News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

How much do you trust your Rad?

Started by Traildad, January 16, 2023, 09:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Traildad

I?m hoping to do some rail trail rides this year. They have some 20 mile or longer rides in CA. I imagine I could end up 10 miles or more from civilization. Even with cell service a breakdown would be a big problem if there isn?t any way to get help to your location. An unexpected 10 mile hike would not be desirable.

tacomanatx

I would.  If I still commuted the 13 miles each way to work  (vs work from home) I would absolutely be on my Rad.  I would have 3 batteries though so one is always charging at each end.

JimL

I have an "exercise" loop (when weather allows) that is about 40 miles.  My MiniST is fine with this distance.  It only has a few hills and is certainly not as flat as "rail trails".  I typically get home  with 2 bars still showing on the battery meter.  Most of the rail trails I have ridden are pretty much gentle climb (one direction) and almost coast (the other direction).

My wifes Expand5 is lighter and would do even better with narrower tires.  The Expand5 is noticeably lighter and definitely steers better than my MiniST.  In my family we have 2 MiniST and 4 Expand5.  None of them have ever given us trouble except replace the cheap "plated" front wheel bearings with good 1/4" hardened bearings.  Rear bearings have never been a problem (I am over 4000 miles on my ST).

The lower effective gear ratio of the smaller wheels probably helps improve the range.  My friends Rad Rover 5's get lower on battery charge, on the same ride.  They have to pedal harder, but they are 30 years younger than me.

If you go with the Expand 5, get a "wired" bike speedo, not the wireless type.  It makes it nice to track your miles accurately.

Hope this helps.

Traildad

I?m thinking about what we would do if a controller went bad etc. I plan to use flat tire prevention and I can fix most mechanical malfunctions. If something in the electrical system fails I might be walking out.

Harhir

Quote from: Traildad on January 18, 2023, 09:18:31 PM
I?m thinking about what we would do if a controller went bad etc. I plan to use flat tire prevention and I can fix most mechanical malfunctions. If something in the electrical system fails I might be walking out.
Why? You can still pedal even if the controller or motor fails.

Water Doc

I do not think you have much risk of a controller failure,  as far as distance is concerned we regularly ride 25-30 miles every day and never drop below 3 bars remaining.  If your ride includes lots of up-hill riding you may need to be more aware of your battery reserve especially when exceeding 30 miles. Our 2 mini's are lighter resulting in better battery management than the heavier Rad runner + that I normally ride.   
Dennis
RadMini4 and RR+

jfo

I did the walk of shame one night in 2021, I was out until midnight about 10 miles from home and ran over a three inch roofing nail sitting straight up while crossing a bridge. Should have had a patch kit but didn't and didn't want to wake anyone. Took a couple hours to walk home but wasn't the end of the world. You can put the bike in walk mode to make it easier, well presuming the electronics aren't fried.

Eric7

Don't trust your life to any product. Don't go anywhere where you cannot walk back to safety. For example, I would not bike 10 miles into Death Valley in the summer and bike out.  If the bike breaks, I will be close to dying.  I would not drive in the desert in the summer for the same reason - any breakdown is an instant emergency.

I trust the bike will let me down.  It is not meant to get you out of a dangerous situation (like being 10 miles in a desert).

Of course, riding on the neighborhood, neighborhood parks, anywhere you can get an uber or taxi, paved roads, things like that, it is mostly all fine.  The best thing is to bring a buddy.

RadMig

Just my humble opinion but other than a flat tire? People power pedal it home. By the way common Sense dictates always carry a little box for roadside repairs. Learn how to take your bike apart and put it together. Stay close to known areas that have access to bathrooms and services. I like the other man's comment about being aware of biking outside of civilization. Again common Sense would dictate satellite cell phones emergency gear and emergency water and food store or par for the course. My bike is like a mini version of my own home in that sense. For someone with autoimmune deficiencies and medications it becomes even more vital to carry some extra medication for emergencies. Other than that I'll be able to ride my bike soon since the safety recall tires are arriving and I have a pending appointment to have the bike repaired. I bought the red wagon for back in August and haven't ridden it much since less than 50 miles.. just saying.

Goosecreek

If you are really concerned get an In Reach ,Spot , or some other emergency gps device.
I have a spot which allows me to send a preprogrammed message to someone.  Or for enough money you can text whatever whenever

Muskie1

I have a Mini 4 , only one issue that caused a fall. Kickstand bolt fell out, no thread lock on it. Their tool kit sucks a minor wipe out .
Get a good allen wrench set and a good wrench for the rear axle bots.
You don't need a flat with horrible tools.

Traildad

Quote from: Goosecreek on January 20, 2023, 02:49:07 AM
If you are really concerned get an In Reach ,Spot , or some other emergency gps device.
I have a spot which allows me to send a preprogrammed message to someone.  Or for enough money you can text whatever whenever
I?ve been carrying InReach/Spot for years when I was riding my ATV, backpacking or kayaking. I?d definitely use my InReach in case of an accident/injury or medical emergency. I?m not sure about non-emergency situations. I don?t imagine there is a AAA for bicycles that will ride out and tow me in. I?m guessing there might be a sheriff?s bike patrol that could come out assuming the trail doesn?t have room for a motor vehicle. If it?s just a mechanical problem, what are they going to do? I think it?s something I will have to consider carefully before going on a ride.

Goosecreek

I program my spot to request help from a few friends,  then notify them before I leave so they are aware and can coordinate a plan to pick me up.
All of that is for riding motorcycles in areas that do not have cell service.  I am not sure how that would work in an area without a road 🤣

Traildad

Quote from: Goosecreek on January 21, 2023, 12:24:17 AM
I program my spot to request help from a few friends,  then notify them before I leave so they are aware and can coordinate a plan to pick me up.
All of that is for riding motorcycles in areas that do not have cell service.  I am not sure how that would work in an area without a road 🤣

I took my kayak into the National Forest a couple hours off the freeway to go fishing. My alternator died and so did my battery. I was able to communicate with my wife so she could bring me a new battery and I was able to get back home with her help. My InReach was indispensable for that kind of trip. But as you said, ?How would that work without a road?. Maybe I can figure out a way to tow one bike with the other and hope they don?t ever both break down together.