage on from their insurance and gifted it to my family.

This is exactly what my wife and I have been talking about for her to use to take my daughter to school next year, so I have through the summer to get it fixed up and running again.

Looks to be missing the Battery holder, Battery, basket bolts and a chain. All the cables need to be replaced or at least adjusted, and I plan to sand and refinish the wood steps and the bottom of the basket.

I have no idea what they used to try and paint the bike black.... I can only assume whomever stole it was trying to change the color so it would not be recognized????

I will try some solvents to see if I can just restore the white, and then possibly get a nice decal kit for it. If I cannot get it cleaned up I will strip it all the way down, sand it and get it painted.

Tires are in good shape and I am hoping the hub motor still works.

As I work on it I will post updates here. Just picked it up last night and I am not sure when I will be able to start working on it, but I am really excited for this rebuild.

The previous owners had the serial number transferred to my name with Rad Power Bikes, so I can order parts from them.

Any suggestions or places to start with testing the motor? I have rebuilt a number of regular bikes over the years, but never an eBike, so the electronics will be new for me. Any advice or suggestions on other online resources are appreciated.

This is my first post here, so I will be digging around on this site as well for more info.

klurejr

• View Profile
Re: Project Rad Wagon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 04:16:23 PM »
I took some Rubbing Alcohol on a rag and some of the top coat of paint rubbed off, but not much and I had to put some effort into it.

Anyone know if solvents that might take the top coat off without penetrating the clearcoat on the original paint? I think that is a long shot, but worth asking.

tacomanatx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 06:46:00 AM »
Might be easier/ less headache to sell it and apply those funds to a new bike

Harhir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 07:26:26 AM »
I would do some research about graffiti removal. There are cleaners/solvents out there which are made for this kind of paint removal. I think the bikes are powder coated originally and the thugs probably used rattle cans to paint the bike.
The other more expensive option would be to strip the frame down completely, have it media blasted and powder coated in you personal color.
As for testing the motor I would look for a replacement battery and holder and see if you can get this back together. The cheapest option might be to find another donor ebike.
Good luck.

klurejr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 10:33:29 AM »
I would do some research about graffiti removal. There are cleaners/solvents out there which are made for this kind of paint removal. I think the bikes are powder coated originally and the thugs probably used rattle cans to paint the bike.
The other more expensive option would be to strip the frame down completely, have it media blasted and powder coated in you personal color.
As for testing the motor I would look for a replacement battery and holder and see if you can get this back together. The cheapest option might be to find another donor ebike.
Good luck.

Thanks, I am going to try some Lacquer Thinner in small amounts to see if it will pull the black off. I don't need this bike to be pristine, so if I do strip it and sand it I will paint it myself. I have done that sort of work before and have a few friends who do bodywork touchup paint for cars and could even engage one of them for a nice paint job without the expense of sandblasting and powder coating, though I will at least price that out as well since it might not e as expensive as I think it is.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 01:20:22 PM »
If I'm seeing the display panel pic right, you've got moisture trapped behind the front plastic?  That might not bode well for internal corrosion.  That, plus possible damage to the controller, would lead me to just replace both with either the EBR or Area13 35A controller upgrade kit to get new parts, a lot more pulling power and more features.  I assume a version is available for the Wagon, but not certain of that.  Unless something has changed, they're identical except for logos, so buy the cheapest available at the moment.  There are good vids and Chinglish documentation available for the parameter settings, here's a little info I posted recently:  https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,9086.msg21144.html#msg21144
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:32:43 PM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

klurejr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 01:46:48 PM »
If I'm seeing the display panel pic right, you've got moisture trapped behind the front plastic?  That might not bode well for internal corrosion.  That, plus possible damage to the controller, would lead me to just replace both with either the EBR or Area13 35A controller upgrade kit to get new parts, a lot more pulling power and more features.  I assume a version is available for the Wagon, but not certain of that.  Unless something has changed, they're identical except for logos, so buy the cheapest available at the moment.  There are good vids and Chinglish documentation available for the parameter settings, here's a little info I posted recently:  https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,9086.msg21144.html#msg21144

Thanks for the info. I was planning on disassembling the controller and LCD to see if I could dry it out and remove any corrosion that might be in there. If that does not work then I will upgrade the unit.

klurejr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 03:57:27 PM »

Thanks for the info. I was planning on disassembling the controller and LCD to see if I could dry it out and remove any corrosion that might be in there. If that does not work then I will upgrade the unit.

Does not look like I can open the LCD without breaking the casing, so I might need to replace it.

I had some time today to strip the bike down, then took it to a local eBike shop I like to get the headset and BB removed. The BB had some rust in the threads and it took them a bit to get it loose.

I sent in some pics of it to a local Powder Coating company to get a quote, they are closed on the weekends so I hope to hear back next week.

Progress Photos:

klurejr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 07:25:09 AM »
It was a beautiful afternoon and with rain coming in tomorrow I took the frame out and started sanding it. My wife brought some steel wool and started using that, which re.inded me that a buddy suggested a wite wheel on a drill, which I had. So I took that out and it made quick work of the spots where the paint ran thick and puddled, was good for cleaning the cable guides too.

I roughed up most of the frame using some 120 grit sand paper. I am pretty sure I got the paint off that will come off without bringing everything to the metal. Some of that black paint is still there, but is not flaking off.

I used some canned air to get the dust off, then I cleaned it with mineral spirits before putting it back in the garage.

I need to disassemble the center stand and sand it and the fork.

Once that is done I am gonna get some lacquer thinner and clean the frame with that and see if some of the black will come up, then get some self etching primer and prime the frame.

Due to sun angle I did not take photos as you really could not see much.

klurejr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 09:30:37 AM »
I hand sanded it and started with an etching primer on Saturday since we finally had some good weather. I used the trick of warming up the rattle can in a sink of hot water. Helps make the spray fine without drops. I got through 2 cans when my third failed and I took it back, but there was not more of that brand and color so I will get more soon and finish the primer.

My wife decided she really likes the way the olive crab of the primer looks, so I will go with a similar color paint and use a matte clear on it.

Not much to look at, but how it stands now.

Of course it is raining again this week so no progress for a while.

ChopChop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »
Nice project. 

We ride the kids to school on the Rad Wagon 4.  It is so nice riding right past the line of cars waiting to get into the drop off area and then to ride out past the same cars 15 minutes later.

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 08:05:21 AM »
That new primer looks great. Kind of military looking. LOL
I will need to keep that in mind if I ever want to change the colour of my RW4. I think it makes the bike stand out. I will wait patiently to see the bike once you've put it back together.

klurejr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 01:30:43 PM »
Nice project. 

We ride the kids to school on the Rad Wagon 4.  It is so nice riding right past the line of cars waiting to get into the drop off area and then to ride out past the same cars 15 minutes later.

Thanks. Yes that is the plan! Pickup and drop off is a pain when in the car. Doing it via bike will be so much easier.

That new primer looks great. Kind of military looking. LOL
I will need to keep that in mind if I ever want to change the colour of my RW4. I think it makes the bike stand out. I will wait patiently to see the bike once you've put it back together.

Thanks, When I picked this primer it was due to it having a self-etching factor for the places where my sanding exposed the metal, the color was not a factor but it does look really cool. And my wife liked it so the base color will be similar. This storm is blowing up today, I am hoping to have some time on Sunday to sand a few spots I missed the first time around and then put on the final coats of primer and hopefully have a base color picked out next week.

klurejr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2023, 08:25:29 AM »
Finally got a top coat on the bike. My wife changed her mind from the Army Green since that is actually an official RAD Color you can get from the factory.

Went with a Dark Grey with Metallic Glitter flake in it. I really like the results.

Probably going to do Blue Accents for the Cable Housing, etc.

Here are some pics of the progress.

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 11:42:57 AM »
That's a nice looking colour.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 11:42:57 AM »