News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Increasing Top Speed

Started by Greger9213, January 22, 2023, 04:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Greger9213

My first e-bike?RadRover 6 plus. Love it so far but have seen YouTube videos on increasing top speed by going into the programming menu and changing some settings. Is this safe to do? I wouldn?t want to do anything that would damage my new bike in anyway but would love more speed of course! Thank you!

JimInPT

Assuming the rider is capable of handling the bike at higher speeds, yes it's safe, doesn't hurt anything and can be removed using the same method.  However, I'm not sure if your newest-model Rover has that hidden menu to open up the top speed.  I'm sure others will chime in to help you with the procedure if it does.

Unlocking my MiniST2's top speed was one of the very first mods I did and aside from making the bike a little bit better hasn't changed anything.

Welcome to this forum, by the way.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Adams

Bigboom338

It does work, however for only 2 or 3 mph you aren't gaining much.

John Rose

Quote from: JimInPT on January 22, 2023, 07:53:49 AMUnlocking my MiniST2's top speed was one of the very first mods I did and aside from making the bike a little bit better hasn't changed anything.
I have a RadMini ST2 (2020) and I was able get to the menu and change the setting from 32 to 40 km/h. However, on my test drive the next day (level paved road, teeny bit of tailwind, full twist throttle), the top speed I could get was about 34 km/h.
Whee!

I double-checked the setting afterwards just to confirm that it did not somehow reset to 32 after powering it down.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

handlebar

Quote from: John Rose on October 05, 2023, 03:08:14 PM

I have a RadMini ST2 (2020) and I was able get to the menu and change the setting from 32 to 40 km/h. However, on my test drive the next day (level paved road, teeny bit of tailwind, full twist throttle), the top speed I could get was about 34 km/h.
Whee!

I double-checked the setting afterwards just to confirm that it did not somehow reset to 32 after powering it down.

My 750 watt Radmini produced 500 watts of mechanical power. My 500 watt Radmission produced 350 watts. With aftermarket controllers, they produce 1000 and 700 watts, but both top out around 38 km/h. Back EMF seems to top out these motors at that speed, and going to a 52-volt battery would mean only a slight increase in speed.

mrgold35

I have two older 2016 Radrovers and I could adjust the motor cut off from 20 mph to a touch under 25 mph.  I also had to adjust the tire size on the LCD screen from 26" to 28" because my rover odo/mph was a little off compared to my wife's Radcity's odo/speedo and off compared to neighborhood speed limit radar signs. 

I ended up changing my max cut-off speed to around 21 mph because:
- the 7-speed gearing is set around 20-22 mph and I really couldn't pedal +25 mph
- I can only use the throttle at 22-25 mph; which, lowers my range and more wear/tear on the motor at max power
- the standard knobby tires felt a little squirrely at +20 mph; especially, in a turn.  I figured it was because of the smaller contact patch from all the tiny knobbies.  Solved my high speed stability issue with Vee Rubber Vee8 120tpi tires (way less noise, better high speed stability, longer tread life).
- the standard brake cable started to fray and break strands with repeated stops at +22 mph.  Had to upgrade the brake cables to Jagwire brand.
- quickly found out the standard brakes are not designed for repeated and emergency stops at +25 mph. They glazed over and were very noisy.  Upgrading to TRP Spyke brakes+TRP pads solve the emergency/noise issue.

My two 2016 Radrover are still going strong with my 2nd set of Vee8 tires, 2nd set of TRP brake pads, and zero issues with original chain/hub motor/brakes after 4000 miles on each ebike.

JimInPT

Quote from: mrgold35 on October 16, 2023, 06:53:25 AMI ended up changing my max cut-off speed to around 21 mph because:<snip>

You make some very valid points that I agree with, and I'm too old to really push it at 25mph on a regular basis, although I occasionally hit that, or even up to about 32 mph briefly, going downhill while slightly riding the brakes.  Plus, my MiniST2's steering geometry gets a little squirrelly at speeds above about 20 mph anyway, requiring two hands on the bars - I'd hate to be doing 25 and have to suddenly try to avoid something crossing my path.  I'm not particularly afraid of speed per se (and still own the motorcycle I took up to 137 mph) but like Clint Eastwood said "A man's got to know his limitations."

However, I didn't reduce my top speed limiter from 24/25mph for one reason - sometimes speed saves.  If I ever find myself having to dart across an intersection or get out of the way of a tailgater about to hit me, I don't want to have any speed limits.  I realize the 1600 watts mainly provide torque for acceleration and hill-climbing but it would annoy me to hit the wall at an arbitrary 20 mph if I don't have to and could use a bit more in the moment.

It's there if I need it, is the TL;DR I suppose.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

handlebar

Quote from: JimInPT on October 16, 2023, 03:41:32 PM

If I ever find myself having to dart across an intersection or get out of the way of a tailgater about to hit me, I don't want to have any speed limits.

I've never seen a tailgater hit anyone unless of course he was breaking wind. Anyone who blows by a tailgate party at 24/25 mph is sure to be breaking wind.