News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Choosing a tire pressure

Started by Traildad, January 23, 2023, 03:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Traildad

I see that Rad recommends 20-30 lbs for my RadRover 6 plus. I?ve always filled my tires to the pressure shown on the sidewalls. I expect to be riding on streets, bike paths and light off road. I?m looking for advice on choosing a number that will best fit my needs. I plan to use Flat Out and Mr Tuffy tire liners. I want good traction mostly and of course a pressure that?s not likely to handle poorly or easily come off the bead. Then comfort after that. Any tips on choosing tire pressure?

Radio Runner

If you going to use Flat Out don?t bother with Mr. Tuffys. You won?t need them and they may actually interfere with the sealing process.

I am amazed with Flat out. I used 16 Oz. In my 20? RRunner rear wheel and so far have survived 3 huge nail punctures. Just make sure to pull out the nails or whatever when the spot is facing down so it plugs fast.

Goosecreek

I run around 18 unless I will be on a lot of pavement then I run 25. I don't like pinch flats and do not get the chance to ride in the snow.

Traildad

Quote from: Radio Runner on January 24, 2023, 10:10:35 PM
If you going to use Flat Out don?t bother with Mr. Tuffys. You won?t need them and they may actually interfere with the sealing process.

I am amazed with Flat out. I used 16 Oz. In my 20? RRunner rear wheel and so far have survived 3 huge nail punctures. Just make sure to pull out the nails or whatever when the spot is facing down so it plugs fast.
Is that because of the built in flat protection in the RadRover tires?  I?ve seen other recommendations to use both flat out and Mr Tuffys.

Eric7

I suggest starting low, say at 20 pounds.  Get used to the bike.  Pump it up to 25 pounds and see if you feel better.  Then pump it up to 30 pounds and see if you like it better.

I use 30 pounds myself because the lower rolling resistance gives me better power and range.  I am a road or well worn path rider so I don't need mud/dirt traction or even a soft ride as roads are pretty smooth.

Some people use lower pressure for traction on dirt and a more comfortable ride.

Decide for yourself.

Escher

Im up to 40 plus and has seriously improved my range, bit bumpy but I have installed a seat post dampener work great!

Russ61

I've ridden my 2018 Rover > 4000 miles, about 40% road (paved or gravel) and 60% off road. At first, with just Kenda tires & inner tubes, I rode @ 20 psi, sometimes experimenting down to 17-18 psi. I'm 250 and carry about 10 lbs of gear.....making ideal tire psi range considerably different than for a 150 lb rider. After a rear tire puncture (worst kind!) I inserted Mr Tuffy 3XL liners but after a series of flats (woodland sharp sticks, woody thorns) I opted for Tannus Armour inserts (combined with Mr Tuffy liners...not an easy install) I've had no (knocks on wood) additional flats in 2+ years. They do feel heavier (rotational intertia), but you get accustomed to it as normal.

Tannus Armour advice is all over the map re psi recommendations. Most advice centers on riding ~ 3 psi less than you would otherwise. I now run as low as 14-14.5 psi when off road where speed (and less rolling resistance) is less of a factor and ride comfort and tire grip are more important. Tire performance on paved roads/Rails to Trails is notably different @ 14-17 psi than @ 20-21 psi. Increasingly I'm using higher psi when on hard, smoother surfaces OR when I'm on a long ride that will exhaust me and/or my battery.....and where rolling resistance optimization becomes more of key factor, ie you can go faster, further, with less battery at 20 psi than with 15 psi. Life is full of compromises including that the tire footprint is different, and thus wear pattern is also different, as you change psi. Higher psi usage on hard surfaces tends to really wear downt the knobbies centered on the tires.

Fionn

Initally I couldn'd see where the psi was printed on the tires so just opted for 25 psi, it seems to be a good choice for mixed surfaces, looking at my tires I'm thinking I'll need to replace them soon!

nellyw

For off-road and trail riding, lower tire pressure can provide better traction and a smoother ride as the tire conforms to the terrain. However, too low a pressure can increase the risk of pinch flats or the tire coming off the bead. You might experiment with slightly lower pressures on off-road trails to find the right balance between grip and stability.

wilsh

Usually, the side of each tire has a maximum inflation recommendation (in PSI or bars). A number like this can tell you how much air you need for your bike. I suggest checking this source https://www.bikertricks.com/bike-tire-pressure/ for more information.

Different inflation pressures are needed for different bicycle tires, so you should check before you pump. As long as you follow this number, you should be fine.

handlebar

I read somewhere what the sidewall pressure means. They inflate a tire until it busts off the rim. The DOT says half that pressure is the maximum safe pressure and must be put on the sidewall. My Radrunner 1 manual says anything more or less than that pressure, which they don't state, is unsafe.

JimInPT

Quote from: handlebar on August 26, 2023, 05:51:59 PMMy Radrunner 1 manual says anything more or less than that pressure, which they don't state, is unsafe.

I think the reason for that is the stated pressure is tire-specific, so if Rad permanently (like with the Minis) or temporarily ships with different tires, they don't have the risk of reprinting the manual if the replacement tire has a different rating. 
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.