Author Topic: Controller failure - no parts in sight  (Read 1736 times)

iamokaye

• View Profile
Controller failure - no parts in sight
« on: February 08, 2023, 10:07:05 AM »
We bought 2 Rad City bikes for Christmas 2021 when they were the latest model. We loved them until a controller failed and we were told we were 4 days out of warranty. The warranty starts the day they are delivered (Nov 2021). Since then I've been trying to BUY a replacement part. You can't place an order if they don't have the part in stock. They are out of stock. They were out of stock in November, each month I'm told they'll have the part at the beginning of the next month. It's now February and I don't even have an order placed. Clearly, the controllers have a problem! I expected a high-quality bike from a reputable company. With my experience, I fear that RAD will go out of business and my $4000s will have turned into aggravation and a total loss.

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: Controller failure - no parts in sight
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 07:06:40 AM »
That truly sucks, and situations like yours are the first thing that came to mind when I saw that post with the message from the CEO, promising to do better.  Plenty of opportunities to do better.

I haven't needed any customer support on my ST2 in a year and a half, but always had stellar experiences.  Had to wait a long time to get the rear basket but haven't needed any replacement parts.

You should make a written record of your attempts to get a new controller if you haven't already - might come in handy to eventually pound one out of them at no charge.  Alternatively, I don't know if aftermarket controller upgrades are available for the City, but you might want to check with Area13 and ElectroBikeWorld to see what they might have to offer (they sell essentially identical 35A controllers for various Rad models, I put one on my Mini and it's a much-stronger bike now for $225).

Good luck and if you think of it, please come back to update; lots of us are curious about the Rad customer experience these days.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

shawn_F

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 07:26:20 AM »
I purchased (2) Rad City 5's at the same time as you and the controller went out on one of them last September. It took 4 months to get the controller and now I am having issues with the Pedal Assist. Haven't been able to ride this bike in over six months. Now its out of warranty and I have to pay for additional parts. Am now waiting for another part to hopefully fix this issue.

Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 11:21:15 AM »
I purchased (2) Rad City 5's at the same time as you and the controller went out on one of them last September. It took 4 months to get the controller and now I am having issues with the Pedal Assist. Haven't been able to ride this bike in over six months. Now its out of warranty and I have to pay for additional parts. Am now waiting for another part to hopefully fix this issue.

I?d follow up and put your headaches with it in a polite but strongly worded letter/email. At a minimum, they should extend the warranty for the time they couldn?t supply you with the controller. That?s bullshit.

inoxa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 03:50:02 PM »
Yes Area13 has the controller that will work for the RadCity.  It will give you a much needed off the line torque. 

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 03:50:02 PM »